IGNORED

SL on talkSPORT...

keflav

Surely past experience would tell SL we need a proven manager who has achieved promotion. And surely the success of Pat Lamb next door should reinforce this. But I fear like many it will from the lower ranks and an up and coming manager. If so what a terrible decision it will be. How can a club like Brentford always seem to get it right when picking managers and SL invariably get it wrong.

25 minutes ago, jonnybenn said:

What utter nonsense and tittle tattle. Stop trying to second guess lansdown and get behind your club. 

Last thing we need is negativity.

Posts like this help nobody

hmm...I'm not clear how posts on this form can hinder anybody responsible for making this decision...we'll be left in the dark until the last moment. Nor am I all that clear how OTIB users can 'get behind the club' in the present circumstances...beyond subscribing to the TV service and renewing season tickets, which folk have done in droves.

Anyone bothered by speculation is unlikely to find much to appeal to them on a football discussion forum.

13 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

True. But I do think we do things right way.
Cannot see Ashton tapping up other managers in post? Without doing it by making official approach. especially with his role with the EFL
you could almost guarantee there would then be a leak! I am thinking of the likes of Cook & Robbins at clubs.

I think that’s where Agents come in.....my man is very interested but can’t talk because he’s in a job....do you think you could ask his club for permission.

8 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Surely past experience would tell SL we need a proven manager who has achieved promotion. And surely the success of Pat Lamb next door should reinforce this. But I fear like many it will from the lower ranks and an up and coming manager. If so what a terrible decision it will be. How can a club like Brentford always seem to get it right when picking managers and SL invariably get it wrong.

Proven as what? Getting promoted or developing young players to be sold for a profit?  Which skillset should dominate? People who can do both might be quite rare.

13 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I think that is harsh.  Cotts and Johnson turned out to be good appointments for where we were at the time and both helped the club to advance to the next level.  Incremental steps.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that’s where Agents come in.....my man is very interested but can’t talk because he’s in a job....do you think you could ask his club for permission.

Agent: "Hi Steve, all I can say at this time is that if the pollen is right, the bee will give you the honey."

Lansdown: "Huh? What's that about a bee?"

Agent: "[sigh] Listen, the owl will visit the farm if the farmer opens the barn, wink wink..."

Lansdown: "No. You've lost me. I mean, I've converted a nice barn in Tuscany if that's what you mean...are you planning a holiday?"

Agent exasperated: "Look do you want Bowyer at your shitting club or not!"

BREAKING NEWS: City have agreed terms with Michael Flynn to be the club's new Head Coach on a three year contract. However, there is a hold-up due to the negotiations with Newport County FC over the amount of compensation required. Newport are holding out for £100 to be paid immediately but City are only prepared to go to £50 paid in instalments OR free Clarke's pies for a year.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Hughton was young once! ???

He was indeed. As was I. I remember standing next to the Spurs coach as he climbed off- can’t be exact about the year-1980 ish? He gave me a wink- probably because at 14 I was the only City fan not hurling four-letter abuse. Taking this as an omen, that 40 years ago the footy God knew that destiny awaited.

36 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Proven as what? Getting promoted or developing young players to be sold for a profit?  Which skillset should dominate? People who can do both might be quite rare.

Getting promoted. I thought that was what teams turned and played for.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

Getting promoted. I thought that was what teams turned and played for.

Maybe - but that is made much more difficult if the manager has to sell his two or three best players every year and still be expected to progress towards promotion whilst many of the competing teams have the benefit of parachute payments.  The brief might amount to a pretty tall order.

51 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Brentford have only been any good for about 3 years, just because they are on a good run everyone talks about them as if they were an establishment Premier League side looking to get back where they belong. 

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes was about to post the same thing Dave, Managers do have agents too. 

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

The vibes coming out of the club just don’t feel right.

