IGNORED

Middlesbrough v Bristol City Match Day 43

Septic Peg

Just now, Curr Avon said:

Wasted pass from a Weimann from another excellent breakaway. 

Second time in this half that he has given the ball away when we were in a great position, hard to be critical today but he looks the one who is trying too hard. 

2 minutes ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

Weimann choice of passes are really questionable.

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Wasted pass from a Weimann from another excellent breakaway. 

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

For all his endeavour, weimann’s link up play is terrible. Either passes way too over hit or not enough on it. Needs to work on that. 

@weston red

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really do wonder if the major issue with LJ wasn't so much that the players disliked him or didn't buy into his ideas as much as that performances were analysed to an extent that he inadvertently got them to a point where they were so worried about getting things wrong that they lacked the confidence to get things right.

Paterson in particular now seems freed up to play his natural game and it is making a massive difference.

I'd love us to appoint a manager next season who encourages the team to go out and enjoy playing. Structure, analysis and discipline are important but I wonder if LJ sometimes forgot that players had got where they had got to based on what they could do well and sometimes it is about building on that rather than deconstructing it. 

Definitely something in this. The modern coach approaches the game with a scientific eye on all the fine details, looking for the marginal gains. It has its advantages but it risks over-analysis to the point of paralysing the player through fear. Imagine if your every move in the office at work was analysed to the nth degree...for many of us that would be counterproductive.

Holden said something midweek about “just going out there and expressing yourselves” - which seems to support your theory.

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

In short, another failure fuelled by inconsistency.

the fact that we have been in automatic contention for the past 3 years and been allowed to throw it away is failure.

If we finished 6th I would struggle to define that as failure. I realise this remains unlikely but nonetheless it is still possible despite being largely average or worse for most of the season. It’s a very odd season in many ways.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If we finished 6th I would struggle to define that as failure. I realise this remains unlikely but nonetheless it is still possible despite being largely average or worse for most of the season. It’s a very odd season in many ways.

That was the problem.

People describing our ‘progress’ forget how given the squad and the performances in us, we essentially just threw the opportunity away.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

In short, another failure fuelled by inconsistency.

the fact that we have been in automatic contention for the past 3 years and been allowed to throw it away is failure.

Never really had us down as genuine top 2 personally, certainly not last two seasons.

Had we beaten Wolves at the end of 2017 then maybe dare to dream but we can't deny Leeds, WBA, Brentford all superior this year, Fulham wow dunno how well they're managed but such squad depth! 

Even in 2017/18, Wolves were likely to get top 2, Fulham came with a huge run, Aston Villa big club,  huge wages. We should've made playoffs though IMO, gaps we'd created an hour in during that Wolves game over potential rivals! 

Last season, Leeds were clearly better, Sheffield United showing this season that they were worthy top two- albeit we beat them 3/4 times in 2 seasons!

Norwich didn't strike me as top two contenders in summer 2018.

Point is we weren't one of the best two sides I think, not really.  Playoffs OTOH...especially two years ago and this year. Think 5th or 6th should've been within range.

Archived