IGNORED

Another club statement about Lee Johnson - getting too much IMO

CodeRed

36 minutes ago, Llama0 said:

There are individuals on this very forum from the point of his appointment have wanted nothing more than for him to be sacked. Yes, it was a divisive appointment, but a lot of people never put their support behind him. After every single loss you would see people chiming up on here calling for him to be sacked. Even when after we were in 4th this season, following the defeat against Millwall, those posts existed. I call that toxic and not helpful in the support of the manager and/or the club.

And then there are the pathetic people who constantly attack his height. Or call his appointment nepotism.

See above.

Mental health does not differentiate between an internet forum and real life. I'm not saying Johnson was affected by it, or even read these comments. But to someone who does it can have terrible consequences. See the number of public figures who have taken their own life this year due to social media.

Not a newbie, been a lurker for years. Just fed up with this place, this is the first place rival club fans come to for our fans opinions, and when its is covered with posts bashing the current manager, former manager, or players to this extent (by far the worst I've seen on any clubs forums). It gives a terrible impression of our fan base as a whole of which I've heard from numerous fans of other clubs who have visited this place.

Every time someone posts on this forum in defence of Johnson or Bristol Sport people like you immediately jump in and claim that they are family members. Why? What is so bad about others opinions that you need to make these claims? Its a petty rebuttal.

Easy ride from our supporters? Don't make me laugh. See above.

You can't claim that he had an easy ride in one sentence, and then say he was a divisive character in the next. That would indicate he did not have an easy ride.

Sorry mate, you’ve completely lost me there.

So you can’t see that given the shit he’s dished up over the last, he could have had it far, far worse than he did?

This is a discussion forum after all, so that’s what we do on here ..... discuss.  LJ has got no need to come on here and see what’s being said.

In the stadium, imho he’s got off very lightly indeed ..... what do you think??

I think what this thread reminds us is that we do not all share one sense of humour. Not everyone enjoys or even "gets" satire, not everyone watched Spitting Image, not everyone reads Private Eye, it's not everyone on here that will remember, say, Bill Hicks, never mind have found him "amusing."

And, er, some people liked Bob Monkhouse, and mother-in-law jokes, and, um, like Michael McIntyre.  

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think what this thread reminds us is that we do not all share one sense of humour. Not everyone enjoys or even "gets" satire, not everyone watched Spitting Image, not everyone reads Private Eye, it's not everyone on here that will remember, say, Bill Hicks, never mind have found him "amusing."

And, er, some people liked Bob Monkhouse, and mother-in-law jokes, and, um, like Michael McIntyre.  

'I call my wife 'treasure', she looks like she's just been dug up' Les Dawson 1984

On 09/07/2020 at 12:26, warbie_118 said:

@CodeRedwhat an embarrassing post. The guy gave everything to this football club, and you take the piss even when he’s gone. Get a life

Well I think you should clamber down off that high horse and read my " club statement" again . At no time does it take the piss out of Lee Johnson.

It does, however, parody the over the top sentiments expressed by many fans and in particular the relentless practice of the club in going over the top at every opportunity.

Bristol (and much of the south west at large as it goes) is a place full of very laid back people, and Bristol City is mostly supported by those same imperturbable individuals.

If Johnson had been managing a team in the north, like Sunderland, Leeds or Blackburn he'd have got significantly worse. Comparatively, he's had quite an easy ride in my view. 

37 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Bristol (and much of the south west at large as it goes) is a place full of very laid back people, and Bristol City is mostly supported by those same imperturbable individuals.

If Johnson had been managing a team in the north, like Sunderland, Leeds or Blackburn he'd have got significantly worse. Comparatively, he's had quite an easy ride in my view. 

He always gets a warm welcome at Barnsley though.......

6 hours ago, Llama0 said:

Or call his appointment nepotism.

Ok. I’ll bite. Do you genuinely think that he got this job on merit? Do you genuinely think that he’d have got the job if our owner had been anyone else other than a good family friend?

Because although some will never say it, that’s blatantly the only reason he got the job and we all know it. It’s Steve Lansdown’s club, he can do as he wishes but LJ was brought in as a friend, not the most capable manager we could have had at that time.

Please don’t tell me you think otherwise?! ???

On 09/07/2020 at 11:06, Steve Watts said:

I've got quite a broad sense of humour.  In terms of stand up I like anything from the crass style of Jimmy Carr to the groan-worthy one-liners from Gary Delaney to the clever observational comedy of Bob Monkhouse.  Sit-coms such as Fools and Horses, Big Bang, Inbetweeners etc (so again, various styles).  Stuff like Mrs Browns Boys and Miranda not my cup of tea.

I just see this sort of thing though as (intended or otherwise) providing encouragement for people to have another go at someone who has taken a battering already - I just don't see the point.  Like I said, maybe I'm just having a bad day, but hey ho.

Humour is a varied thing and we can’t all laugh at the same things, or life would be boring.

