IGNORED

Dean Holden / Ashley Williams

Davefevs

Read Gregor’s update this morning where it mentioned that Ashley Williams assisted Deano is a coaching capacity last night.  Williams sat up in the stand first half before joining Deano and Macca in the dugout second half.

Im really surprised LJ didn’t do that....think he got one of them to try it in one game, but that was it.

You see so much more up there.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Read Gregor’s update this morning where it mentioned that Ashley Williams assisted Deano is a coaching capacity last night.  Williams sat up in the stand first half before joining Deano and Macca in the dugout second half.

Im really surprised LJ didn’t do that....think he got one of them to try it in one game, but that was it.

i said before that gary owers ought to have a direct line to someones ear down there. he sees a lot of things that need improving during a game

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I noticed Dean had an earpiece on so wondered who he was talking to. Williams should have stayed up there in the second half given we played better in the first half! Mind you Dean said he had a splitting headache by half time so perhaps that was due to Williams shouting in his ear! 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think Williams in a coaching capacity next year would work. For me his legs have gone but his defensive brain is still very much active. The new boss could do worse than keeping him on as defensive coach

The only coach I want for Williams is the one leaving Ashton Gate asap....

?....sure gona' miss ya.

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think Williams in a coaching capacity next year would work. For me his legs have gone but his defensive brain is still very much active. The new boss could do worse than keeping him on as defensive coach

Obviously depends what the new coach wants but Holden - defender, Macca - defender, Williams - defender....

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Harsh. He did a job for a bit. Class defender in his time

He’s a liability. 

Twice this season he’s lost his head, I could take Brentford, but to do that the other day pissed me off and I hope we never see him in the shirt again.

Dugout has always had 'Eyes in the stand' with a team of analysts in the gantry filming, analysing and feeding back to the bench. Although typically its gone through one of the coaches feeding back to LJ rather than him having direct communication himself. Obviously DH preferred that direct line, its all individual preference I'd assume 

I'd be reluctant to keep anyone from the LJ era in a coaching role.

New coach / Manager = new assistants.

Either DH + Macca were part of the problem, or too weak to challenge LJ if they disagreed. Which again makes them part of the problem!

Either scenario means they are not here next week.

Williams is just too inexperienced as a coach, to be considered. His behaviour has been questionable on-field on more than one occasion.  Been a valuable player, but better places to learn to coach than a championship side.

He'd do very well as an assistant at Newport as a starting point.

3 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I'd be reluctant to keep anyone from the LJ era in a coaching role.

New coach / Manager = new assistants.

Either DH + Macca were part of the problem, or too weak to challenge LJ if they disagreed. Which again makes them part of the problem!

Either scenario means they are not here next week.

Williams is just too inexperienced as a coach, to be considered. His behaviour has been questionable on-field on more than one occasion.  Been a valuable player, but better places to learn to coach than a championship side.

He'd do very well as an assistant at Newport as a starting point.

Yep get rid dead wood now. 

3 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i said before that gary owers ought to have a direct line to someones ear down there. he sees a lot of things that need improving during a game

Wasn’t Gary Owers getting Bath City relegated from the Conference South when he got sacked?

39 minutes ago, Bailey is Right said:

Dugout has always had 'Eyes in the stand' with a team of analysts in the gantry filming, analysing and feeding back to the bench. Although typically its gone through one of the coaches feeding back to LJ rather than him having direct communication himself. Obviously DH preferred that direct line, its all individual preference I'd assume 

Which team of analysts at City typically perform that function on match day?

31 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

In a training video last week there was a rather coach putting on a session that I didnt recognise. Who was that?

Think that was Andrew Proctor, physio, doing the warm-up....if we are thinking of the same person I saw in the video.

image.jpeg.043946e7a7c86aebdab5c45328311afc.jpeg

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Wasn’t Gary Owers getting Bath City relegated from the Conference South when he got sacked?

No he did very well at Bath before going to Torquay, where he didn't do that well. 

10 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s a liability. 

Twice this season he’s lost his head, I could take Brentford, but to do that the other day pissed me off and I hope we never see him in the shirt again.

Yeah, I tend to agree. He’s always been a bit of a thug and now his legs have gone he’s even more of a liability. If he never puts on a City again it will be no great loss.

However he was an international defender and has oodles if experience in the game so not to use that would be a waste.

I know that LJ was planning to discuss a coaching role with Williams - whether or not he did we don’t know.

8 hours ago, Bailey is Right said:

The advise fell on death ears then with any Comms to LJ. Well he’s gone now so lets look forward to the future.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, I tend to agree. He’s always been a bit of a thug and now his legs have gone he’s even more of a liability. If he never puts on a City again it will be no great loss.

However he was an international defender and has oodles if experience in the game so not to use that would be a waste.

I know that LJ was planning to discuss a coaching role with Williams - whether or not he did we don’t know.

Williams has a great football brain and a vast amount of experience. I think some kind of coaching role would to suit him and the younger players at the club. 

I agree no loss if he doesn’t play anymore but he is a great asset if utilised correctly. 

The longer he keeps playing he will need to take some chill pills as he is obviously getting frustrated. 

11 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s a liability. 

People should apply the same harsh standards to the other centre halves. Williams isn't so bad when compared to the very well paid Kalas and Baker

38 minutes ago, City oz said:

Williams has a great football brain and a vast amount of experience. I think some kind of coaching role would to suit him and the younger players at the club. 

I agree no loss if he doesn’t play anymore but he is a great asset if utilised correctly. 

The longer he keeps playing he will need to take some chill pills as he is obviously getting frustrated. 

Any articles or videos on his football brain? Didn’t know that and always interested to hear professional footballers views 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Any articles or videos on his football brain? Didn’t know that and always interested to hear professional footballers views 

Sorry didn’t realise you haven’t seen him play over the years. 

19 minutes ago, City oz said:

Sorry didn’t realise you haven’t seen him play over the years. 

I’ve seen him play.  Quite obvious what I thought you meant.  No need for flippancy.  

If you are just going from his style of play then I would say that someone’s ability on a pitch is not necessarily related to his ability to communicate off of the pitch 

Archived