IGNORED

Kory Smith passing?

brady bunch

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, both LJ and MA states that everything was on hold and the likes of Smith and Williams were happy to sign short term extensions with no guarantees.  

Either way, we knew Williams wouldn’t need be staying past this season. If they wanted to keep Smith past this season they wouldn’t have left it to now, he could quite easily turn around and go somewhere else. 

I would be shocked if there will be a coming together for contract talks now.

11 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Either way, we knew Williams wouldn’t need be staying past this season. If they wanted to keep Smith past this season they wouldn’t have left it to now, he could quite easily turn around and go somewhere else. 

I would be shocked if there will be a coming together for contract talks now.

He said re Williams “we’ll need to see where his legs are”.

I agree, I don’t think he’ll be here either, and LJ might just of been being careful with his words.

10 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Walsh Morrell an A. N. Other needed next year....... 

If we do go with these two next season i would like to see a Marvin Elliott type player tall, tough tackling good in the air, full of energy hard man. A midfield destroyer.

I disagree with people saying his injuries have caught up with him, he was one of our best players shortly after he returned from injury before the covid break, this really surprised me as I thought he would be done. 

What's obvious is that he maybe cant play week in week out, were playing lots of football atm and it must be hard. I personally would love for him to get another 1 year contract, he'd be perfect for coming off the bench for 25 mins or covering for injuries etc, he's also good cover at RB.

If he gets a good 3 year offer from another club then maybe we wish him good luck. But I'd be offering him another year.

If LJ gets a lower end Championship job or top end L1 job, then it'll be interesting to see how many fringe players follow him. He will undoubtedly have first refusal on anyone we don't want once he's back in management. It was levelled often at him that players didn't respect him etc, however players have followed him before and many have signed permanently after being managed by him whilst on loan.

Smith would be one for me that I could see playing under LJ again elsewhere. I think he still has plenty to offer a mid table championship side, just not so much for one that has serious ambitions about consistently challenging in the top six.

I'd definitely offer him a new 12 month contract and see if he accepts.

For all the people criticising him and saying he's past it at this level - is there not the possibilty that he's playing through an injury at the moment, to help with our weakened midfield?  It would certainly explain any unusual drop in his ability / form.

On his day, he's still a quality player and would always be in my squad.  

Morrell, Walsh and HNM are all decent mid championship quality, but very few teams get promoted from this division without at least 2 tall dominant, ball-playing midfielders (someone mentioned Marvin Elliot who is exactly the type of player we need). Pack was decent and ticked most boxes, but you need all of what Pack had, plus box-to-box athleticism.

Smith's never been a great passer of the ball anyway.  Putting him as the only core central midfielder in the team isn't a great idea as it puts too much emphasis on him to make key passes, rather than simply sticking to the basics of using his high energy and passion to better effect.

12 hours ago, Lez said:

Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell.....nowhere near good enough for the championship playoffs.

I don't know how you know that Morrell and Walsh are nowhere near good enough. I also don't think we've seen enough of a fit Nagy to know if he's nowhere near good enough. You making hasty judgements.

24 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't know how you know that Morrell and Walsh are nowhere near good enough. I also don't think we've seen enough of a fit Nagy to know if he's nowhere near good enough. You making hasty judgements.

I'm not saying this individually....I'm talking about a collective group and depth. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I'd definitely offer him a new 12 month contract and see if he accepts.

For all the people criticising him and saying he's past it at this level - is there not the possibilty that he's playing through an injury at the moment, to help with our weakened midfield?  It would certainly explain any unusual drop in his ability / form.

On his day, he's still a quality player and would always be in my squad.  

It depends on what you want.

Teams in the championship are generally making more passes than Bristol City. Some teams above BCFC are making two hundred plus passes a game more. That is a trend.

The number of passes Bristol City have been making is dropping. The accuracy of Bristol City's passing has dropped. The possession the team has also dropped over seasons. Korey Smith is not inaccurate with his passing or remarkably accurate, he does not break lines frequently with his passing or have lots of assists. He is not a obviously technical player. He is more a physical player who is past his physical peak. 

If building from possession is a future intent of the next Manager/Head coach. Korey Smiths key skills do not obviously fit that intent.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

There's no sentimentality here, alas he has to go. He's been a liability since footy resumed. winding down in l1 or2 would be better and can have a send off as a wisened veteran. 

Those suggesting Morrell needs another loan at what, 24 may want to rethink that and a Nagy (starting to impress as finds his footy legs) HNM and Walsh and Morrell actually is tasty, full of options and depending on manager may mean we see what they are capable of rather than playing to insane instructions and phases. 

Could probably do with a bit more height and beef in the midfield mix though. As others have said, a Marvin Elliot type would be fantastic.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

There's no sentimentality here, alas he has to go. He's been a liability since footy resumed. winding down in l1 or2 would be better and can have a send off as a wisened veteran. 

Those suggesting Morrell needs another loan at what, 24 may want to rethink that and a Nagy (starting to impress as finds his footy legs) HNM and Walsh and Morrell actually is tasty, full of options and depending on manager may mean we see what they are capable of rather than playing to insane instructions and phases. 

Nagy impress? Must of missed that game ?? 

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I dont agree, games moved on somewhat since then, but hey ho

Aye may need new set of eye goggles. 

What game did he impress you? I’ve only been impressed on one occasion and that was when he first signed and played QPR apart from that thing he is over rated, never puts a boot in, his passing is woeful (makes smith look like Gerrard) never jumps for headers!! 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

For me if he plays like that consistently then give him a new contract. He was superb.

I think Hull game he maybe had too much to do. But I thought Weimann was a bit deeper at Boro and it meant Korey wasn't so isolated.

Don't know what we do in midfield next season if we do keep Korey on. With Paterson looking so good a bit deeper. With Weimann playing that well deeper too.

Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics returning. Massengo, Nagy and Palmer. 

Only room for 3 of all those players in the same side.

But he doesnt play like that consistently. And of course it is far easier for him when playing side who completely bypass the midfield.

Agree he was much improved Saturday, he remains one of our stronger players overall. As the OP, it was his passing that got to me and my son.. that also was okay at the weekend.

His problem in terms of a renewed contract, is that he is now injury prone, we have a like for like replacement in Joe Morrell + Nagy, Walsh, HNM. 

There is not going to be an increase in spending next year, so from a budget / age point of view, a new contract is not likely IMHO.

Archived