IGNORED

Final 5 Shortlisted - Next City Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want appointed as next City manager/head coach  

916 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do people think of the EP report that Christoph Daum has expressed an interested. 5 top flight titles including Bundesliga. Bit old school? Bit old? Does he speak much English?

Interesting such experience is openly interested in the job. Bodes well. Hope the management do take their time and get it right.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I think him being employed is the largest impediment. LJ still has 3 years to pay up on his contract. Jokanovic is currently enjoying a ‘highly lucrative’ contract on Qatar. 
It will take a handsome amount of compensation to get him out of Qatar in the first place, and then a further handsome sum to offer him to come here rather than sit on his existing (and likely larger) handsome sum in Qatar. 

I’d happily have him here. But getting him here will definitely not be cheap. He is likely the most expensive option of the names in the running, simply because of his current employment. So yes, it’s a huge impediment. 

I’ve seen on more than one occasion , that if a manager is sacked he gets paid a years salary rather than the whole of his contract

• Admin
9 hours ago, dunsteral said:

How long would Chris Hughton be here?

I bumped in to John (NTTDS) the other day and obviously our topic of conversation was who was going to be the new BCFC manager (head coach?)

John made a valid point about Chris Hughton, if he was to be interested and accept the job if it was offered, how long would he be with us?

With at least 3 Premier League clubs likely to sack their manager at the end of the season, wouldn,t Hughton expect to be in with a shout of one of those positions and probably wouldn't think twice about ditching us.

Be careful what you wish for.

I said on another thread, I’d quite like a Manager that we would worry about him being poached by a bigger club, it would mean we had a Manger that was bringing us success.  Seems a long time since that happened.....

6 hours ago, marcofisher said:

If Jovanovich wants to be ambitious, and I’m sure at his age he will be, he can resign and join us.

Plus, I am sure a lot of these managers who go to the Middle East will have some sort of clause that will allow them to speak to European clubs if they come knocking.

I can’t honestly believe a manager who has done as well as Slavisa in taking clubs up in this country has ambitions set on staying in the Middle East.

He can always go back to the Middle/Far East for a paycheque later.

Spot on, and he’s openly said he wants to come back to Europe.

Also, he’s in the running for the Birmingham job. If they can afford him, we sure as hell can. 

Would love to see him come in on a two-year deal, but can’t realistically. 

48 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve seen on more than one occasion , that if a manager is sacked he gets paid a years salary rather than the whole of his contract

Yeah, not sure of exactly how it works to be honest, but we’d certainly still be paying him a good wedge that’ll factor into the funds toward the next man. I just see Jokanovic as the most expensive option. Not unlikely, just the most expensive. 

10 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I can not fathom why anyone would want Steven Gerrard as our next manager.

He meets the criteria that SL wants - an up and coming young manager. I’m not saying I’d want him as the next manager but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was in the frame - assuming he’d be willing to consider moving south.

Doesn’t matter who the fans want, SL has to make the call balancing finances, ambition, working within the various constraints, continuity and coping with the current exceptional times. No appointment comes with any sort of guarantee, so just fully support whoever is appointed and see what happens.

10 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I can not fathom why anyone would want Steven Gerrard as our next manager.

He might bring some enthusiasm and excitement back to our club. He'd immediately command the respect of players and supporters, and possibly get everyone associated with the club to rally behind him. 

He also has that nasty/ruthless/winning mentality which he would surely expect from his players. We have been lacking that edge for a long time. We certainly wouldn't be a soft touch with him at the helm. 

I originally thought we had someone lined up to replace Johnson and once the play off bid was over bring them in to assess the squad , watch a few matches. However, I feel this wasn’t the thinking behind the decision and the club are now waiting to see who becomes available once the season finishes. Potentially a number of clubs may change manager and we may be patient in making our choice. 