Just to put it in context though, look at programmes like Not the Nine O’Clock News and Spitting Image, when they absolutely tore public figures to pieces.

John Major never shook off his Grey Man image, thanks to Spitting Image.  That stuff was right out there in the public domain and watched by millions.

Any stuff about Lee on here pales into insignificance compared to that.  

Anyway, he owes us a few laughs as compensation for the football!!! ??

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Ok. I’ll bite. Do you genuinely think that he got this job on merit? Do you genuinely think that he’d have got the job if our owner had been anyone else other than a good family friend?

Because although some will never say it, that’s blatantly the only reason he got the job and we all know it. It’s Steve Lansdown’s club, he can do as he wishes but LJ was brought in as a friend, not the most capable manager we could have had at that time.

Not denying there wasn't a small part of nepotism involved, there always would've been due to the Johnson family relationship with the Lansdown family. But to say it is strictly nepotism and without merit is just wrong. He had just won manager of the month and guided Barnsley to the EFL Cup final, having an already close relationship was just a perk at the time.

And also, the fact he joined Oldham when they were in a relegation battle, saved them and improved their position year on year. Then joined Barnsley in relegation battle, saved them and was in the position of improving their position in the year he joined us. I think someone who had a track record of saving clubs from relegation and then improving them was a good appointment, and it was proven correct.

Go on, name a more capable manager at that time who would've been willing to join a club sitting 22nd in the Championship.

I think otherwise. Was a good appointment, that did a good job. Now time to move on and hopefully appoint someone that will take us to the next level.

you sound very bitter towards LJ for some unknown reason. Probably one of those that hated him as a player for no reason so hated him as a manager 

6 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

I think otherwise. Was a good appointment, that did a good job. Now time to move on and hopefully appoint someone that will take us to the next level.

you sound very bitter towards LJ for some unknown reason. Probably one of those that hated him as a player for no reason so hated him as a manager 

You think he would have got the job if he hadn’t been a friend of the Lansdowns?

1 minute ago, warbie_118 said:

Well he was clearly an upgrade on what we had previously. As he did a much better job in the championship.

You think nobody else with that amount of patience and backing couldn't have done better? 

Cotterell removed so clean slate. Apparently City an attractive option. 

So Johnson is the outstanding candidate yeah ok... 

4 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

At the time he was getting good reviews across the football family and even whilst he was with us - remember those Manchester games ? Seen as a promising young manager. Whilst SL is a family friend he is also a business man , it hasn’t worked out as SL hoped (see his recent Talksport interview) but LJ’s stabilised us as a Championship club, just look at some of the other championship clubs during that time. Our opponents on Saturday are a prime example , six managers and fighting relegation.

6 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

I would imagine employing someone you know happens more often than you think. Why wouldn’t you employ someone you know and trust?

it will probably end in tears and a lost friendship

21 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

I would imagine employing someone you know happens more often than you think. Why wouldn’t you employ someone you know and trust?

Oh, I imagine it happens all the time, but I’ll ask you again, do you think he’d have got the job if he hadn’t been mates with the Lansdowns?

Yes or no?

I’ll help you out:

”yes” - blatant lie. 

“no” - you’re accepting it was an appointment based on nepotism. 

1 hour ago, Llama0 said:

Not denying there wasn't a small part of nepotism involved, there always would've been due to the Johnson family relationship with the Lansdown family. But to say it is strictly nepotism and without merit is just wrong. He had just won manager of the month and guided Barnsley to the EFL Cup final, having an already close relationship was just a perk at the time.

And also, the fact he joined Oldham when they were in a relegation battle, saved them and improved their position year on year. Then joined Barnsley in relegation battle, saved them and was in the position of improving their position in the year he joined us. I think someone who had a track record of saving clubs from relegation and then improving them was a good appointment, and it was proven correct.

Go on, name a more capable manager at that time who would've been willing to join a club sitting 22nd in the Championship.

You’re not answering the question are you!? ????

Are you going to answer mine?

8 hours ago, Llama0 said:

There are individuals on this very forum from the point of his appointment have wanted nothing more than for him to be sacked. Yes, it was a divisive appointment, but a lot of people never put their support behind him. After every single loss you would see people chiming up on here calling for him to be sacked. Even when after we were in 4th this season, following the defeat against Millwall, those posts existed. I call that toxic and not helpful in the support of the manager and/or the club.

And then there are the pathetic people who constantly attack his height. Or call his appointment nepotism.

See above.

Mental health does not differentiate between an internet forum and real life. I'm not saying Johnson was affected by it, or even read these comments. But to someone who does it can have terrible consequences. See the number of public figures who have taken their own life this year due to social media.

Not a newbie, been a lurker for years. Just fed up with this place, this is the first place rival club fans come to for our fans opinions, and when its is covered with posts bashing the current manager, former manager, or players to this extent (by far the worst I've seen on any clubs forums). It gives a terrible impression of our fan base as a whole of which I've heard from numerous fans of other clubs who have visited this place.

