IGNORED

Fullbacks

Clutton Caveman

I have to wonder what has happened to our full backs.

Hunt looked OK when he came, never lightening fast but had enough experience not to get caught out too often and could deliver a great pass and cross.

Now anybody under 35 and 100kg just has to push the ball past him and run. You get past or get a foul.

His crossing has become hit and hope. The commentator last night said his cross leading to the goal was great, but it went straight to a defender.

On the other side DaSilva. In the secondhalf last night he got a great pass in loads of space in their half, he had only one bloke to beat and so passed it back to halfway. Twice he was beaten for the ball and just jogged back leaving the centre backs to correct his mistake. Clearly at some point he had something to be an England under 21 but at the moment he looks overweight, out of form and disinterested. I think we look weaker in defence since he came back in the team and he is showing nothing going forward.

I hope he benefits from a new coach reading him the riot act.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Hunt looked OK when he came, never lightening fast but had enough experience not to get caught out too often and could deliver a great pass and cross.

Now anybody under 35 and 100kg just has to push the ball past him and run. You get past or get a foul.

His crossing has become hit and hope. The commentator last night said his cross leading to the goal was great, but it went straight to a defender.

On the other side DaSilva. In the secondhalf last night he got a great pass in loads of space in their half, he had only one bloke to beat and so passed it back to halfway. Twice he was beaten for the ball and just jogged back leaving the centre backs to correct his mistake. Clearly at some point he had something to be an England under 21 but at the moment he looks overweight, out of form and disinterested. I think we look weaker in defence since he came back in the team and he is showing nothing going forward.

I have thought all season that our full backs are a weak link. 

Right backs are really average and not good enough.

DaSilva is OK going forward but is not good defensively and goes missing. 

Think the new manager will have to improve them or get rid.

Hunt has been a disappointment overall but I actually thought he did ok last night. He has a year left on his contract & as I’d be amazed if there was any interest in him from elsewhere this summer on his wages, I’d be inclined to let him see it out as a squad player for next season.

Vyner (or even Moore if he cannot get in at CB) are decent alternatives. No point in Zak being with us at 23 otherwise.

Dasilva had a decent second half & a poor first one, his season has been interrupted by injury & he hasn’t looked the player we thought but he is still very young & we simply have to persevere. If we do revert to a back four though it cannot be with Hunt at RB, that is simply too short a pairing.

Yep.

After dealing with our non-existent midfield, the two full back positions need attention. That’s six players required... more than half a team! 

Not a great legacy after 4.5 years imo. 

Forwards (may need one extra), central defence (ditto) and keepers (if Bents can get out of his ‘dodgy keeper’ mode) should be ok. 

Wow! Bigger job than it should be at this stage of our ‘evolution’. 

Pereira is a huge upgrade on hunt and we need to sign him. Young also so good future value potential.

dasilva does seem to have gone backwards. He’s lost confidence in taking on his man and crossing a ball in. Hopefully a new manager can rediscover that. Don’t need to replace him though as he’s one of the best full backs in the league, just not on form.

14 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Pereira is a huge upgrade on hunt and we need to sign him. Young also so good future value potential.

dasilva does seem to have gone backwards. He’s lost confidence in taking on his man and crossing a ball in. Hopefully a new manager can rediscover that. Don’t need to replace him though as he’s one of the best full backs in the league, just not on form.

Pedro at £5.5m? Not sure about that. I don't dislike him, but I'm not totally convinced.

50 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Ryan Nyambe from Blackburn please..quality...

21 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Most players are an upgrade on Hunt but for five and a half million the can do one. A million tops and I’d say go for him!

Dasilva has been one of the few player that has put in a shift in all game post lockdown. He's solid from a tackling point of view, however obviously struggles in some height and strength perspectives, but even yesterday kept a Wilks pretty quiet apart from a couple of hopeful shots and one or two decent crosses which were dealt with.

The problem attacking wise is that there is 0 movement from anyone when one of our players have the ball. This means our passing is very static going from one side to the other, but also it prevents the opposition having to follow runners allowing whoever has the ball to run into space. The amount of times Dasilva has been down the left and COD is stood still on the edge of the touchline, or Wells and Fam/Afobe are just stood next to the centre backs in the box, there's not much more he can do apart from turn back, or simply hoof the ball into the box.

