IGNORED

SL on talkSPORT...

keflav

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think it was very clear.

He stated he wants someone to get us into the prem and continue with the good work in the academy/pathway. If you need more clues than that, you have my sympathy!!

Point being that he didn't really emphasise one or the other. It's easy to say you want someone who'll do everything. Which one is the main priority?

CH is the obvious choice if you want someone to get promotion in the next couple of seasons. Maybe not if the first priority is to bring on young players and balance the books. Come on Steve, make up your mind if you're going all out for promotion or not. 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Must admit I didn't take that from the interview at all. Which bits made you think that?

SL is very clear in the aim of Premier League football asap (I'm actually surprised about how explicit he is being about that) and appointing an inexperienced candidate is going to leave himself open to considerable criticism if it goes wrong. 

I agree with you, he says we're looking for a manager that can take us that step further than LJ, doesn't sound like a lower league punt to me 

Just now, Natchfever said:

Could mean an internal appointment...

We played well last night and we won.  I bet we win the next 3 as well. Under our temporary coach, after all he probably is aware of our existing squads quality and now i think over the next two weeks we are in for a surprise.

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The vibes coming out of the club just don’t feel right.

With highly respected and successful managers like Chris Hughton and Mick McCarthy publicly declaring their interest, people at the club should literally be doing cartwheels, as I don’t remember us getting managers of that calibre interested in us before. 

Just because a few of our fancied names have actually applied for the job doesn’t mean the process is over, even better applicants may yet show their interest?

There’ll be a deadline for applicants before the short list and interviews before final selection - who knows maybe Pep will fancy a real challenge ?

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Must admit I didn't take that from the interview at all. Which bits made you think that?

SL is very clear in the aim of Premier League football asap (I'm actually surprised about how explicit he is being about that) and appointing an inexperienced candidate is going to leave himself open to considerable criticism if it goes wrong. 

It was nice to hear SL plainly state getting to the Premier League was his aim, perhaps the past appointments are what is making people nervous . hoping this time we get it right and leads to the promise land

Didn’t hear anything there that rules out anyone.

I think people are just desperate to project their own preconceptions about Lansdown and who he will/won’t appoint.

With the club now stable in the Championship, with a decent squad and an excellent infrastructure, it is an entirely different proposition now than it was before any previous appointment.

Keep an open mind.

A lot of jumping to conclusions in this thread I think. 

I get why people are worried about us making the wrong decision here, but we have to trust the club now.

It's clear Lansdown is ambitious. It's clear Mark Ashton is ruthless. And it's clear we're quite an attractive job at the moment. We're in a good place. 

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Anyone listening to this & still thinking Hughton, McCarthy or Karanka are under serious consideration is deluding themselves.

It is going to be a L1/L2 nobody.

Anyone listening to this and thinking they now know what sort of appointment we are going to make is deluding themselves.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Didn’t hear anything there that rules out anyone.

I think people are just desperate to project their own preconceptions about Lansdown and who he will/won’t appoint.

With the club now stable in the Championship, with a decent squad and an excellent infrastructure, it is an entirely different proposition now than it was before any previous appointment.

Keep an open mind.

Exactly, he could have said "I'm going for an experienced manager" and people will say he's lying so he can appoint an up and coming manager to gain experience. I love the fact someone on here didn't even listen, saw 1 quote and decided we're making an internal appointment!

I didn’t hear anything that was particularly new. Same kind of sound bite you’d hear from an owner.

One thing he did say tho that I pleased to hear was “a breath of fresh air”. Hopefully that means exactly what the sentence literally means.

9 minutes ago, Roe said:

A lot of jumping to conclusions in this thread I think. 

I get why people are worried about us making the wrong decision here, but we have to trust the club now.

It's clear Lansdown is ambitious. It's clear Mark Ashton is ruthless. And it's clear we're quite an attractive job at the moment. We're in a good place. 

Just as appointing Hughton etc wouldn't necessarily be the "right" appointment, as nothing guarantees you success - there's no "wrong" appointment, until the new manager has had time to prove themselves as the right or wrong man for the job. 

People need to get behind whoever it is and judge him on how he does here, with us - and only that..! 

44 minutes ago, keflav said:

A few interesting comments from Steve Lansdown...

"We've got a lot of good applicant's"

We've heard it before & and we got;

Lee.

Let's wait n' see,,,though if it's another 'yes' man & the manager/coach himself that's the project (look at his potential),,,then it's not only Johnson that's out as I'll be joining him.

