Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Fam will be a massive loss


Recommended Posts

Have i missed something, is it common knowledge he is leaving?

That would be a big loss, i personally think that we would be better off letting Afobe go with his injuries and cost of making it permanent know that we have bought Wells as they are more similar. Fam definately is a pain for defenders.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Why would we assume that he will be leaving. Another thread assumes we will not be signing Afobe. If this us so then we should await arrival of new manager before selling any if the current squad.

Exactly this - yet another non thread

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We only seem to have a goal threat when Fam is on the pitch....full stop.

That’s not quite true. Nahki Wells had a couple of decent chances last night. His Championship goal scoring record shows that he knows where the net is.

Under LJ it’s been the midfield creativity that’s been missing.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robbored said:

That’s not quite true. Nahki Wells had a couple of decent chances last night. His Championship goal scoring record shows that he knows where the net is.

Under LJ it’s been the midfield creativity that’s been missing.

Nahki had a couple of decent chances.......WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

Nahki scored the other week.........WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

I'm not saying the others cannot score (in Wells case he has a better career record) but when Fam is playing we create chances one way or another. When he isn't we literally create NOTHING.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Nahki had a couple of decent chances.......WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

Nahki scored the other week.........WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

I'm not saying the others cannot score (in Wells case he has a better career record) but when Fam is playing we create chances one way or another. When he isn't we literally create NOTHING.

He's also our best defender..! 

I said to friends last night, he's literally irreplaceable for us, in our position/budget etc. 

Really, really hope he's here for several years to come. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Nahki had a couple of decent chances.......WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

Nahki scored the other week.........WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

I'm not saying the others cannot score (in Wells case he has a better career record) but when Fam is playing we create chances one way or another. When he isn't we literally create NOTHING.

Fam actually has a better career record than Wells.

They are close but Fam has scored at a rate of about 0.36 per game over his whole career, Wells is at 0.33. That gives Fam a seasonal average of 16 with Wells on 15.

If you look at just league games at Championship and Prem level only then Fam stretches further ahead as Wells drops to 0.29 per game. Wells has 112 goals in 210 games, Fam has 37 in 110. I say including the Prem - Wells has only played 9 games in that league and has 0 Premier League goals.

They are both effectively 1 in 3 strikers, but Fam actually slightly edges it.

 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Nahki had a couple of decent chances.......WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

Nahki scored the other week.........WHEN FAM WAS ON THE PITCH.

I'm not saying the others cannot score (in Wells case he has a better career record) but when Fam is playing we create chances one way or another. When he isn't we literally create NOTHING.

Well......I do get your point but Kalas, Dasilva, Hunt.....et el were also on the pitch..............:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is more to come from Fam and i hope it is here for us. With a better midfield behind him he would have probably had another 4 or 5 goals already this season.

It would take a considerable amount of money to improve upon Famara.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Fam now has 40 goals for us which makes him our third highest all time goal scorer. He only needs 10 more and he’ll overtake Scotty Murray as our record goalscorer. Legend in the making. 

Is that at our current level? I'm pretty sure our record goalscorers don't go Atyeo, Murray, Diedhiou.

I was looking this up yesterday and it's hard to find good stats.

One thing I do know is that Fam, if he stays another season, is likely to become the first player to score 50 goals for us since Murray.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/all-time-goalscorers/

Edited by ExiledAjax
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Fam now has 40 goals for us which makes him our third highest all time goal scorer. He only needs 10 more and he’ll overtake Scotty Murray as our record goalscorer. Legend in the making. 

I am pretty sure Tony Thorpe, Shaun Goater, Lee Peacock, Nicky Maynard, Wayne Allison, Bob Taylor and Scott Murray had all scored more goals for Bristol City.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I am pretty sure Tony Thorpe, Shaun Goater, Lee Peacock, Nicky Maynard, Wayne Allison, Bob Taylor and Scott Murray had all scored more goals for Bristol City.

Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe scored over 50 goals for City as did Scott Murray and Shaun Goater

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

What "all time" are you referring to ? Here's the list https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/all-time-goalscorers/

This one, https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/topTorschuetzen/verein/698
 

Honestly I was a bit surprised at the numbers and looking at it further the criteria (it’s not just championship) isn’t clear. 
 

Point still stands that Fam is great though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe scored over 50 goals for City as did Scott Murray and Shaun Goater

Yeah that's why I am saying they all scored more than Fam. Peacock scored more than 50 also which is always surprising. Not sure Goater hit more than 50

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

To be fair to @Wade Wilson he's looking more at the second tier of English football, so he will be further up the list because of that.

That transfermarkt list includes League One too (Since Baldock is on there with 36). So I genuinely have no idea the criteria there and I’ve clearly jumped the gun due to my love of Fam. Could be goals since 2000? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

To be fair to @Wade Wilson he's looking more at the second tier of English football, so he will be further up the list because of that.

Nope....TransferMarkt has those figures were totals....which shows that it's a complete crock of shite!

I think Carling Atyeo's brother John might have something to say about that!  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe scored over 50 goals for City as did Scott Murray and Shaun Goater

Wikipedia stats show that the Goat hit 40 but didn't raise his bat for the half ton. Goater managed his 40 in 75 apps though. Which is pretty impressive.

