IGNORED

Jack Charlton

glynriley

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not going to lie, I hated his plastic Irish side with their made up relatives but he was an absolute football legend.

Brilliantly effective defender, Leeds all time appearance holder, a World Cup winner (only 11 Englishmen can say that).

Superb club manager, did wonders at Boro, Wednesday & not bad at all at Newcastle, then of course there is his time with Ireland.

RIP big Jack.

Some plastic English players too around the same era - Terry Butcher, John Barnes, Matt Le Tissier, Cyrille Regis, Graham Le Saux, Luther Blissett etc

Anyone older than late 40s remember watching a football coaching programme, something like "Play Soccer - Jack Charlton's Way" I think it was called, in the late 70’s/very early 80s?

Basically Jack coaching a load of kids on a pitch, somewhere up north. No drones, box entries or, er, stuff about identity. Probably a fair bit of knocking it long, running the channels, and getting it in the mixer. Lee and @spudski would be horrified.

3 hours ago, walnutroof said:

They say things come in threes and that’s three Leeds legends now to sadly pass on in the past couple of months 

and all sadly not around to see their mighty Leeds get promotion (as they surely will) this season

I had an instructor on my first coaching course in the mid 80s who had taken his qualifications in a class with Jack. He said Jack was quite inept when it came to the basic skills but once he was under the pressure of game play he became totally opposite and was the player we all knew.

20 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Anyone older than late 40s remember watching a football coaching programme, something like "Play Soccer - Jack Charlton's Way" I think it was called, in the late 70’s/very early 80s?

Basically Jack coaching a load of kids on a pitch, somewhere up north. No drones, box entries or, er, stuff about identity. Probably a fair bit of knocking it long, running the channels, and getting it in the mixer. Lee and @spudski would be horrified.

Yes. I think it was oon Sunday mornings. I also remember he did a fishing program.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Being too young for 66, I had the final on vhs.  For all the talk of Moore being such a good footballer CB, I couldn’t believe how good Jack was on the ball, striding into that midfield.

As for Ireland, he showed what you can achieve with a structure and players to suit that.

Seem to recall he did a good job with Wednesday too.

But who can forget Euro 80 with him calling the German striker Horst “Rubbish” (Hrubesch).

RIP Jack.

He was a great footballer & would be 'told off' by Revie for some of his elegant forays into midfield.

Bad, bad year for losing some of the finest footballers of my youth.

Big Jack was very special - they certainly don't make em like that anymore.

RIP wor Jackie.

4 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

If I remember correctly wasn't it Jackie Charlton who said " I can't wait for Bristol City to be back where they belong about tenth in the second division" when we were in the dark times of the middle eighties? 

Yes, I was just thinking about that. I believe he spoke at a fundraising dinner for our club in 1982. He raised a laugh by saying that 'I look forward to you being back where you belong - about 12th in the second division'. 

Strange that we should be there today. 

Shall we say it was difficult to like that Leeds team in the 70s - they were so flippin' good. But what a team. Just saw some footage on the news. Terry Cooper passes to Norman Hunter on the left wing and he crosses for Jack Charlton to head in. I suspect it was the day they hit seven against Southampton. 

The fact that we beat that Leeds side in 74 remains one of my proudest memories, while to have TC and Norman later joining us became significant in our history. 

But I digress, RIP Jack. Condolences to your family and friends. 

Had the privilege of meeting him at the English flyfishing championship final at Kielder water many years ago where he was presenting the awards.  Chatted to him about football and his time as Irish manager over a beer or three.  Nice bloke and great company.  RIP Jack.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yes. I think it was oon Sunday mornings. I also remember he did a fishing program.

Yes. loved his fishing, was an old fashioned centre half, who could also bring the ball out of defence and start moves, (Webster?)  R.I.P Jack  World Cup Winner.

A True legend of the game!

Good to see the players clapping before the game but not the send off he deserves there should be the fans singing his name at all 91 league clubs.

I hope that when we get back into grounds this can be corrected. 

Archived