IGNORED

Joe Morrell podcast

Street red

IMO Joe Morrell is the attacking midfielder we have been missing since Brownhill. With all things being equal I can see him having a big part to play next season.

I do think we need an experienced quality midfielder in there as well.

I can see Korey being released, Szmodics & Adelakun sold. I appreciate both the aforementioned aren't considered midfield players but it releases spaces up in the squad. Shame it didn't work out with Henriksen but I think there was other things going on there.

I would like to see him and Walsh feature a lot more

Nagy at the base Walsh Morrell  & experienced midfielder.

HNM & KP45 in the mix too assuming Arsenal go away with HNM.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wales didn’t......Joe Allen and Aaron Ramsey

image.png.6e2cbc07aba2b517df60ba6f47e75388.png

Lockyer a shirt centre back too.

This formation is ideal because you have a straight back 4 and you have two sitting midfielders and a number 10 moving into holes ( Number 10 position for Palmer) It would also suit wells in that only striker position with the two others left and right feeding balls in.. It creates plenty of movement in the 4 up field and it also covers defensively especially teams breaking through the middle, Which we have been punished for a lot in the past.

Trouble is we can't over load the team with younger players there has to be a balance but another player i would like to see more involved is Johnny Smith a lad with a great left foot.

25 minutes ago, Street red said:

Trouble is we can't over load the team with younger players there has to be a balance but another player i would like to see more involved is Johnny Smith a lad with a great left foot.

With Morrell 23 years old, and Walsh 23 around when the new season starts, I don't think either of them would consider themselves youngsters.

In experience terms maybe, but even that is up for debate after the seasons they've just had. 

Another one, Szmodics, is 25 in a couple of months.

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

With Morrell 23 years old, and Walsh 23 around when the new season starts, I don't think either of them would consider themselves youngsters.

In experience terms maybe, but even that is up for debate after the seasons they've just had. 

Another one, Szmodics, is 25 in a couple of months.

Both morrell and Walsh would be considered as senior pros along with szmodics agreed,so looking at it there is still room for a couple of under 20s along side Massengo,That's whats frustrating because Morrell and Walsh shouldn't waiting for regular starts at 23 years old..

If there good enough they should be playing this is why we need a coach that can give the academy lads confindence,You don't get Chelsea and Liverpool looking at are players for no reason ie semenyo with chelseas interest..They all need to be managed the right way which they seem to be up to first team level then.... It stops.

For me, I'd like to see the side built around Morrell, Walsh, Moore and Dasilva next season and I'd like us to go out and sign a holding midfielder (like Cisse was) and a right-winger (Jed Wallace would be ideal). 

Something like this would do:

lineup.png

lineup (1).png

19 minutes ago, tin said:

For me, I'd like to see the side built around Morrell, Walsh, Moore and Dasilva next season and I'd like us to go out and sign a holding midfielder (like Cisse was) and a right-winger (Jed Wallace would be ideal). 

lineup.png

lineup (1).png

I like your thinking. I expect Elliasson and Diedhiou to be out of the picture but who knows in the current climate. Either way, a few new signings needed.

3 hours ago, tin said:

lineup.png

lineup (1).png

Excellent sir. 
That’s pretty much where I am. 

If we were to head into next season now, with no additions, I’d go with Walsh & Morrell as the base of midfield with an AM just ahead of them. With 3 at the back. 

Walsh & Morrell both have similar qualities, which I actually think makes them a great pair as they can both do everything quite well. They are both very comfortable in possession (no panic), they can both tackle, they both have a good range of passing, both forward thinking in their passing, they are both equally happy deep or high. They’d combine very well I think, when one goes, one stays etc, with both equally capable of each role. 

I’m actually genuinely excited about seeing these 2 as a CM pair (but with the security of 3 CB’s and a 3rd CM/AM). A couple of tenacious, but bright and technically sound CM’s. I like it. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Excellent sir. 
That’s pretty much where I am. 

If we were to head into next season now, with no additions, I’d go with Walsh & Morrell as the base of midfield with an AM just ahead of them. With 3 at the back. 

Walsh & Morrell both have similar qualities, which I actually think makes them a great pair as they can both do everything quite well. They are both very comfortable in possession (no panic), they can both tackle, they both have a good range of passing, both forward thinking in their passing, they are both equally happy deep or high. They’d combine very well I think, when one goes, one stays etc, with both equally capable of each role. 

I’m actually genuinely excited about seeing these 2 as a CM pair (but with the security of 3 CB’s and a 3rd CM/AM). A couple of tenacious, but bright and technically sound CM’s. I like it. 

I think a back 3/5 is tough to recruit to, because the WBs are so vital, get through so much work, you need 4....so if you’re going to go with it, you’ve got to go “all-in”.  You can get rid of your wingers though, unless you challenge them to become WBs like Sheffield Wed’s 2.

There is enough in our current group of midfielders to offer variety and mix the central 3 as a 3 or a 2+1.  Can also go 5221, allowing 4 “midfielders”.

At the end of the day there are options.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think a back 3/5 is tough to recruit to, because the WBs are so vital, get through so much work, you need 4....so if you’re going to go with it, you’ve got to go “all-in”.  You can get rid of your wingers though, unless you challenge them to become WBs like Sheffield Wed’s 2.

There is enough in our current group of midfielders to offer variety and mix the central 3 as a 3 or a 2+1.  Can also go 5221, allowing 4 “midfielders”.

At the end of the day there are options.

Dasilva is a better LWB than LB, for sure. Likewise Perreira or Hunt on the right, if either stay. So no recruitment to is needed to suit the wing-back system unless we lose both Perreira and Hunt. 

Personally, despite being a big fan of both Morrell and Walsh, I doubt we can play both of them in four-man midfield, hence the need for a back three to accommodate them both or a new holding midfielder to protect the back four. 

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Dasilva is a better LWB than LB, for sure.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him there to make that judgement.  He’s started two games there this season, a few more last season.  I think he is better as a LB moving onto the ball....but about opinions, and it’s not like we’ve ever played a settled side / system to see someone grow into a position either.

Likewise Perreira or Hunt on the right, if either stay. So no recruitment to is needed to suit the wing-back system unless we lose both Perreira and Hunt.

As I said, I think you need four, two on each side.  I’m happy to see Rowe and Dasilva on the left, but I think it’s unlikely Pereira will come back, certainly not at £5m...plus new manager will have own ideas there.  If we really want to play WBs we need an upgrade on Hunt imho.

Personally, despite being a big fan of both Morrell and Walsh, I doubt we can play both of them in four-man midfield, hence the need for a back three to accommodate them both or a new holding midfielder to protect the back four.

Makes sense.  I think a lot of us are saying much the same ??

It’ll be interesting to see what the new man wants. It seems agreed the , if Morrell and Walsh played in the same side we’d need 3 in midfield. 
Chris Hughton , has never played 3 at the back , only played 433 fleetingly at Brighton. 
so, is it a question for the board .  possibly with money tight due to COVID that we appoint a manager that plays a system that suits our current squad ? 

Archived