For anyone too lazy to click the link, this is the club's own list. First number is goals, second is appearances (I think the "+" number is sub appearances?), then obviously their time with us.

351 - John Atyeo (645, 1951-66)
132 - Tom Ritchie (487+17, 1969-81, 1982-84)
111 - Arnold Rodgers (204, 1949-56)
108 - Jimmy Rogers (288, 1950-56/1958-62)
99 - Alan Walsh (279+3, 1984-89)
91 - Scott Murray (343+78, 1997-2003; 2004-2009)
91 - "Tot" Walsh (150, 1924-28)
90 - John Galley (195, 1967-72)
89 - Brian Clark (215, 1660-66)
87 - Sammy Gilligan (211, 1904-10)
82 - Don Clark (128, 1937-51)
82 - Bobby 'Shadow' Williams (214, 1958-65)
78 - Cyril Williams (310, 1939-48/1951-58)

77 - Glyn Riley (231+16, 1982-87)
63 - Lee Peacock (162+13, 2000-2004)
61 - Billy Maxwell (125, 1905-09)
61 - Rob Newman (470 +13, 1981-91)
61 - Tony Thorpe (122+28, 1998-2002)
58 - Wayne Allison (172+54, 1990-95)
58 - Bob Taylor (114+12, 1989-92)
56 - Gerry Gow (434+11, 1969-80)
54 - Chris Garland (234+13, 1966-71/1976-83)
54 - Albert Keating (104, 1925-28/1932-33)
54 - Gerry Sharpe (173+4, 1964-71)
51 - Johnny Paul (215, 1922-30)
50 - Len Townsend (80, 1947/49)

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when he signed couldn't hold the ball up, first touch was atrocious every time I saw him I wondered why we signed him. 

But he has grown on me, his first touch can still let him down but he hassles defences which is what they hate, he takes his chances well and holds up the play he is an underrated player in the team. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the posters thoughts, indeed if it his last game end of season.  I would have applauded him for sure for his effort. I have always held the belief we can do better than fam, and need to.  I would not knock him for effort.  
would  be a great shame he cannot have a hurrah . Another interesting watch once we get a new manager. I can see anyone going until then.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how much better fam looks up top when he actually has support. Players were making runs and getting in and around him, and not every ball was a hoof from the defence into a blind alley.

 

Hes not particularly quick, certainly not from a standing start. So when hes expected to bring it down and take 3/4 touches before anyone else gets into the opposition half he looks poor. Which happened too many times this season. 

 

Add to this his constantly making a nuisance (some of the fouls he won last night helped us regroup) on top of the defense from set pieces (hulls goal last night came from the front post when all the big lads were at the back stick). We have a very tidy player on our hands.

 

I would certainly say in this division fam is rated higher outside of Bristol than he is by our own support, from my somewhat limited experience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Wikipedia stats show that the Goat hit 40 but didn't raise his bat for the half ton. Goater managed his 40 in 75 apps though. Which is pretty impressive.

For anyone too lazy to click the link, this is the club's own list. First number is goals, second is appearances (I think the "+" number is sub appearances?), then obviously their time with us.

351 - John Atyeo (645, 1951-66)
132 - Tom Ritchie (487+17, 1969-81, 1982-84)
111 - Arnold Rodgers (204, 1949-56)
108 - Jimmy Rogers (288, 1950-56/1958-62)
99 - Alan Walsh (279+3, 1984-89)
91 - Scott Murray (343+78, 1997-2003; 2004-2009)
91 - "Tot" Walsh (150, 1924-28)
90 - John Galley (195, 1967-72)
89 - Brian Clark (215, 1660-66)
87 - Sammy Gilligan (211, 1904-10)
82 - Don Clark (128, 1937-51)
82 - Bobby 'Shadow' Williams (214, 1958-65)
78 - Cyril Williams (310, 1939-48/1951-58)

77 - Glyn Riley (231+16, 1982-87)
63 - Lee Peacock (162+13, 2000-2004)
61 - Billy Maxwell (125, 1905-09)
61 - Rob Newman (470 +13, 1981-91)
61 - Tony Thorpe (122+28, 1998-2002)
58 - Wayne Allison (172+54, 1990-95)
58 - Bob Taylor (114+12, 1989-92)
56 - Gerry Gow (434+11, 1969-80)
54 - Chris Garland (234+13, 1966-71/1976-83)
54 - Albert Keating (104, 1925-28/1932-33)
54 - Gerry Sharpe (173+4, 1964-71)
51 - Johnny Paul (215, 1922-30)
50 - Len Townsend (80, 1947/49)

Thanks for posting this. Makes interesting reading. It’s the ones that score at, or close to, a rate of a goal ever other game that really stand out, and history shows they are few and far between. Atyeo, Galley, Thorpe and Taylor. Terrific finishers, all of them. And Goater’s scoring rate, as you say, was also very impressive. Impossible to imagine anyone ever again getting anywhere near Big John’s phenomenal record.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...