For next season, Hunt is certainly a good back-up right back, Dasilva can be first choice left back with Pring as back up, so we really only need a first choice right back. Pedro may be too expensive, so maybe have a look at the relegated teams if there's any good ones, or possibly the team in league 1 who didn't go up?

To suggest we need 6 new full backs shows a complete lack of understanding of squad depth, availability, the finances around COVID, the point of the academy and probably football in general. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Dasilva has been one of the few player that has put in a shift in all game post lockdown. He's solid from a tackling point of view, however obviously struggles in some height and strength perspectives, but even yesterday kept a Wilks pretty quiet apart from a couple of hopeful shots and one or two decent crosses which were dealt with.

The problem attacking wise is that there is 0 movement from anyone when one of our players have the ball. This means our passing is very static going from one side to the other, but also it prevents the opposition having to follow runners allowing whoever has the ball to run into space. The amount of times Dasilva has been down the left and COD is stood still on the edge of the touchline, or Wells and Fam/Afobe are just stood next to the centre backs in the box, there's not much more he can do apart from turn back, or simply hoof the ball into the box.

For next season, Hunt is certainly a good back-up right back, Dasilva can be first choice left back with Pring as back up, so we really only need a first choice right back. Pedro may be too expensive, so maybe have a look at the relegated teams if there's any good ones, or possibly the team in league 1 who didn't go up?

To suggest we need 6 new full backs shows a complete lack of understanding of squad depth, availability, the finances around COVID, the point of the academy and probably football in general. 

Re JD I think we must be talking about a different player. When he is one on one with the fullback he always passes back inside. Just not look fot 

28 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Re JD I think we must be talking about a different player. When he is one on one with the fullback he always passes back inside. Just not look fot 

I think you need to re-read my post because that's exactly what I said. Rather than some people claiming he's not that good because he does this, I'm looking at the fact he has no-one to pass it to because our attacking players are just stood still. So all he can do is turn back and pass. The only other alternative is to just hoof it into the box.

I was thinking about the sheer number of players who played at Right Back during LJ’s time. 
Off the top of my head:

Ayling

Moore

Wright

Vyner

Matthews

Hunt

Pisano

Little

Pedro P

Smith

Brownhill? 

That’s quite a lot and certainly doesn’t suggest the old mantra of “only bringing in players to improve what we have”. 

4 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Doubtful, mate. Can't see it meself:

"If any persons to the number of 12 or more unlawfully, riotously, and tumultuously assemble together to the disturbance of the public peace and being required by any Justice by proclamation in the King's name in the exact form of the Riot Act I, George I, Sess. 2 c. 5 s. 2, to disperse themselves and peaceably depart, shall to the number of 12 or more unlawfully, riotously, and tumultuously remain or continue together for an hour after such proclamation shall be guilty of a felony.

The Form of proclamation is as follows:-

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves and peaceably depart to their habituations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the Act made in the first year of King George the First for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies.

GOD SAVE THE KING. COYR."

Worth a try though, I suppose. I think Marlon Pack was underrated in his ability to prevent tumults upon our goal.....

3 hours ago, grifty said:

I joked the other day, how was he supposed to play well with COD in front of him....but I don’t think he’s been at his best.  But I base a lot of that on him being wasteful in final third.  Last night he was up against Wilks who he did pretty well against.

Jay was pretty active on the ball, Pato often the recipient of his passes.

image.thumb.png.0994d28c8879662f25a2ecac649e7a6f.png

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

The only time Hunt could deliver a cross was for the fist six months of this season.

He's bang average imo.

Jay is right now a play-off standard full-back. Looked poor since the restart, but will improve and his been a standout at times this season.

Never been a Hunt fan, offloading him seems like a no-brainer.

Rowe looks solid and can play in multiple positions, so keeping him seems a good move.

Pereira is OK, but has a lot of holes in his game, can definitely do better in the summer.

Hunt's form has been poor and Vyner has outperformed him when he's played there for me.  I do like Pereira.  I think he makes up for Hunts defensive downfalls and was getting better with a run of games before covid.  But £5.5m is too much for a right back at this level.

Dasilva I think has struggled to regain his fitness/sharpness since the injury, but you can still see the quality is there.  Incidentally I would say his bet games have probably been with Eliasson in front of him.  They link up really well.  Certainly one to keep, but he needs competition as I can't see Tommy Rowe staying long term and whichever way you look at it he'll never be more than a back-up option for the left back role.  Just a note to say though that Tommy performed his duties superbly in Jay's absence, but JD is a natural full back.

Archived