IGNORED

SL on talkSPORT...

keflav

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

Part of my issue with someone like Gerrard would be that there's always a decent possibility he could leave for a bigger job at any point.  As mentioned before, he'd see us as a platform to move up in his career and the moment he starts doing a good job here he'd be linked with all the bottom half Prem teams, if not higher.

While Hughton may be wanted elsewhere right now, if he were to come here it would be because he wanted to fully commit to our project as a club and the interest wouldn't be there from him or other clubs in the near future.

Hughton is now 61, and wont get many more offers if he doesnt take one soon. 

3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe Harry Potter would be more likely to have the magic we need!

3 posts it took, I bet 5. ???

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

Part of my issue with someone like Gerrard would be that there's always a decent possibility he could leave for a bigger job at any point.  As mentioned before, he'd see us as a platform to move up in his career and the moment he starts doing a good job here he'd be linked with all the bottom half Prem teams, if not higher.  I guess you could argue that's not really a negative, and could even work well if the club got some compensation for losing a manager.

While Hughton may be wanted elsewhere right now, if he were to come here it would be because he wanted to fully commit to our project as a club and the interest wouldn't be there from him or other clubs in the near future.

I was asked this by @headhunteron the Forever Bristol City pod last night.  My answer was, yes, worry about him buggering off to Liverpool in future.  If LFC poach him from us it is likely because he’s done well, raising our profile in the meantime.

I’m not sure he’d come here, but “errrmmmm, great” if he does. ???

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Sounds to me like he wants to bring in someone who will work closely with development of younger players as well as first team duties. He wants someone who can galvanise the club throughout.

Nothing wrong with that. 

He feels we are geared up for the Premier League and wants to get us there. On that basis I’d be very surprised if they went for a lower league candidate as it doesn’t fit with his ambition to ‘get us over the line’.

Reckon a Prem title for the Bears cannot be too far off. SL is 68 next month so maybe before he reaches 70? Just hoping he sees this as the time to push City on to the Prem League to tie in with that. Not the title, of course, but maybe establishing us at that level. This appointment is so important and I cannot see up & coming L1 or L2 being appointed. Hughton just looks the right choice if all the detail can be sorted. Just think SL might push the boat out on this after the LJ experience. 

Not saying I'd hate Gerrard but I'd actually rather have an up and coming manager who has achieved promotion. Gerrard could be fantastic, but he hasn't actually achieved much as a manger. He certainly hasn't been terrible at Rangers, but he is finishing second in I two horse race. 

7 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

At about 1:25 in, when he is speaking about candidates i swear to god he nearly said shit list, then corrected to short list. Lets hope its the latter!

All in all very honest

Thought it was shirt lift

5 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not saying I'd hate Gerrard but I'd actually rather have an up and coming manager who has achieved promotion. Gerrard could be fantastic, but he hasn't actually achieved much as a manger. He certainly hasn't been terrible at Rangers, but he is finishing second in I two horse race. 

He's effectively riding a three-legged horse in that race though! 

In a way I resent Gerrard for being a top pro who's managed to swing himself a good job without much building up from the bottom. 

But the more I think about it, the more excited I'd be about having him here. Really big statement, especially pinching him from one of the Old Firm clubs who look down on the Championship as being a step below them. 

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would rather play good football and go up. I don't see why we can't do both?

Yes we can , we’d all love that I’m sure. 
I certainly enjoy that style of football. It does however normally mean a bit of a leaky defence . Hughton’s promotion sides have scored plenty of goals and entertained but have also been compact off the ball , keeping  plenty of clean sheets . 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's effectively riding a three-legged horse in that race though! 

Agreed, two horse race is maybe unfair - He has done a good job there I just don't think that necessarily transfers to taking a team to promotion in the championship. He has a name and stature which definitely bring respect and would probably attract some players we wouldn't be able to get. However I don't think he has been really tested - Rangers are doing basically what you would expect them to do.

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Reid , Bryan, Flint, Webster, etc etc etc all wanted to go. The players were pushing and the club cashed in. 

The notion that the club says ok we are going to sell our best players is a fallacy, it’s a two way street.

City the supporters and SL were badly burned by Maynard and that won’t happen again. If the player has a year and holding out the club will listen to offers that have usually been agitated by the players agent. That’s football FOR EVERYONE, unless you are Man Utd Barcalona or Real Madrid. All managers know it. 

More like a crossroads than a two-way street.

If the player thought, this Manager is going to get us to the Premier League with the squad, tactics et al, confident he will further improve me, believed the Club rapidly on the ‘up’..... certainly might give cause to hesitate in wanting away.

Think Joe and Bobby may have gone through that process ....and made the right calls for themselves. Think their moves were quite telling in terms of our short term future and trust in key figures in our Club’s leadership. Indeed we’ve been on a bit of a downward curve ever since they decided to ‘opt out’.

Clearly, if the Club want to generate revenue that’s another factor.

29 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

In a way I resent Gerrard for being a top pro who's managed to swing himself a good job without much building up from the bottom. 

But the more I think about it, the more excited I'd be about having him here. Really big statement, especially pinching him from one of the Old Firm clubs who look down on the Championship as being a step below them. 

It would be a massive statement of intent. Getting Hughton would be big but landing Gerrard a magnitude higher. 

Ryan Kent anyone?

