IGNORED

City v Boro

City oz

Well this is not the thread Dave Fes does and by the way he does it very well. 

I just looked in to my Bristol City bible the one written by Dave Woods and Andrew Crabtree ( i cherish this book) and looked quickly back to the years from 1967 to 1974 when I was a young lad dressed in red and white, my city shirt, my city scarf and a want to be football hoolaogon that hated the gas. 

Showing my age now but just behind the goal in the east end was the place to be.

I did attend against the Boro matches during this period at Ashton gate with my dad and many City friends and some of these friends are season ticket members to this day from many years ago. Nearly all still drink scrumpy on doctors supervision.

69/70 home we had a o-o draw and away at a loss 2-0.

70/71 we went down 1-0 away and 2-0 at home.

71/72 we did have a win at home 2-1 with Chrissy Garland ( a wanna be Bee gee Barry Gibb love child)  scoring a penalty and the great Wimsurust also scoring.

72/73 a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 loss.

73/74 a 2-0 loss and then at home a 1-1 draw the city goal was scored by a great footballer sir Don Giliies ( It was reported Don in those years attended the harvesters pub in stockwood and made a point in regards to no one messes with the robins)

Lets hope tomorrow its a win to City. The players, the supporters, the club officials, the club support staff all deserve a massive win. 

COYR.

I remember those years too. Every year Boro  used to come and play for a 0-0.

That 69-70 game; Boro were defending the Open End in the 2nd half and with ten mins to  go, their 'keeper turned round and was annoyed we wouldn't say how long to  go!

Boro always looked drab then as their away shirt was funerial black & blue stripes.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

They were big, rough house lads carved out of the tough environment in which they lived.

Nothing fancy about them at that time.

Juninho would have been folded in four and kicked into touch back then. 

1 hour ago, 22A said:

That 69-70 game; Boro were defending the Open End in the 2nd half and with ten mins to  go, their 'keeper turned round and was annoyed we wouldn't say how long to  go!

Boro always looked drab then as their away shirt was funerial black & blue stripes.

Back in the day before overnight stays, dieticians and all that stuff you probably had to be at the ground for a 6am start then 6 hours on the Middlesbrough equivalent of a Buglers Coach with a burger van stop, play the game, get kicked lumps out of you for 90 minutes (as was the way back then), quick shower, chat and pint with the opposition then another 6 hours on the coach afterwards with a fish and chip stop before driving back home to your 2 up/2 down Victorian terrace in Hartlepool!!

Not sure I would be that keen on getting beat if I was going through that and a 0-0 in Bristol would do very nicely..........as Alan Hansen used to say "take the point and get out of there"!!

Archived