IGNORED

Final chance for a claim at 6th?

ollywhyte

I have £40 on a Brentford v Fukham play off final..........and withour tempting fate. I am optimistic.  I  just cannot see us winning the last 4 games, and even if we achieved this unlikely feat our goal difference probably would not be good enough.  Next season is the way to look forward, new manager, new tactics and a new 6 points off of Villa ?

6 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Just seen all of the current top 10, play each other this weekend ?

Fulham v Cardiff (Currently 2-0)
Derby v Brentford
Blackburn v West Brom
Preston v Forest
Swansea v Leeds

Fulham, Brentford, Brom, Forest and Leeds wins, combined with a City win would see us just 3 points off the play offs with 3 games to play. Albeit with an inferior GD, however getting to within 2 points going into the final day would at least make it more enjoyable!

Is there anyone still as optimistic as me out there?! ? Don't know why I do it to myself!

Derby will spanner it up. Its Woonies to lose.

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Even if we win and the results go our way . We’re not good enough, especially in midfield . The seasons done. 
mind you, imagine if we win all our games , sneak in the play offs then go up . Imagine LJ’s face ?

And Dean Holden's. Does he then get the job?

5 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Three of Leeds, WBA, Brentford and Fulham will go up. I can’t see us making 6th but it’s clearly not impossible. Unfortunately I think Boro will beat us tomorrow regardless. 

But if Boro lose Colin will still blame it on Lee Johnson!

In teori we can be top six, but it will not happen. We got an ok team but not there yet, something missing. The restart have been awful, thinking of the first 3 games. If we had 3 more points then we got the chance. Brentford and Fulham are better then us,  Cardiff and Forest a little better. A table never lies and Im dissapointing that we not can be top six. LJ got the team selektion and tactic wrong  plenty of games. How he could play COD eight days a week is a mistory. Its easy to say what went wrong today but thats football. We are a descent !!!Club in this leauge but really hope we can step up a level next season. COYR

31 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Nice to day dream! 
Forget it, history tells us 70 points which is our max will not get you pray offs.

last two seasons Derby got 6th on 74 & 75 points, season before that Fulham  got 6th spot with a monster 80 points. Anything above mid table a result now. 

While I am not that optimistic of City finishing 6th or even 7th or 8th, the league seems a lot closer this season.
Only 11 points between Reading in 13th and Barnsley in 24th.
And all of the bottom 3 clubs already have 42+ points with 4 games still to go.
Every chance that 70 points could be enough to guarantee 6th place, especially given the next two rounds of fixtures.

57 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Nice to day dream! 
Forget it, history tells us 70 points which is our max will not get you pray offs.

last two seasons Derby got 6th on 74 & 75 points, season before that Fulham  got 6th spot with a monster 80 points. Anything above mid table a result now. 

If we got 70 points we would make the play offs. But we wont get 70 points.

Max anyone can get is 75 Swansea knock that down to 72 as we would have to beat them. The others can only get 73 max.

I am relieved we cannot be relegated...nice to have some hopes still of promotion, but it is not at all possible, not with the current form it isn't. Just enjoy the fact we can concentrate on next season with a clean sheet and a new manager, all about next season now.

40 minutes ago, Red7 said:

While I am not that optimistic of City finishing 6th or even 7th or 8th, the league seems a lot closer this season.
Only 11 points between Reading in 13th and Barnsley in 24th.
And all of the bottom 3 clubs already have 42+ points with 4 games still to go.
Every chance that 70 points could be enough to guarantee 6th place, especially given the next two rounds of fixtures.

Much like the season we went down, when only 15 points separated Peterborough in 22nd (55 points) from a playoff place - 70 points was enough for 6th that year too.

The joy of the Championship is that it’s much more competitive than the Premier League. There are a lot of mid table teams like us, who if they go on a good run could sneak the playoffs, while if they have a long enough bad run (or their owners stick them into administration) could suddenly find themselves in a relegation battle. By comparison the Premier League (at least in terms of the positions if not the occasional result) is very predictable.

If we can get top 10 then that's a good season considering it's been a "sack the manager" season. The fact we can still mathematically get 6th despite our appalling restart is quite impressive really.

It's all about getting the new manager in to assess the squad now. All the prospective new managers will be watching our games very carefully at the moment I would imagine.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Much like the season we went down, when only 15 points separated Peterborough in 22nd (55 points) from a playoff place - 70 points was enough for 6th that year too.

