IGNORED

SL on talkSPORT...

keflav

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Chris Hughton, as an example, does not strike me as somebody who is confrontational, but nor does he strike me as somebody who is controllable.

There is a happy medium and if we can't accommodate somebody like Hughton then, of course, you would seriously have to question why.

Appointing CH would be the very definition of that horrible phrase, " a no-brainer" for me.

He's an absolute perfect candidate for where we currently sit as a club with aspirations for the PL and has a perfect (and very recent) track record. He's also publicly stated he'd like the job having turned down 4-5 other Championship clubs. Clearly he sees our potential as excited by it.

I cannot ever remember there being such an obvious managerial candidate over the 35 plus years I've been supporting City.

I'd agree, If we don't choose him then you'd have to ask big questions as to the real motivations of SL.

Are they wanting the very best for the club and fans, or are they just looking for someone that they can buddy up to, influence and ultimately treat the club as an expensive toy for JL?

This decision will tell us a lot regarding their primary objectives and motivations.

5 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

We are not Bristol City of 4 years ago.  We are Bristol City knocking on the door of promotion to the PL.  That opens up a whole lot of different options.

It's a pretty appealing job nowadays.

We've redone the stadium. New modern training facilities currently being build. Wealthy but prudent owner and a CEO who does great transfer business. Our squad has a good age profile but also a lot of players with 1 year left in their contract so a chance for new man to sell some on and bring their own in. We're comfortable with FFP and play by the rules unlike some. It's a great job that needs a proven winner to steer the ship.

Not many Championship clubs can claim all of that.

1 hour ago, irishreds said:

Totally agree, MA & JL should have been straight on the motorway to meet CH, and sell the club and ambition. We won't get this opportunity again. It's really strange, we have the set up for the Prem and are ready to go, but the signs are we're going for a speculative signing again, for the most important role at the club. Hope I'm wrong. If not, and it doesn't work, Ashton's position will be untenable when supporters can return to the Gate.    

I haven’t got a problem with them taking a few days to see if any surprise expressions of interest come in, but they then need to act swiftly and positively.

I chose Jokanovic in the poll because I love his style of football, but I’d still be delighted with Hughton and I’ve a gut feeling CH would possibly be a better fit anyway.

I agree completely about not messing about and if we’ve got a clear number 1 target, we shouldn’t bugger about and just go get them.  That’s what we did with LJ after all.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Surely past experience would tell SL we need a proven manager who has achieved promotion. And surely the success of Pat Lamb next door should reinforce this. But I fear like many it will from the lower ranks and an up and coming manager. If so what a terrible decision it will be. How can a club like Brentford always seem to get it right when picking managers and SL invariably get it wrong.

The appointment of Pat Lamb is the one thing that gives me hope. SL learned his lesson with the previous manager and realised that if you want success you’ve got to have a top coach. City won’t get a football equivalent of Lamb as the finances of football and rugby are different, but could get a coach of lower Premier League standard. 

1 hour ago, jayjay said:

BREAKING NEWS: City have agreed terms with Michael Flynn to be the club's new Head Coach on a three year contract. However, there is a hold-up due to the negotiations with Newport County FC over the amount of compensation required. Newport are holding out for £100 to be paid immediately but City are only prepared to go to £50 paid in instalments OR free Clarke's pies for a year.

Never mock Clark’s pies or I’ll send the boys to pay you a visit. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

Just out of interest @Kid in the Riot who would be your choice?

apologies if I have missed this elsewhere 

Hopefully it's fairly obvious from this:

I'd like it to be Hughton. I believe he is the candidate most likely to take us onto the next level.

Steven Gerrard is apparently keen on moving back south of the border and he would be my second choice, assuming he is interested - and I believe he may be. I realise that contradicts the above post however I consider him to have a unique x-factor and presence that could be genuinely exciting to see at Ashton Gate. He is a born leader of men and a winner with experience in football at the highest level.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I am hoping this means we do not get Houghton.

I want a Graham Potter type.

Fortunately Ray Houghton is probably not in the running. 
Chris Hughton, however, very much is. 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd like it to be Hughton. I believe he is the candidate most likely to take us onto the next level.

Steven Gerrard is apparently keen on moving back south of the border and he would be my second choice, assuming he is interested - and I believe he may be. I realise that contradicts the above post however I consider him to have a unique x-factor and presence that could be genuinely exciting to see at Ashton Gate. He is a born leader of men and a winner with experience in football at the highest level.

Yes KITR. I’ve said all along that we have 3 options on the table :

1) Go the LJ route again - ie a youngish, lower league boss. This is your Cook, Lowe, Flynn’s of this world. 
2) Take the ‘proven’ route. This is Hughton, McCarthy, Jokanovic. 
3) Go leftfield, either a foreigner or an x-factor type like Gerrard (someone who’ll raise the club profile in terms of PR/media perception etc. 

