IGNORED

Farke

Kingswoodactor

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

⬇️

Yep basically what I was going to say. Buendia, Cantwell and Godfrey all will have big interest from bigger clubs. 

It is true about the money and keeping players. The problem is the players though. They don’t have to be happy about Norwich rejecting offers for them. Them telling Dortmund they want 50m for Godfret for example. How does he feel about that? What problems does that cause down the line? Of course it is all an if but we have seen it here what 1-2 players with an eye elsewhere can do to a team. 

Not saying Norwich got is very wrong because they will be in a good place financially. That said they didn’t do morale any favours not strengthening. That side looks real flat and low on confidence. Think it will be a big ask for them to finish top 6 next season. On paper should be easy but are players going to look at Farke the same after the way 2020 went for them? He didn’t adapt at all to their situation and imo that could be a big problem next season on top of losing, most likely, 3-4 of their best players. 

Depending on contract situation and the players temperament it's really not hard to convince players to stay for one season, like we did with Flint, like Leicester did with Mahrez, like Liverpool did with Coutinho. Or they get 40 million quid for a player, which is mental money at this level. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe their philosophy will never work in the Prem tho. They won the league last season so not sure why they should just accept relegation whilst play off winners Sheff U stay in the top half all season. 

There's also no guarantee they'll be able to hang onto their best players and that presents risk in terms of being able to replace them adequately. 

Villa were the play off winners, Sheff Utd was runner up by 5 points 

3 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Depending on contract situation and the players temperament it's really not hard to convince players to stay for one season, like we did with Flint, like Leicester did with Mahrez, like Liverpool did with Coutinho. Or they get 40 million quid for a player, which is mental money at this level. 

Of course. It is not unheard of but it does happen. I’d even argue in some of your examples their production fell in that final season with Coutinho and Mahrez. Got no numbers just going off memory.

Again Norwich in a good spot just not certain they did themselves many favours with this season. What is the point of promotion if you are going to seemingly give up before you start? Personally think it set up the attitude of the whole season for them. Meanwhile Sheffield United added 4-5 players within their wage structure from the championship. Not loads but made them a bit deeper and gave them options if things did not go to plan. They would have been in good shape if they had been relegated too. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Of course. It is not unheard of but it does happen. I’d even argue in some of your examples their production fell in that final season with Coutinho and Mahrez. Got no numbers just going off memory.

Again Norwich in a good spot just not certain they did themselves many favours with this season. What is the point of promotion if you are going to seemingly give up before you start? Personally think it set up the attitude of the whole season for them. Meanwhile Sheffield United added 4-5 players within their wage structure from the championship. Not loads but made them a bit deeper and gave them options if things did not go to plan. They would have been in good shape if they had been relegated too. 

Sheffield United spent the best part of 40 million quid in the summer, 20 on McBernie 10 on Mousett and then another 10-15 on Freeman and Robinson. Then and another 20 on Snader Berger in Jan. 

They didn't just pick up a few players here and there they spent serious money, Norwich were a club that was financially in massive trouble before selling Maddison the year before. 

Sheffield United spent some cash and have a manager who really is top class, if he can keep Sheffield United in a similar position next year to get a better manager than him you are fishing in a pool of 3 and they are Klopp, Pep and Zidane he really is that good. 

I think Norwich probably should have brought a bit more in, but I don't know their financial situation, and it may have been long term they couldn't justify much more than they did to risk on staying up. 

43 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Sheffield United spent the best part of 40 million quid in the summer, 20 on McBernie 10 on Mousett and then another 10-15 on Freeman and Robinson. Then and another 20 on Snader Berger in Jan. 

They didn't just pick up a few players here and there they spent serious money, Norwich were a club that was financially in massive trouble before selling Maddison the year before. 

Sheffield United spent some cash and have a manager who really is top class, if he can keep Sheffield United in a similar position next year to get a better manager than him you are fishing in a pool of 3 and they are Klopp, Pep and Zidane he really is that good. 

I think Norwich probably should have brought a bit more in, but I don't know their financial situation, and it may have been long term they couldn't justify much more than they did to risk on staying up. 

They’d pushed FFP, but were ok.  But suspect last summer would’ve been a serious cull of the squad had they not gone up.

ACC89A99-A000-45AB-8C69-E67D3B391AAE.png

B2F37F23-EDDF-4863-8580-A83C54A54F9D.png

2 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Yes but transfer fees aren’t the biggest issue. The bought players on manageable wages and with resale value. They would have been fine with the prize money and parachute payment had they been relegated. 

Norwich could have done similar in the summer is all I am saying. I don’t see the point in not competing. 

Archived