IGNORED

Joe Morrell podcast

Street red

Seems a grounded lad listening to him I still can't understand why he hasn't featured more. Capped 6 times for wales after watching this he's proven to me that deserves his chance, Joe's disappointed not to have been selected for the first team and you can see it especially at the end of video.

The midfielder we've been crying out for this season.

I watched it tonight.  I don’t normally bother with Robins Nest, but as it was Joe I did.

Every tine I hear him interviewed he seems so level headed.

(must get it from his mother if his dad is reading ?)

I really like his game too, got a varied game, from DM, to playing further forward....and a good engine too.  

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched it tonight.  I don’t normally bother with Robins Nest, but as it was Joe I did.

I really like his game too, got a varied game, from DM, to playing further forward....and a good engine too.  

Just out of interest who would you pair him with?

either to get the best from him or them?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don't either but again like yourself I watched it more to the fact I was disappointed to not see Joe in the squad this season, but to see how he come across.

One thing I would say is Joe should been in the first team this season over Nagy ..The difference is so clear Nagy has been home sick and not injury free this season, Joe on the other hand is hungry thrives off big crowds busts a gut for a tackle and a varied game and most of all wants that red shirt on his back week in week out! I'm a big fan and alot to thank Derek mcinnes for to kept Joe here that's how that come across? We've definitely got a great player on the books that now needs a manager to set him free.

16 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Just out of interest who would you pair him with?

either to get the best from him or them?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

9 minutes ago, Street red said:

Him and Walsh would be the ideal pairing Joe's varied game/ energy and walshs passing vision and movement ( also freekicks).

I’d like to think that the new manager will build something a bit more fluid than a traditional two / pairing  in a 442!

If we took last night’s team there’s no reason why he couldn’t have played in either Korey or Weimann’s place, assuming Pato plays as well as he did!

But we will see next season.

(I also wonder if Nagy might leave)

3 minutes ago, reddoh said:

can they form part of a spine  ?

I think Joe could be part of that spine yes Walsh could play off him  he's like a Tommy doc ie tacking midfielder but with alot more to his game.. If we had a manager like Hughton he would benefit from that consistant squad selection. 

18 minutes ago, Street red said:

I don't either but again like yourself I watched it more to the fact I was disappointed to not see Joe in the squad this season, but to see how he come across.

One thing I would say is Joe should been in the first team this season over Nagy ..The difference is so clear Nagy has been home sick and not injury free this season, Joe on the other hand is hungry thrives off big crowds busts a gut for a tackle and a varied game and most of all wants that red shirt on his back week in week out! I'm a big fan and alot to thank Derek mcinnes for to kept Joe here that's how that come across? We've definitely got a great player on the books that now needs a manager to set him free.

I think Morrell’s future at City drastically altered last week. From what I’d heard inside the camp, I don’t think LJ ever really rated him too highly. 
I certainly hope to see him much more heavily involved next season, and you’re absolutely right, he should’ve been a feature this season too. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think Morrell’s future at City drastically altered last week. From what I’d heard inside the camp, I don’t think LJ ever really rated him too highly. 
I certainly hope to see him much more heavily involved next season, and you’re absolutely right, he should’ve been a feature this season too. 

Now compare Johnsons playing career and Joe's playing career,Look what Joe's already achieved 6 Welsh caps interest from Liverpool at a young age he's already done more than Johnson ever did..This was a massive problem to me Joe did nothing wrong when appearing for city in the cup run that season in fact he impressed me along many city fans and then suddenly he vanished out of site and sent out on loan.. I like to know why Johnson didn't rate him another pathetic decision.

8 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Where’s the evidence for that?

Ask Johnson I don't know facts but I think I've heard every excuse under the sun to why he didn't start regular and issues with him being called up for international duty if I recall.. All these problems that you wouldn't have with a home grown player like Joe.

7 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I’d like to see him sat in front of a back 4 next season. One new signing of a big physical brute of a box to box centre mid alongside him and then Walsh just in front to do more of the fancy ass stuff. 

He’s shown in his games for Wales he has the discipline to play there....and look comfortable there. He is positionally aware too.

I don’t believe Nagy is awful either.  Physically he needs to improve.

If we take a comparison with Han-Noah, he’s been able to bulk up.  Unfortunately Adam has been injured a lot and probably hasn’t been able to put in the work to do similar.  He’s probably gonna suffer from a short close season too.

I’ve always liked Morrell whenever I’ve seen him - which admittedly isn’t that much.

Stylistically I think him and Walsh as part of a midfield would complement eachother very well.

Is Morrell still on the small side? I always remember him as being quite diminutive like Scott Brown. That would be my concern if he was playing with Walsh.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s shown in his games for Wales he has the discipline to play there....and look comfortable there. He is positionally aware too.

I don’t believe Nagy is awful either.  Physically he needs to improve.

If we take a comparison with Han-Noah, he’s been able to bulk up.  Unfortunately Adam has been injured a lot and probably hasn’t been able to put in the work to do similar.  He’s probably gonna suffer from a short close season too.

Joes just a fantastic midfielder that's all I can say ,Agreed Nagy isn't an awful player I really think we didn't need to sign him because Joe was already at the club.

I think Nagy has struggled massively which makes me wonder why we signed him if he wasn't strong enough.Its things like this that have got under my skin for the last few years.

Player management!

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’ve always liked Morrell whenever I’ve seen him - which admittedly isn’t that much.