With highly respected and successful managers like Chris Hughton and Mick McCarthy publicly declaring their interest, people at the club should literally be doing cartwheels, as I don’t remember us getting managers of that calibre interested in us before. Instead of that, the club’s response is very flat, with SL describing them as just “good” applicants.

Just doesn’t sound at all upbeat to me and I’m bracing myself for a big disappointment when the appointment is eventually announced.

With City’s generally piss poor record in managerial appointments, aren’t we all just setting ourselves up for another big letdown, if we hold out hope that they may get one right for a change?

Totally agree, MA & JL should have been straight on the motorway to meet CH, and sell the club and ambition. We won't get this opportunity again. It's really strange, we have the set up for the Prem and are ready to go, but the signs are we're going for a speculative signing again, for the most important role at the club. Hope I'm wrong. If not, and it doesn't work, Ashton's position will be untenable when supporters can return to the Gate.    

4 minutes ago, irishreds said:

Totally agree, MA & JL should have been straight on the motorway to meet CH, and sell the club and ambition. We won't get this opportunity again. It's really strange, we have the set up for the Prem and are ready to go, but the signs are we're going for a speculative signing again, for the most important role at the club. Hope I'm wrong. If not, and it doesn't work, Ashton's position will be untenable when supporters can return to the Gate.    

What are the signs?? 

3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I think it was very clear.

He stated he wants someone to get us into the prem and continue with the good work in the academy/pathway. If you need more clues than that, you have my sympathy!!

Thank god. Someone with sense.

They have my sympathy too 

SL wants the Premier League and will bring someone in that he, MA and JL agree with. 

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

The wild card is if Holden wins five, he may put himself in the running. I know he would like to think so!

26 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe - but that is made much more difficult if the manager has to sell his two or three best players every year and still be expected to progress towards promotion whilst many of the competing teams have the benefit of parachute payments.  The brief might amount to a pretty tall order.

..or you could look at it, there’s a bunch of promoted teams that were in the same league as Rag-Bag Rovers last season, haven’t a penny to scrape together and may not even have a home ground. Several relegated Clubs that have got used to losing, fans on their backs and players just turning up for their salaries, several in exactly the same position as us but with less money being recycled back into the Clubs from sales, much smaller crowds and revenue streams, several who are just rotting hulks waiting for a sugar daddy and when he comes might do a Wigan, and then us.....

... new stadium bounce, new state-of-the-art training ground, one of the longest established and best funded Academies in the Championship, strong and stable ownership with billionaire owner and family who has vast amounts of patience who genuinely supports the Club with ££££’s, best City in the UK and well-connected with the rest of the Country and Europe, growing and outstanding support (:-), part of a wider sporting club, a squad with some very good players and ones with potential to be great ....

Yep, we should’ve done better but, by God, should we be an attractive proposition for someone who is smart!

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

..or you could look at it, there’s a bunch of promoted teams that were in the same league as Rag-Bag Rovers last season, haven’t a penny to scrape together and may not even have a home ground. Several relegated Clubs that have got used to losing, fans on their backs and players just turning up for their salaries and then us.....

... new stadium bounce, new state-of-the-art training ground, one of the longest established and best funded Academies in the Championship, billionaire owner and family who has vast amounts of patience who genuinely supports the Club with ££££’s, best City in the UK and well-connected with the rest of the Country and Europe, growing and outstanding support (:-), part of a wider sporting club, a squad with some very good players and ones with potential to be great ....

Yep, we should’ve done better but, by God, should we be an attractive proposition for someone who is smart!

For me,who ever we appoint has to be Gert smart

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

..or you could look at it, there’s a bunch of promoted teams that were in the same league as Rag-Bag Rovers last season, haven’t a penny to scrape together and may not even have a home ground. Several relegated Clubs that have got used to losing, fans on their backs and players just turning up for their salaries and then us.....

