IGNORED

Holden Dean to account (bad pun...)

mozo

I thought we might want to assess the leadership of Dean Holden so long as it lasts (4.5 years perhaps ?)...

Pre match:

When Holden was given the caretaker role he was immediately thrust in front of the media, and did and said everything to the textbook. He did the LJ condolences, gratitude for the opportunity, and the standard pre-match spiel about the challenge ahead (home v Hull) and need to be on it. On radio Bristol, he struck a nice balance of expressive and guarded. Job done.

Selection:

Well, it was more of the same, in that not much was the same! He didn't stick with LJ's final 11 (or shape or tactics). He went to a back three, which was one of the variations that Johnson arguably should have tried, but resisted. So, Holden took a gamble on yet more change, but arguably a sensible one given that the squad available to him has the right defensive and midfield options.

When the line up was announced, OTIB went into the usual routine of trying to solve the puzzle of who was likely to play where. It was an odd selection. Most curious was Korey Smith being the only recognised central midfielder in a three man midfield, whilst Nagy, Massengo and Rowe, all qualified to play alongside him, were benched. We scratched our heads, and it turned out that Paterson was playing in a playmaker role alongside Smith and Weimann in what probably would have been the Palmer role had he been available. Also notable: a new strike partnership (Wels and Diedhiou) and the previously unfancied Benkovic back in the side.

Overall, a sensible formation, with a couple of curious inclusions.

Tactics:

We don't know the minutae, but Moore said in comms that the message was to enjoy possession, play with enthusiasm and to create chances. 

In-game:

One thing that was very evident was that he was all smiles on the touchline. This makes sense. To get the players out of a rut he needs to make the matchday a positive experience. Several times he was caught on camera looking relaxed and a couple of times laughing with the players. It's the right thing to do, but nothing to suggest he could keep smiling if he had the pressures of the job long-term.

Subs:

We've seen some baffling substitutions under Johnson, but nothing along those lines against Hull. Holden was forced into a change after 5 minuted when Baker went down, and the sensible thing to do was to bring Vyner on and push him to the right of the three. Tick. Afobe replaced Wells for the last 20, which kept us fresh up front, and Watkins was brought on in injury time to kill the game. Bravo!

Post match:

More media-savvy generic comments. Nothing to see here.

Game 2:

So the intriguing thing now is to see if Holden follows the age-old wisdom and keeps a winning side in place for the next game (depending on Baker's availability). Whilst Johnson might have been tempted to adjust to suit the opposition, Holden surely will opt for consistency in the hope of building confidence and momentum. But will Warnock look at that midfield three and see a weakness? Would Howson and Saville fancy their chances against Paterson? This could be giving Holden sleepless nights. Perhaps not?!

Good post @mozo.

I liked that he picked his set up....and stuck to it....even through the subs.

image.thumb.png.ecacd151b5c049e0faba777f5c0b3808.png

Not suggesting he gets the job or anything like that, but a single approach can breed familiarity, means players can come in and know the job in hand, etc, etc.

The Nagy for Weimann just a small tweak to consolidate more.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post @mozo.

I liked that he picked his set up....and stuck to it....even through the subs.

image.thumb.png.ecacd151b5c049e0faba777f5c0b3808.png

Not suggesting he gets the job or anything like that, but a single approach can breed familiarity, means players can come in and know the job in hand, etc, etc.

The Nagy for Weimann just a small tweak your consolidate more.

Thanks Fevs. Good point you make there and another little element that contributes to the overall performance. 

Personally, I'm not looking at Holden as a candidate. I'd like to think that even if he now wins a couple more games it would be taken as token success, not a reason to take him more seriously. 

Regards the Hull game, yes it was much more positive, attacking mentality, and an injection of common sense from the sidelines, I'd still say that Holden gets 7/10 tops for this one. 

Hull were evidently low on confidence themselves but they arguably should have had a penalty to level things. The game was low on quality and the midfield selection doesn't seem right to me.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I am very interested to see what tomorrows line up will be.

Could he gamble with Nagy and Massengo, who both played so well together when we beat Luton.

I say gamble because we don't know what we will get with them.

Or could we move Vyner alongside Nagy in midfield with Baker hopefully okay to go back in alongside Kalas and Benkovic.

I ask these questions because Korey may be tired. But my guess would be Korey stays in the side.

If that is the case then Korey with Nagy and Paterson a bit more advanced.

Pretty sure he will stick with Fam and Wells. Only thing he might do is maybe go with Afobe and Fam.

But I am not sure if Holden is another Weimann fan. Then it would make sense to play him up top with Afobe like earlier in the season.

Whilst I agree with all your points, it's starting to sound a bit tinkery!

12 minutes ago, mozo said:

Whilst I agree with all your points, it's starting to sound a bit tinkery!

Let’s see same system for starters.

Only changes from Wednesday that I’d consider are:

• Vyner for Baker (if concussed)
  • someone for Weimann (probably Nagy, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Eliasson in a narrower role)
  • someone for Smith (if tired - he looked it)

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

No thanks. Holden is probably a nice chap, a decent coach but he is not the person we need as Manager / Head Coach.

Nobody said he was to be fair.  The op was evaluating what Holden did in his first game , that’s all. 
I think the players need some familiarity . They’ve had chopping and changing squad and formation for way too long.

stick with 352 as it gets 3 in midfield which is our weakest position . Same back 3 if Baker is fit. Maybe swap Nagy for wiemann , otherwise , keep it the same. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s see same system for starters.

Only changes from Wednesday that I’d consider are:

• Vyner for Baker (if concussed)
  • someone for Weimann (probably Nagy, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Eliasson in a narrower role)
  • someone for Smith (if tired - he looked it)

Interesting why you mention Eliasson in a narrow position Dave . He seemed to play narrow against Huddersfield at home and caused havoc for parts of the game. Do you think he has the defensive discipline to play there ? 
ive always been worried about his defensive positioning . It would be interesting to see how he would get coached differently by more experienced manager. 

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Interesting why you mention Eliasson in a narrow position Dave . He seemed to play narrow against Huddersfield at home and caused havoc for parts of the game. Do you think he has the defensive discipline to play there ?

no, but I don’t think Weimann did either, and I want to see Niclas narrower so he has option inside and outside. I’d like to see him get into more scoring positions.  Watching those training videos, although he has a wand of a left foot for crosses, he can be a real threat attacking opponents in between the lines of the 18 yard box.
ive always been worried about his defensive positioning . It would be interesting to see how he would get coached differently by more experienced manager.

I can’t believe his positioning is so immature...it’s either him or coaching or both.  Like you I’d love to see a new head-coach get hold of him.

Archived