The joy of the Championship is that it’s much more competitive than the Premier League. There are a lot of mid table teams like us, who if they go on a good run could sneak the playoffs, while if they have a long enough bad run (or their owners stick them into administration) could suddenly find themselves in a relegation battle. By comparison the Premier League (at least in terms of the positions if not the occasional result) is very predictable.

The joy of this forum. So much speculation. As I have said so many times Dr. LJ was never the man to take us on and the sacking came too late for a playoff push. I always said we would finish lower than last year and around mid-table. The next appointment is vital and not the cheap lower league option with 'potential' and 'exciting'. Looking forward to today as we can play with a freedom sadly lacking in most games this season. Never say never but top 6 highly unlikely. Hope you are well and see you in the Merch soon for a beer. ?

3 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Such as?

The Sags getting relegated from League Two, while perhaps the funniest thing ever, was pretty strange. A lot of results had to fall into place. And they did. Thankfully. 

10 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Derby v Brentford
Blackburn v West Brom
Preston v Forest
Swansea v Leeds

Fulham, Brentford, Brom, Forest and Leeds wins, combined with a City win would see us just 3 points off the play offs with 3 games to play. Albeit with an inferior GD, however getting to within 2 points going into the final day would at least make it more enjoyable!

Is there anyone still as optimistic as me out there?! ? Don't know why I do it to myself!

Please don’t put me through it!  

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

If we got 70 points we would make the play offs. But we wont get 70 points.

Max anyone can get is 75 Swansea knock that down to 72 as we would have to beat them. The others can only get 73 max.

There are even more 6 pointers coming up after today too.  As you say we won’t get 70 points, but if Derby lose to Brentford at lunchtime, then there Dean Holden’s per match gee up becomes interesting!

55 minutes ago, Red7 said:

The Sags getting relegated from League Two, while perhaps the funniest thing ever, was pretty strange. A lot of results had to fall into place. And they did. Thankfully. 

In their own kit.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

There are even more 6 pointers coming up after today too.  As you say we won’t get 70 points, but if Derby lose to Brentford at lunchtime, then there Dean Holden’s per match gee up becomes interesting!

Still a slight mathmatical chance we scrape in on 6th spot. Gees more pains in my chest coming up. 

The season is still not quite over yet.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Lee was sacked too late for a promo challange.....about 2years too late

October / November last year he should of gone. Maybe even December when at home we went down against Blackburn. Before that we were doing OK. If he did go then we would probably have at least another 12 points in the bag at this stage. 

I think this misplaced euphoria about reaching a play off place will finally wither on the vine and die today.

How can anyone expect us to get a result at Boro, Warnock the great man motivator will have his team running through brick walls to get the points to avoid relegation whilst we on the other hand are in limbo awaiting our new manager with one eye on holiday flights.

I would love to be proved wrong  but consider this fixture a home banker.

As other have said it is now all about next season.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can't be bothered to look through years of examples of teams going on great runs to stay up or make playoffs or autos or win leagues etc. So many unlikely things happen in football. Unlikely results etc. Us making playoffs would be unlikely but been far less likely things happen too.

Well we are on a great run now as we have everything to play for. The players now seem relaxed after the last win. Mentally for the players and the Ashton gate team in general they all deserve some wins and a great finish to the season.

COYR

12 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Derby v Brentford
Blackburn v West Brom
Preston v Forest
Swansea v Leeds

Tuesday/Wednesday fixtures

WBA v Fulham

Cardiff v Derby

Brentford v Preston

Nott'm Forest v Swansea

They can't all win!!!

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

In teori we can be top six, but it will not happen. We got an ok team but not there yet, something missing. The restart have been awful, thinking of the first 3 games. If we had 3 more points then we got the chance. Brentford and Fulham are better then us,  Cardiff and Forest a little better. A table never lies and Im dissapointing that we not can be top six. LJ got the team selektion and tactic wrong  plenty of games. How he could play COD eight days a week is a mistory. Its easy to say what went wrong today but thats football. We are a descent !!!Club in this leauge but really hope we can step up a level next season. COYR

Descent club!! sad to say that's been all too true lately.

1 minute ago, foghornred said:

Who actually wants to go up this season at a empty Wembley it would be so much better if the fans were there.

Lets put everything into going up next season if this virus is not still about.

Well I for one would have loved to go up this season whether or not at an empty Wembley, we aren't in a position to pick and choose when we go up I know where your coming from but I doubt many fans would agree with you.

Archived