... new stadium bounce, new state-of-the-art training ground, one of the longest established and best funded Academies in the Championship, billionaire owner and family who has vast amounts of patience who genuinely supports the Club with ££££’s, best City in the UK and well-connected with the rest of the Country and Europe, growing and outstanding support (:-), part of a wider sporting club, a squad with some very good players and ones with potential to be great ....

Top man and what a great salesperson!!

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Top man and what a great salesperson!!

I’ve edited the original and added more ... waiting for Pep to roll-up personally and a straight fight between him and Klopp.

13 minutes ago, irishreds said:

How do you know they weren't?

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

True. But I do think we do things right way.
Cannot see Ashton tapping up other managers in post? Without doing it by making official approach. especially with his role with the EFL
you could almost guarantee there would then be a leak! I am thinking of the likes of Cook & Robbins at clubs.

Must have been informal discussions with Johnson before Barnsley were approached ?

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Chris Hughton, as an example, does not strike me as somebody who is confrontational, but nor does he strike me as somebody who is controllable.

There is a happy medium and if we can't accommodate somebody like Hughton then, of course, you would seriously have to question why.

Just out of interest @Kid in the Riot who would be your choice?

apologies if I have missed this elsewhere 

22 minutes ago, irishreds said:

What signs?

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am hoping this means we do not get Houghton.

I want a Graham Potter type.

Genuine question - what do you mean by a Graham Potter type, and who would be an example apart from Graham Potter?!

28 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Reid , Bryan, Flint, Webster, etc etc etc all wanted to go. The players were pushing and the club cashed in. 

The notion that the club says ok we are going to sell our best players is a fallacy, it’s a two way street.

City the supporters and SL were badly burned by Maynard and that won’t happen again. If the player has a year and holding out the club will listen to offers that have usually been agitated by the players agent. That’s football FOR EVERYONE, unless you are Man Utd Barcalona or Real Madrid. All managers know it. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Reid , Bryan, Flint, Webster, etc etc etc all wanted to go. The players were pushing and the club cashed in. 

The notion that the club says ok we are going to sell our best players is a fallacy, it’s a two way street.

City the supporters and SL were badly burned by Maynard and that won’t happen again. If the player has a year and holding out the club will listen to offers that have usually been agitated by the players agent. That’s football FOR EVERYONE, unless you are Man Utd Barcalona or Real Madrid. All managers know it. 

I'm sure the players know how the club develop and sell players and use it as a stepping stone. That is fine as long as it is in the interests of Bristol City.  It may be less good for a manager who has to sell the likes of a Webster or a Brownhill without having the time to find a suitable replacement.  Some managers would baulk at the fact that player sales could cost them a huge promotion bonus or that they could be sacked by failing to progress even after having to sell their very best players.

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I'd like to know who these 8-12 best players who were sold from underneath the head coach were during his tenure, and whether any of the revenue from those sales were witheld from future acquisitions.

Dasilva and Kalas upgrades on Bryan and Flint, Reid a single great season, and Webster was going to leave any Championship side that didn't get promoted.

As you say every club has this situation to manage and by christ wasn't the former coach backed in the transfer and loan market. Under such circumstances the brief was pretty reasonable in my opinion, and ample time given to deliver it.

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

At about 1:25 in, when he is speaking about candidates i swear to god he nearly said shit list, then corrected to short list. Lets hope its the latter!

All in all very honest

He did, he did. Say what you think, eh!

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Anyone listening to this & still thinking Hughton, McCarthy or Karanka are under serious consideration is deluding themselves.

It is going to be a L1/L2 nobody.

It might not be those 3, but I have a feeling there will be plenty of managers/coaches that will see this as a bloody brilliant club to join.   We have a structure, every club has a structure. Our club owner and Mark Ashton stand by that structure.  Like any position in a company, you have to be able to work within the framework of that company.  If you cant....then its not for you.

We are not Bristol City of 4 years ago.  We are Bristol City knocking on the door of promotion to the PL.  That opens up a whole lot of different options.

There are gems out there, we just need to find one.

Archived