I'm hoping the penny's finally dropped for Lansdown though I'll not hold me breath.

30 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I have the feeling that our current top management set up cannot accept a coach with a strong personality.

I think that confrontation is avoided at all cost and we will look for another nice obedient controllable coach

Not sure i agree. I don't see anything wrong with the hierarchy looking to employ someone that will fit in - personality wise (as well as having the right credentials) - pretty sure the last thing anyone wants is to work with someone that they hate getting up in the morming and going in to work with.  Personally I'd rather work with someone who doesn't set out looking for confrontation but can still do the job excellently. 

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

"We've got a lot of good applicant's"

We've heard it before & and we got;

Lee.

Let's wait n' see,,,though if it's another 'yes' man & the manager/coach himself that's the project (look at his potential),,,then it's not only Johnson that's out as I'll be joining him.

I'm hoping the penny's finally dropped for Lansdown though I'll not hold me breath.

Just a question, but would you stop following the club straight after the appointment of what you believe is a "yes" man, or would you give them a run of games to see how they perform?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I didn’t hear anything that was particularly new. Same kind of sound bite you’d hear from an owner.

One thing he did say tho that I pleased to hear was “a breath of fresh air”. Hopefully that means exactly what the sentence literally means.

Scott Mint o. :laugh: 

11 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Point being that he didn't really emphasise one or the other. It's easy to say you want someone who'll do everything. Which one is the main priority?

It's not one or the other. It's both. Get promotion and continue the good work in the academy. It really is very simple.

10 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Just because a few of our fancied names have actually applied for the job doesn’t mean the process is over, even better applicants may yet show their interest?

There’ll be a deadline for applicants before the short list and interviews before final selection - who knows maybe Pep will fancy a real challenge ?

If we can get even better than those ..... fantastic and we’d really be in uncharted territory.

I just think there’s an odd vibe at the moment and none of the usual upbeat spin about how ‘excited they are at the great options we already have, etc, etc’.

Something just doesn’t feel right.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

I bet if you took the group that used to say "LJ will never be sacked" and the group saying "SL will definitely appoint someone from L1/L2/internal" they'd be composed of largely the same people.

If we hadn't lost to Cardiff he'd still be here. At least that's what it sounded like to me. 

Let's wait and see how this pans out. Not all up and coming managers or ones from L1/2 will automatically mean they'll be rubbish.  Equally we could go for a manager with bags or experience and it turn out a disaster (ask Spurs how they're getting on).

Personally I'd rather we use this moment to bring in someone with PL or Championshop experience to push on but i accept that means we're likely to get someone who wants to spend lots to bring in their team and players which right now we might not be able to do under the current economic issues and what the future looks like.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You want the new manager to LITERALLY bring a breath of fresh air with them?

Talk me through that.

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

Just a question, but would you stop following the club straight after the appointment of what you believe is a "yes" man, or would you give them a run of games to see how they perform?

I’ve never had anybody be able to explain to me why they thought LJ was a ‘yes man’. It’s a soundbite with no basis 

14 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

There is no dead line, they are already interviewing. It’s not like us normal people looking for jobs. The city board have had plan 2 in place now for several months 

Always plenty of comments about the board making bad choices. Personally I think they have been spot on with the last 2.

We were a struggling League 1 side when they appointed Cotts and he was the perfect choice as he got us promoted but then struggled in the Championship. Then came Lee who whatever anyone thinks of him has established us as a decent Championship side and has helped raise the clubs profile as seen by the interest in the job.

Lee clearly had failed to improve us this season for the first time and consequently had to go. So much is now in place so should we do another ‘Cotts’ (short term but may get promotion and then have to be replaced) or someone that can work with all  that is already in place but also get us up. Hughton probably fits the first scenario, maybe a Gerrard/Terry the second. Steve’s comments ‘’get us over the line’ could apply to either in my opinion but what I think is clear is that they will have to work within our set-up not change it. The old corny phrase “Evolution not Revolution” seems to be the case.

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

Was it last time or the time before when we were looking for a Manager we were told that we would be ‘surprised’ by who had applied* Now we have ‘good’ applicants.

*It can’t have been last time as I don’t think there was any surprise when Lee was appointed. Must have been when we got Cotts.

You weren't surprised when Lee was appointed?

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

If we hadn't lost to Cardiff he'd still be here. At least that's what it sounded like to me. 

Yes, if we were in the running for the play offs he would be here. That's his objective, he failed, he went. 

Archived