Stylistically I think him and Walsh as part of a midfield would complement eachother very well.

Is Morrell still on the small side? I always remember him as being quite diminutive like Scott Brown. That would be my concern if he was playing with Walsh.

Yes, not sure at 23, he’s shooting up either.  He’s no15!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.50c90a4bcc5d6a427104742a0cb3c553.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, not sure at 23, he’s shooting up either.  He’s no15!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.50c90a4bcc5d6a427104742a0cb3c553.jpeg

Thought as much. Wasn’t sure if he’d had a Taylor Moore-esque growth spurt whilst on loan.

Yep the height of those two as a pair would be my concern. Would need a tall and powerful player alongside them for it to work in my opinion. I love the idea of it though, I think Morrell and Walsh both have something about them.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thought as much. Wasn’t sure if he’d had a Taylor Moore-esque growth spurt whilst on loan.

Yep the height of those two as a pair would be my concern. Would need a tall and powerful player alongside them for it to work in my opinion. I love the idea of it though, I think Morrell and Walsh both have something about them.

Wales didn’t......Joe Allen and Aaron Ramsey

image.png.6e2cbc07aba2b517df60ba6f47e75388.png

Lockyer a shirt centre back too.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wales didn’t......Joe Allen and Aaron Ramsey

image.png.6e2cbc07aba2b517df60ba6f47e75388.png

Lockyer a shirt centre back too.

I feel at our level, especially over a long season, if intending to try that pairing consistently we’d need to buy a midfielder that’s different to what we have with genuine size and presence. Ramsey is also better than any midfielder attainable to us and a player of that quality can negate the size issue.

We’ve lacked a destroyer in midfield for a while - arguably since prime Marvin Elliot! I wonder if Bakinson might get some first team minutes next season. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'd be amazed if Bakinson got game time. He was dropped by Plymouth near the end of his loan. He was also dropped by Newport the season before.

He is very tall but very skinny and does not yet look like the destroyer type. Not sure he ever will be going by his style.

I think Korey has been that type. I don't think someone has to be tall to be that type. In fact some of the best I can think of in world football have been very short. Kante, Makelele, Macherano etc. Being short makes them quicker over short distances.

I think physical strength and being quick over short distances is more important than being tall. And having aggression is important imo.

No it’s not the same because my primary concern with a lack of height in midfield is winning aerial balls. Smith isn’t the type of player I’m thinking of.

Marvin Elliot is a good example.

RE: Bakinson - I just pondered if he will get minutes like the other younger midfielders. Not necessarily suggesting him as the answer. Also, his build isn’t necessarily a drawback - look at Wilfred N’Didi. Very similar build. 

17 minutes ago, Kibs said:

He is the perfect replacement for Korey Smith IMO. Shame he hasn't been given more opportunities. Great energy levels and enthusiasm to win the ball with good feet to go with it. 

Damn you Kibs, I was just about to write those exact words! :clapping:

Morrell to replace Korey and I'm happy for Walsh to play alongside him.

Two dogged, determined deep playmakers to pull the strings.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'd be amazed if Bakinson got game time. He was dropped by Plymouth near the end of his loan. He was also dropped by Newport the season before.

He is very tall but very skinny and does not yet look like the destroyer type. Not sure he ever will be going by his style.

I think Korey has been that type. I don't think someone has to be tall to be that type. In fact some of the best I can think of in world football have been very short. Kante, Makelele, Macherano etc. Being short makes them quicker over short distances.

I think physical strength and being quick over short distances is more important than being tall. And having aggression is important imo.

Bakinson is a funny one.  As already mentioned (earlier / elsewhere) he’s had two loan spells where he’s started well and drifted.  I’m not sure whether that is attitude or opponents sussing him out.  At Newport I put a bit of that down to their pitch and them going long ball and bypassing midfield.  I’m not sure that can be levied at Plymouth.

With all our players we really need to see him playing for us over half a dozen games to form a true opinion, but on limited evidence so far he doesn’t look ready...yet.

A Rotherham Champ loan (like Vyner) would be sink or swim and would help us decide.  Not sure he’d get that though, might need Lg1.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He looks like he likes to break forward a lot. As does Walsh.

Would they both be too restricted in a midfield 2?

I guess with 5 at the back there might be the freedom for one to go and one to sit.

Or could we go with both Morrell and Walsh supported by a holder behind them. 

And then how do you fit in a Paterson, Palmer or Szmodics.

I really like the look of him, Walsh and Moore and want all to fit into a team next season. 

That video encapsulates everything I’ve said about him having a good all-round game.  Lincoln even played him at the top of a diamond for a few games when Conor Coventry came in on loan from West Ham to play at the base.

There is a lot to like about Morrell, and given the chance I could see him really having an impact and outsiders saying “blimey, where has this kid come from”.

He's certainly a good player in Div 1 and for Wales, but can he step up to the Championship. He's 23, why didn't Tinnion/Holden/Johnson agree that he should be given an opportunity this season, at least from the bench.

Giggs must have spoken to Johnson about Morrell, as Giggs would want him to play at the highest club level possible, clearly Johnson didn't agree.

The new head coach will want to take a look at all the squad, so he should get an opportunity to impress.

12 hours ago, Street red said:

Ask Johnson I don't know facts but I think I've heard every excuse under the sun to why he didn't start regular and issues with him being called up for international duty if I recall.. All these problems that you wouldn't have with a home grown player like Joe.

Yeah, that’s not evidence or even an example 

Archived