Personally I fear this could be a wasted opportunity , as a new manager has a free run of four games (including tomorrow) to take an overview of games / training, especially as the close season is likely to be so short for a new man to assess players , identify weakness etc. I wonder if the atmosphere behind the scenes had become toxic and the club were also concerned of a number of players looking to leave once the season had finished?

The SPFL starts on 1 August if Gerrard is a serious contender 

9 hours ago, Lez said:

Slightly confused that Gerrard has 3 times the votes than Paul cook.

"Steven Gerrard's Bristol City" has more of a ring to it than "Paul Cook's Bristol City"? 

9 hours ago, Lez said:

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not assuming anything. Quite the opposite - I’m keeping an open mind and not making my mind up about things we don’t know.

You said Hughton was a realistic proposition because he had expressed interest in the job. For it to be realistic, that assumes the club have any interest in him. QED.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

I think him being employed is the largest impediment. LJ still has 3 years to pay up on his contract. Jokanovic is currently enjoying a ‘highly lucrative’ contract on Qatar. 
It will take a handsome amount of compensation to get him out of Qatar in the first place, and then a further handsome sum to offer him to come here rather than sit on his existing (and likely larger) handsome sum in Qatar. 

I’d happily have him here. But getting him here will definitely not be cheap. He is likely the most expensive option of the names in the running, simply because of his current employment. So yes, it’s a huge impediment. 

Out of interest, what is his current salary?? Lee didn't come cheap, I seem to remember someone posting the Championship wages and he was a fair way up the list ?

Jokanovic for me. 2 promotions, decent brand of football, plays youth to a degree. OK he is employed in Qatar right now, but one thing is, when he got promoted to the Premier with Fulham and Watford, he was replaced with a more experienced/foreign coach pretty quickly. Would he see SLs 'loyalty' to managers to give them a chance an idea that if he does get us up, we'll keep hold of him?

I imagine we would, whoever gets us up, give them the chance to keep us up and probably keep them if we went down unless performances were dreadful.

From SLs interview yesterday (?) I think he's going to spare no expense to get the right man in, in a similar way Cotts was the right man to turn us around and get us up, LJ then solidified this and improved/continued the 5 pillars, now we need the right man to get us up.

Exciting times!

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hughton has expressed an interest so I really don’t see why it’s not realistic.

His agent would've had a preliminary chat with MA regarding wage, budgets and structure. there's no point proceeding to interview if they are miles apart on what each party wants. there would be a loose framework of movement agreed. having someone up to interview when you are never realistically going to meet each others expectations is a waste of everyone's time and effort.
Once the interest is noted and agents have had that chat then you can get down to the nitty gritty.
The club always says "it's competitive" when it comes to wages and terms so you would like to think they are paying the going rate and relying on the attraction of the project to attract candidates of the right calibre. What they won't do (and rightly so) is be held to ransom for an unrealistic or greedy amount with changes to the structure which deviate too much from the established model. CH will know all of this with his previous experience of management and will have a broad idea of all of these things if he's interviewed. I actually think the fact he's expressed his interest is encouraging. If he thought we'd expect miracles for next to nothing he would have stayed silent.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

You said Hughton was a realistic proposition because he had expressed interest in the job. For it to be realistic, that assumes the club have any interest in him. QED.

I said we don’t know that it’s not realistic and shouldn’t be ruling anyone out. 

Using your logic we can’t describe ANY candidate as “realistic” because we don’t know if the club have an interest in anyone.

3 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Out of interest, what is his current salary?? Lee didn't come cheap, I seem to remember someone posting the Championship wages and he was a fair way up the list ?

I’m not sure but it’d be reasonable to suggest LJ was at least £500-£750k per annum. 
Jokanovic rumoured at £2m. 
So, as well as still paying LJ for another year (at least), paying compo of a years salary to the Qatari’s and then offering Slaviša something close to what he’s on now and all of a sudden your looking at £4-5 million on managerial costs for 2020/21. 

Archived