IGNORED

SL on talkSPORT...

keflav

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

More like a crossroads than a two-way street.

If the player thought, this Manager is going to get us to the Premier League with the squad, tactics et al, confident he will further improve me, believed the Club rapidly on the ‘up’..... certainly might give cause to hesitate in wanting away.

Think Joe and Bobby may have gone through that process ....and made the right calls for themselves. Think their moves were quite telling in terms of our short term future and trust in key figures in our Club’s leadership. Indeed we’ve been on a bit of a downward curve ever since they decided to ‘opt out’.

Clearly, if the Club want to generate revenue that’s another factor.

I agree with a bit of this. However. Premier League offer comes in or offer that would substantially change a wage with one year to go On a contract it’s a no brainer for all concerned. Particularly agents that have agitated it!

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

More like a crossroads than a two-way street.

If the player thought, this Manager is going to get us to the Premier League with the squad, tactics et al, confident he will further improve me, believed the Club rapidly on the ‘up’..... certainly might give cause to hesitate in wanting away.

Think Joe and Bobby may have gone through that process ....and made the right calls for themselves. Think their moves were quite telling in terms of our short term future and trust in key figures in our Club’s leadership. Indeed we’ve been on a bit of a downward curve ever since they decided to ‘opt out’.

Clearly, if the Club want need to generate revenue that’s another factor.

The two year accounts preceding that and the FFP regime that we are under indicates that this was more of a need than a want tbh.

Birmingham got 9 points, an EFL business plan, and a soft embargo that became generalised restrictions on incoming transfers in 2018/19. There was/is also the possibility of Projected accounts x 1 and real x 2 forming the basis for a breach and deduction with rules surrounding RPTs- though Harvey was too weak/incompetent/lazy to enforce this last season!

Happy to check against our losses/profit and FFP figures. How much did those two sell for- £15-16m? That's £15-16m in transfer profit to do a mix of offset losses and reinvest into the team!

Courtesy of Swiss Ramble!

EIl-SiOX0AAYPzV?format=jpg&name=large

Well maybe then...but then again, we did make £38m profit or thereabouts on disposal of player registrations! There was the contract issue too...both had just one year left IIRC.

EDIT: The above also included the Kelly fee, as it was mid May 2019 or around then so fell within those accounts.

It's a gamble tbh- if you keep both, and you go up- no problem! You might even keep them, or be able to in the PL and it's the best of all worlds. If you don't however...you lose the profit from their disposal, you don't have any amortisation fall off the books and you have the issue of a new starting point of £20m/£39m loss... Not only that, but you'll be somewhat hamstrung moving forwards and reduce ability to replace/build squad depth, or perhaps need to look at more sales earlier.

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Reid , Bryan, Flint, Webster, etc etc etc all wanted to go. The players were pushing and the club cashed in. 

The notion that the club says ok we are going to sell our best players is a fallacy, it’s a two way street.

City the supporters and SL were badly burned by Maynard and that won’t happen again. If the player has a year and holding out the club will listen to offers that have usually been agitated by the players agent. That’s football FOR EVERYONE, unless you are Man Utd Barcalona or Real Madrid. All managers know it. 

FFP?

This was an undoubted factor too, especially in the first 3.

See my ?post. Would add to that, there are more and more clubs falling foul of/being dragged through the process now. There's a balance to be struck of course- we keep Reid and Bryan, we go up last season then no need to sell any! We stay down...we lose them both on frees, no cash, no profit on disposal to offset operating losses- hell no amortisation removed even!

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilder, Fairly open football yet with a balance structually, tweaked type, now pushing top 6/7 in PL!

Nuno- As above but perhaps more 

Bielsa- Great side to watch, and seem to have a better balance than say Fulham of two years ago, or Norwich or Aston Villa last year.

Frank- Definitely an improvement on Smith, in terms of the balance style yet great to watch.

Never say never but odds are that one of Leeds or Brentford will go up- it's not impossible it'll be both.

Bilic is a bit less free flowing but nonetheless rather good!

I'd be interested to see how Hughton would setup though and think he would be a strong choice for us.

Agree. It’s interesting to think back regarding set ups that have  gone up from this league, which was my question back to @JonDolman . I don’t know the stats but would of thought teams with more of a balance would do better in the prem once promoted.  Swansea under Rogers was a exception possibly ? 
certainly , Norwich and Fulham haven’t worked and although you have to admire Farke’s attempt to keep playing his style. surely you have to stay in games longer than they do. 
This is why I think Hughton would fit us perfectly , as he does adapt once promoted. It appears too negative , but hopefully if he did come to us and get us up, he would of learnt from his Brighton days. 

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Must admit I didn't take that from the interview at all. Which bits made you think that?

SL is very clear in the aim of Premier League football asap (I'm actually surprised about how explicit he is being about that) and appointing an inexperienced candidate is going to leave himself open to considerable criticism if it goes wrong. 

When I first heard SL I thought, oh no another cheap option is nailed on.

Then when I thought about it.  SL has never stated that promotion to PL is the aim.  As you say.

In fact this is quite a first.  LJ was sacked because he didnt get us to the PlayOffs.  So he seems quite consistent here.

So I cant see how a noob/up & coming manager is going to ace the interview?

SL: We're looking for a manager whose sole aim will be promotion to the PL.  A top six finish is minimum.  Have you ever got a team promoted to the PL?