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes we can , we’d all love that I’m sure. 
I certainly enjoy that style of football. It does however normally mean a bit of a leaky defence . Hughton’s promotion sides have scored plenty of goals and entertained but have also been compact off the ball , keeping  plenty of clean sheets . 

Keeping lots of clean sheets is not an indicator of promotion. Norwich and Bournemouth would not have been promoted otherwise. A notable consistent is goal difference +30 is promotion generally be that miserly Burnley or proliferate Norwich. 

If there is a trend its erring more towards teams who are possession based and attack. 

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It would be a massive statement of intent. Getting Hughton would be big but landing Gerrard a magnitude higher. 

Ryan Kent anyone?

Don't know much about Gerrard's coaching style beyond what you see on the touchlines at Sevco games, but it would be huge to have a name like that here.

Don't get me started on Ryan ******* Kent mind

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Mccarthy or Hughton would be my first choice but wouldn't be against Gerrard as he'd bring attention, hopefully good and it may give us an advantage when coming to sign players. Would imagine he'd get a lot of respect from players as well. 

Both Houghton and McCarthy would be good, solid choices. But at their age, (this coming from a 77 year old) could be seen as yesterday's managers.

Up and coming from lower leagues is the highest gamble mainly I believe due to the "show us your medals/caps" from senior pros.

A Steven Gerrard would be the biggest gamble of all because of such a short time in management at a club in a league where it is difficult to finish any lower than second place. But the aura that surrounds star players of his calibre, he won a Champions League Final almost on his own, could be the catalyst to ensure we do reach the Premier League. 

Which choice would I make?

50 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

As KITR said, it’s not a two-horse race. 
Celtic’s wage bill is 38% higher than Rangers. 
That’s a similar difference to Liverpool v West Ham. 
Coming 2nd in that league is certainly expected but to push for 1st would be like expecting West Ham to come 3rd in the Prem. 

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Keeping lots of clean sheets is not an indicator of promotion. Norwich and Bournemouth would not have been promoted otherwise. A notable consistent is goal difference +30 is promotion generally be that miserly Burnley or proliferate Norwich. 

If there is a trend its erring more towards teams who are possession based and attack. 

You’re kind of backing up my point , which was the more expansive teams I.e Norwich last season , Bournemouth   Leaked goals . Wear as , Burnley (Dyche) Hull (Bruce ) and Brighton under Hughton , kept it tight and closed games out . Hull and burnley especially, remember going behind to them and knowing the game was done . Physically bullying teams as well. 
more than one way to skin a cat I suppose. 
we’d all like to play like Barcelona and there’s a risk to every appointment . But I’d say there’s less of a risk with Hughton 

39 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Haven't Rangers been really quite poor since Christmas. Even rumours he was going to walk at points. I wouldn't be overly excited.

Yeah since the winter break. Think they beat celtic and were level or just behind on points going into it. 

There hasn't been such good candidates expressing an interest in managing the club for at least 20 years.

Lansdown made it explicitly clear what he wants asap.

It won't be a lower league manager. 

Hughton or someone better.

I would say Jokanovic would be excellent. But there may even be someone of a better calibre.

No to Gerrard, too much risk at this point imo.

Lansdown knows the next manager will signal his intent.

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Chris Hughton, as an example, does not strike me as somebody who is confrontational, but nor does he strike me as somebody who is controllable.

There is a happy medium and if we can't accommodate somebody like Hughton then, of course, you would seriously have to question why.

I seem to remember the Brighton chairman ( whom I presume hired Hughton for Brighton) trying to help us immensely over our plans for Ashton Vale. I’m sure he even came to Bristol to talk on our behalf at the time. I can remember an interview with him and he seemed to genuinely want to help us as a club.

Which must mean that SL and him are good friends, so I would imagine SL can easily find out what he wants to know about Hughton by just picking up the phone. 

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

There hasn't been such good candidates expressing an interest in managing the club for at least 20 years.

Lansdown made it explicitly clear what he wants asap.

It won't be a lower league manager. 

Hughton or someone better.

I would say Jokanovic would be excellent. But there may even be someone of a better calibre.

No to Gerrard, too much risk at this point imo.

Lansdown knows the next manager will signal his intent.

Where can I find these expressions of interest. Honest question?

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Nothing against the man, but I couldn't be doing with the "Steven Gerrard's Bristol City" stuff that would ensue.

Not worth it IMO for the reason you state. 

Would be f’ing embarrassing to be ‘that’ team. 

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Would you rather have. Chris Hughton , gets us promoted and keeps us up 

graham potter type . Would would play fantastic open football who concedes goals and although fantastic to watch , finish mid table championship. 

Wilder, Fairly open football yet with a balance structually, tweaked type, now pushing top 6/7 in PL!

Nuno- As above but perhaps more 

Bielsa- Great side to watch, and seem to have a better balance than say Fulham of two years ago, or Norwich or Aston Villa last year.

Frank- Definitely an improvement on Smith, in terms of the balance style yet great to watch.

Never say never but odds are that one of Leeds or Brentford will go up- it's not impossible it'll be both.

Bilic is a bit less free flowing but nonetheless rather good!

I'd be interested to see how Hughton would setup though and think he would be a strong choice for us.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Brentford are an interesting one- their balance looks nice enough yet they are a dominant side, yet their GD is +41 and still third!

Archived