Personally, I think the most sensible thing to do is appoint Hughton > McCarthy > Jokanovic in that order. 
But if Gerrard were interested and within budget, we really should go for it. It won’t be the most sensible option, but would be the most exciting for the club. 
Sadly, I fear that due to finances and unknown budgets of post-covid world, we’re gonna be looking at a Flynn or a Lowe or a Robins. 

Option B would be the most sensible. Option C the most exciting. Option A the rather disappointing financial prudence route. 

Sounds to me like he wants to bring in someone who will work closely with development of younger players as well as first team duties. He wants someone who can galvanise the club throughout.

Nothing wrong with that. 

He feels we are geared up for the Premier League and wants to get us there. On that basis I’d be very surprised if they went for a lower league candidate as it doesn’t fit with his ambition to ‘get us over the line’.

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Appointing CH would be the very definition of that horrible phrase, " a no-brainer" for me.

He's an absolute perfect candidate for where we currently sit as a club with aspirations for the PL and has a perfect (and very recent) track record. He's also publicly stated he'd like the job having turned down 4-5 other Championship clubs. Clearly he sees our potential as excited by it.

I cannot ever remember there being such an obvious managerial candidate over the 35 plus years I've been supporting City.

I'd agree, If we don't choose him then you'd have to ask big questions as to the real motivations of SL.

Are they wanting the very best for the club and fans, or are they just looking for someone that they can buddy up to, influence and ultimately treat the club as an expensive toy for JL?

This decision will tell us a lot regarding their primary objectives and motivations.

Excellent post.

With SL having spent huge money on the stadium, facilities, training ground and players you would surely think he’d now spend big on the key aspect, the manager.

Despite all that logic I have this concern we’ll go for another LJ type....

Mccarthy or Hughton would be my first choice but wouldn't be against Gerrard as he'd bring attention, hopefully good and it may give us an advantage when coming to sign players. Would imagine he'd get a lot of respect from players as well. 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I completely agree on Hughton. I think he is the best available.

I hadn’t considered Gerrard and just assumed he wouldn’t be interested. I certainly wouldn’t mind him either!

Not that I'm particularly confident we'll get the right person, but having only just listened to it, I didn't hear anything that rules anyone out to be honest! Not sure what the fuss is about.

32 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Gerrard would be a sensational move. He would command respect and be a massive draw for players. Can’t see it myself but I’d be over the moon. What a signal for the clubs ambition but I suspect he will stay at Rangers

He'd obviously see us as a stepping stone like what Lampard has done. People don't really take the SPL seriously but do a good job in the championship and big clubs will then think he's possibility the real deal. 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Thank god. Someone with sense.

They have my sympathy too 

SL wants the Premier League and will bring someone in that he, MA and JL agree with. 

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

The wild card is if Holden wins five, he may put himself in the running. I know he would like to think so!

Please no!

6 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Absolutely. As always, there are those on here who are being unnecessarily anxious. It obviously gives them some reason to type something, whether its based on what has actually been said, or what's in their head!

Personally , it due to SL’s poor history in appointing managers (cotts=Kieth Dawe) that brings about the worry. We haven’t been this well off in terms of infrastructure , fanbase, ground , training ground in our entire history . This appointment could well be the biggest 

Never has this appointment been so important to the future/ambitions of Bristol City FC.

The club is crying out for a proven Championship manager (CH I would be more than happy with And sounds like he wants the job) but there is no point whatsoever in taking a punt with an “up and coming nobody“. It would be a complete punt.

Managers like CH have succeeded in the Championship - and will command respect from the players, which is where LJ fell down badly.

Come on City, make the right choice as this is not a bad squad. Just needs a skill set to realise there ambition/ability.

7 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I have the feeling that our current top management set up cannot accept a coach with a strong personality.

I think that confrontation is avoided at all cost and we will look for another nice obedient controllable coach

Totally agree,,, and with the personalities of the lansdowns and ashton,,, i just couldnt see an aggressive character coming in...

it seems to me though that hughton is intelligent enough to be able to deal with that situation and make it work.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I am hoping this means we do not get Houghton.

I want a Graham Potter type.

Would you rather have. Chris Hughton , gets us promoted and keeps us up 

graham potter type . Would would play fantastic open football who concedes goals and although fantastic to watch , finish mid table championship. 

Part of my issue with someone like Gerrard would be that there's always a decent possibility he could leave for a bigger job at any point.  As mentioned before, he'd see us as a platform to move up in his career and the moment he starts doing a good job here he'd be linked with all the bottom half Prem teams, if not higher.  I guess you could argue that's not really a negative, and could even work well if the club got some compensation for losing a manager.

While Hughton may be wanted elsewhere right now, if he were to come here it would be because he wanted to fully commit to our project as a club and the interest wouldn't be there from him or other clubs in the near future.

Archived