IGNORED

Final 5 Shortlisted - Next City Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Who do you want appointed as next City manager/head coach  

916 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Bob Turnip said:

When did he say that?

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The only interview I’m aware of post-LJ is Talk Sport and he didn’t say it then.

So what are you referring to?

I imagine Robbo is, unwittingly, referring to part of Mark Ashton's public reasoning given for the appointment as head coach of Lee Johnson in February 2016, in which he used the phrase "up and coming" 

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've missed Horace!  :sub:

You need to hold the rifle still and squeeze the trigger gently and your aim should improve! :shocking:

8 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I imagine Robbo is, unwittingly, referring to part of Mark Ashton's public reasoning given for the appointment as head coach of Lee Johnson in February 2016, in which he used the phrase "up and coming" 

He could have been referring to Rudolph! 

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m not sure but it’d be reasonable to suggest LJ was at least £500-£750k per annum. 
Jokanovic rumoured at £2m. 
So, as well as still paying LJ for another year (at least), paying compo of a years salary to the Qatari’s and then offering Slaviša something close to what he’s on now and all of a sudden your looking at £4-5 million on managerial costs for 2020/21. 

LJ was on a salary of £500k but I believe the latest contract he signed was in the region of £600k 

Chris Hughton's salary at Brighton was £4m but obviously that was in the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Can employers still use the word "young" when recruiting?

I think you couldn’t on Monday, but today it is ok.

’Employers’, however, has been banned for use today. You can only refer to ‘Colleagues’. 

8 hours ago, daored said:

I originally thought we had someone lined up to replace Johnson and once the play off bid was over bring them in to assess the squad , watch a few matches. However, I feel this wasn’t the thinking behind the decision and the club are now waiting to see who becomes available once the season finishes. Potentially a number of clubs may change manager and we may be patient in making our choice. 

Personally I fear this could be a wasted opportunity , as a new manager has a free run of four games (including tomorrow) to take an overview of games / training, especially as the close season is likely to be so short for a new man to assess players , identify weakness etc. I wonder if the atmosphere behind the scenes had become toxic and the club were also concerned of a number of players looking to leave once the season had finished?

The SPFL starts on 1 August if Gerrard is a serious contender 

Surely this has to be done before the season is over?

Otherwise this becomes a sellers market, competition for managers goes up and silly money comes into play.

18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Minimim £2 million a year may be a stumbling block !

Hadn't realised you were his agent!  

I have seen reports that when Brighton got promoted from the Championship he was earning £500k, I am sure when negotiating any contract it will be incentive based on any success, his salary would be minor if we can finally make it to the top level.

22 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Hadn't realised you were his agent!  

I have seen reports that when Brighton got promoted from the Championship he was earning £500k, I am sure when negotiating any contract it will be incentive based on any success, his salary would be minor if we can finally make it to the top level.

To some managers the money isn't always the main priority, especially when they have enough to retire comfortably on already.

The prospect that they can join a club and turn them into a success with all accolades that brings can be more powerful than money. Especially when they see that club as a one that has the set up and fans that deserves that success but has been starved if it for 40 years.

I am sure the money will keep them comfortable but let's hope it's not the only aspect of their decision making process.

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

To some managers the money isn't always the main priority, especially when they have enough to retire comfortably on already.

The prospect that they can join a club and turn them into a success with all accolades that brings can be more powerful than money. Especially when they see that club as a one that has the set up and fans that deserves that success but has been starved if it for 30 years.

I am sure the money will keep them comfortable but let's hope it's not the only aspect of their decision making process.

I agree.  Someone like Chris Hughton comes across as a very grounded and sensible individual, he probably knows that we will not be paying rediculous sums but the offer of stability, ambition, the promise of time alongside a good salary with high incentives may just be enough.

• Admin
16 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

I agree.  Someone like Chris Hughton comes across as a very grounded and sensible individual, he probably knows that we will not be paying rediculous sums but the offer of stability, ambition, the promise of time alongside a good salary with high incentives may just be enough.

When you say time - I’m not so sure that if the next Manager is an expensive choice, albeit with a proven track record, that he would be afforded too much time, I’m sure his contract would have targets in, allowing dismissal if those targets aren’t met.  Would you accept a ‘big name Manager’ coming in and still being a mid table also ran.

7 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

When you say time - I’m not so sure that if the next Manager is an expensive choice, albeit with a proven track record, that he would be afforded too much time, I’m sure his contract would have targets in, allowing dismissal if those targets aren’t met.  Would you accept a ‘big name Manager’ coming in and still being a mid table also ran.

I am sure depending on progress any manager will be afforded time something like this wouldn't seem unreasonable.

Year 1: Rebuild and implementation

Year 2: Push for promotion

Year 3: Must win promotion

Clearly if we were fighting relegation this wouldn't be acceptable but I think time will given if clear signs of progression are made.

Archived