Noob:  [checks CV] .. err nope

SL:  Well that all seems in order.  Welcome aboard

Over the last few seasons - we’ve attracted some bigger names to the club that previously would of turned us down, some of this down to the infrastructure and some of this down to the reputation Lee had built. IF the club decide to go for an up and coming manager from the lower leagues - all the pulling power has been lost. Now is not the time for a calculated risk on potential. Bringing in a Hughton/Jokanovic/Gerrard type character backs up the noise from the club that they’re serious about pushing for promotion and players will want to be a part of that vision. If we had one of the above in place - we don’t miss out on Nketiah in previous windows, and other potential talent in the future. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Brentford are an interesting one- their balance looks nice enough yet they are a dominant side, yet their GD is +41 and still third!

I find the idea of perceptions interesting. People have a perception that keeping clean sheets and keeping games tight = success. Add Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford and then Burnley, Cardiff and Middlesbrough to those teams and the picture is?

Attacking football, possession football, counter attack, long ball ... These are just choices. None = success. There are trends but there is no BIG way. 

Bristol City can appoint a Manager who attacks, who looks to excite ( a personal perception), who plays expansive football and it does not end the chances of success. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilder, Fairly open football yet with a balance structually, tweaked type, now pushing top 6/7 in PL!

Nuno- As above but perhaps more 

Bielsa- Great side to watch, and seem to have a better balance than say Fulham of two years ago, or Norwich or Aston Villa last year.

Frank- Definitely an improvement on Smith, in terms of the balance style yet great to watch.

Never say never but odds are that one of Leeds or Brentford will go up- it's not impossible it'll be both.

Bilic is a bit less free flowing but nonetheless rather good!

I'd be interested to see how Hughton would setup though and think he would be a strong choice for us.

4 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Gerrard's Bristol City has nice ring to it.

I'd rather have his namesake Brigadier in charge and those in the racing fraternity know that he is now a non runner.

What would be the point of appointing Gerard ,he has no championship experience and no  promotions on his CV, if he was brilliant the clamour to get him back to Anfield in some capacity would be deafening.

Surely the obvious choice must be an experienced man who is given the required resources to gain promotion.

I can't see past Chris Hughton 

4 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

What's our forum name again? ?

No one on here ever got upset at someone on TV or Radio referring to us as "Bristol" ?

For the record I'm not bothered.  But seems to irk some.

Anyway as he's a scouser it will be Stevies Briz.    

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The two year accounts preceding that and the FFP regime that we are under indicates that this was more of a need than a want tbh.

Birmingham got 9 points, an EFL business plan, and a soft embargo that became generalised restrictions on incoming transfers in 2018/19. There was/is also the possibility of Projected accounts x 1 and real x 2 forming the basis for a breach and deduction with rules surrounding RPTs- though Harvey was too weak/incompetent/lazy to enforce this last season!

Happy to check against our losses/profit and FFP figures. How much did those two sell for- £15-16m? That's £15-16m in transfer profit to do a mix of offset losses and reinvest into the team!

Courtesy of Swiss Ramble!

EIl-SiOX0AAYPzV?format=jpg&name=large

Well maybe then...but then again, we did make £38m profit or thereabouts on disposal of player registrations! There was the contract issue too...both had just one year left IIRC.

EDIT: The above also included the Kelly fee, as it was mid May 2019 or around then so fell within those accounts.

It's a gamble tbh- if you keep both, and you go up- no problem! You might even keep them, or be able to in the PL and it's the best of all worlds. If you don't however...you lose the profit from their disposal, you don't have any amortisation fall off the books and you have the issue of a new starting point of £20m/£39m loss... Not only that, but you'll be somewhat hamstrung moving forwards and reduce ability to replace/build squad depth, or perhaps need to look at more sales earlier.

These were my guesstimates of 19/20 and previous years.

I have a lower FFP allowances (£3m pa), pre-Covid.  Reckon Covid has cost us £2m this financial year.

image.thumb.png.f6b48d03ed765f348e80a9258f931923.png

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

These were my guesstimates of 19/20 and previous years.

I have a lower FFP allowances (£3m pa), pre-Covid.  Reckon Covid has cost us £2m this financial year.

image.thumb.png.f6b48d03ed765f348e80a9258f931923.png

Thanks Dave, yeah that looks good. Main thing is though that we likely needed to sell Reid, Bryan in summer 2018. More of a need than a want I still think, whether it's your figures or those of SwissRamble which are pretty similar- he does a bit of rounding too- seems to round it...wonder if we might have been able to have kept Reid though or too risky?

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave, yeah that looks good. Main thing is though that we likely needed to sell Reid, Bryan in summer 2018. More of a need than a want I still think, whether it's your figures or those of SwissRamble which are pretty similar- he does a bit of rounding too- seems to round it...wonder if we might have been able to have kept Reid though or too risky?

I think there was pressure to sell one of the three (Bryan was the one with lots of interest) in the January window, but in such a good place they gambled.  With the fall away and clubs interested it was impossible to keep hold of them all that summer.

17/18’s loss of £25.3m shows we went for it....and all 3 sales went into 18/19’s accounts....inc Kelly too.  Diony, Kent and Walsh looks like we didn’t go for it in the January, but even back then I said the gamble was keeping the three who then left in the summer.

Will be interesting to see how far I’m out when 19/20’s accounts come out.

1 minute ago, cityfan said:

I think if SL is looking to build on what LJ has done and bearing in mind LJ is a friend, then for me, I think Phil Neville will be a strong candidate to match what SL wants to continue

Please no

Archived