Every time someone posts on this forum in defence of Johnson or Bristol Sport people like you immediately jump in and claim that they are family members. Why? What is so bad about others opinions that you need to make these claims? Its a petty rebuttal.

Easy ride from our supporters? Don't make me laugh. See above.

You can't claim that he had an easy ride in one sentence, and then say he was a divisive character in the next. That would indicate he did not have an easy ride.

I am one who never wanted him. 

Why? Because he did not give me any confidence that he would be any better than his father. After all, LJ played 95% of his career for only one manager, his father.

Neither could handle (manage) anyone who had achieved success that the Johnsons only dreamed about. Neither have been comfortable with non British players.

Both are willing to publicly slay their own players. Why would any player give / perform at 100% when they've been "done" by the manager in public?

And finally, I didn't believe that Lee Johnson had the managerial ability to get us back to the top tier if English football.

In 1976 when Alan Dicks managed to so do, it was 63 years since our previous time in the First Division.

It's now forty years since  we saw that level at Ashton Gate. LJ never got near. That's why he had to go!

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh, I imagine it happens all the time, but I’ll ask you again, do you think he’d have got the job if he hadn’t been mates with the Lansdowns?

Yes or no?

I’ll help you out:

”yes” - blatant lie. 

“no” - you’re accepting it was an appointment based on nepotism. 

I didn’t think he was the right man upon appointment, but over the next week or so, I could sort of see why SL went for him.  But I still thought there were better candidates out there.  We even had to pay compensation!!!

My view of him as a player never came into it, because I only ever saw him play 45 minutes live.

Over the 4 1/2 years he did some good things, but he usually ended up making me go back to previous thoughts that prompted posts titled:

• Placebo
  • Sledgehammer

I liked him, I wanted him to be a success, but I think the job came too soon.  I’ve not seen enough learning from mistakes, but will watch his next move closely in the hope the experience here was development.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I am one who never wanted him. 

Why? Because he did not give me any confidence that he would be any better than his father. After all, LJ played 95% of his career for only one manager, his father.

Neither could handle (manage) anyone who had achieved success that the Johnsons only dreamed about. Neither have been comfortable with non British players.

Both are willing to publicly slay their own players. Why would any player give / perform at 100% when they've been "done" by the manager in public?

And finally, I didn't believe that Lee Johnson had the managerial ability to get us back to the top tier if English football.

In 1976 when Alan Dicks managed to so do, it was 63 years since our previous time in the First Division.

It's now forty years since  we saw that level at Ashton Gate. LJ never got near. That's why he had to go!

I think that an understandable stance to have. But at the time of his appointment I'm not sure they were looking for someone to get us into the top tier of English football, rather someone that could save us from relegation. And Lees track record with Oldham and Barnsley showed that he had the managerial ability to do that exact job.

Lee did a good job at trying to get us to the top tier, and almost managed it but unfortunately came short. And I know the majority opinion is that it was time for him to move on (I hold judgement until I see who they replace him with), but the attacks on his character in my opinion is not needed (not from you! in general).

10 hours ago, Llama0 said:

I think that an understandable stance to have. But at the time of his appointment I'm not sure they were looking for someone to get us into the top tier of English football, rather someone that could save us from relegation. And Lees track record with Oldham and Barnsley showed that he had the managerial ability to do that exact job.

Some unbelievable bullshit twice being posted about LJ's record by you.

Barnsley were mid table (16th) when he took over, they finished  mid table (11th).  He didn't "save them from relegation"

The next season they started poorly and an 8 game losing run saw them 22nd - in the relegation position- by November  . I mean, you can see why Lansdown already had him in his thoughts, they did eventually improve and they were 12th when Bristol City came in for him. So 16th when he joined, 12th when he left. His whole managerial career has screamed mediocrity.

In a career spanning 3 clubs and 9 seasons he's never had a top 6 finish.

we're well rid 

25 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Some unbelievable bullshit twice being posted about LJ's record by you.

Barnsley were mid table (16th) when he took over, they finished  mid table (11th).  He didn't "save them from relegation"

The next season they started poorly and an 8 game losing run saw them 22nd - in the relegation position- by November  . I mean, you can see why Lansdown already had him in his thoughts, they did eventually improve and they were 12th when Bristol City came in for him. So 16th when he joined, 12th when he left. His whole managerial career has screamed mediocrity.

In a career spanning 3 clubs and 9 seasons he's never had a top 6 finish.

we're well rid 

I think Barnsley fans pointed out to us their good fun came when there were injuries and he was sort of forced to pick a team and stick with it.  Someone said similar happened at Oldham, but I’m less sure on that.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Barnsley fans pointed out to us their good fun came when there were injuries and he was sort of forced to pick a team and stick with it.  Someone said similar happened at Oldham, but I’m less sure on that.

Pretty sure Barnsleytyke told us the injuries meant he had to play Adam Hamill who he wouldn't play previously due to his work rate (Kasey Palmer?) , Hamill came in and scored a few, made some assists and they turned the corner.

The clues were all there

Archived