IGNORED

Jack Charlton

glynriley

Not going to lie, I hated his plastic Irish side with their made up relatives but he was an absolute football legend.

Brilliantly effective defender, Leeds all time appearance holder, a World Cup winner (only 11 Englishmen can say that).

Superb club manager, did wonders at Boro, Wednesday & not bad at all at Newcastle, then of course there is his time with Ireland.

RIP big Jack.

Being too young for 66, I had the final on vhs.  For all the talk of Moore being such a good footballer CB, I couldn’t believe how good Jack was on the ball, striding into that midfield.

As for Ireland, he showed what you can achieve with a structure and players to suit that.

Seem to recall he did a good job with Wednesday too.

But who can forget Euro 80 with him calling the German striker Horst “Rubbish” (Hrubesch).

RIP Jack.

What a crap year this becoming - particularly for Leeds fans with three club legends passing away. 

RIP Big Jack, I`ll never forget his touchline rant at the officials for refusing to allow drinks for the players at USA 94 when they were playing in Miami in about 100 degree heat. That World Cup was probably my favourite ever and Jack`s Ireland were a huge part of that.

Are the pubs open in Ireland yet? There`ll be a few pints of Guinness sunk tonight in his memory if they are - and that is exactly what he would have wanted.

I will echo all the great words already said. I too am too young for the World Cup but am fiercely proud of my Irish heritage and certainly enjoyed what he was able to do with my ‘other’ football team. A true footballing Gentleman. RIP.

31 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What a crap year this becoming - particularly for Leeds fans with three club legends passing away. 

RIP Big Jack, I`ll never forget his touchline rant at the officials for refusing to allow drinks for the players at USA 94 when they were playing in Miami in about 100 degree heat. That World Cup was probably my favourite ever and Jack`s Ireland were a huge part of that.

Are the pubs open in Ireland yet? There`ll be a few pints of Guinness sunk tonight in his memory if they are - and that is exactly what he would have wanted.

Didn’t he have a barrel of Guinness in his hotel room? Or have I dreamt that up? 

RIP Jackie - England and Ireland football legend. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not going to lie, I hated his plastic Irish side with their made up relatives but he was an absolute football legend.

I know what you’re saying, but that was part of it for me.

He gave a country a lot of pride for a short spell. 

Thats not a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Hunter, Cherry and Charlton all taken from this planet recently. Some defence forming up there

Great players, great sportsman, great commitment to football, great respect from all. Obviously Norman from me hurts the most as every time I had seen him play wearing the city shirt he played with the upmost aggression, compassion, sometimes a bit dirty football at times but he was a bloody hero just like the the others.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I make it 12, including Sir Alf? 

Good point, obviously I was referring to players in a time when there were no substitutes allowed at all.

Sadly only Cohen, Stiles, Bobby Charlton, Hunt & Hurst are left now.

Archived