IGNORED

Pato

Smokey

It has to be said Pato seems to be a perfect fit for the deeper role he's playing. With freedom to push forward and the added responsibility it's brought the best out of him, dare I say it's like having a Wade Elliott type back in the team.

3 minutes ago, Smokey said:

It has to be said Pato seems to be a perfect fit for the deeper role he's playing. With freedom to push forward and the added responsibility it's brought the best out of him, dare I say it's like having a Wade Elliott type back in the team.

This Pato is nothing new, we have seen this throughout his career at City. Its his lack of consistency that lets him down IMO, he is far too flakey to rely on if we want to push for promotion next season. A massive shame as on his day he is one of the best in this division in that number 10 role.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

This Pato is nothing new, we have seen this throughout his career at City. Its his lack of consistency that lets him down IMO, he is far too flakey to rely on if we want to push for promotion next season. A massive shame as on his day he is one of the best in this division in that number 10 role.

To be fair if he was this good all the time he would be playing prem football.

17 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exactly this. Let’s see him do it week in week out for a season before we start sucking him off 

23 minutes ago, bris red said:

Nail on head.

During his time with us he has had spells of being unplayable but if we are serious about promotion consistency is key.

The defensive side of his game is woeful.  And you can't afford that in today's midfield.

I don't think I've ever seen him head a ball.  He's about the only player we have who can attack a defence but I don't think that is enough.  Plus, he will disappear for about 30 minutes every game.

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

The defensive side of his game is woeful.  And you can't afford that in today's midfield.

I don't think I've ever seen him head a ball.  He's about the only player we have who can attack a defence but I don't think that is enough.  Plus, he will disappear for about 30 minutes every game.

Sure he scored against Blackburn with a header? 

Just now, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Sure he scored against Blackburn with a header? 

He did.

Some of the comments in this thread are just hilarious.

If Kasey Palmer had made the contribution Pato has since returning from Derby we would never hear the end of it.

Plus that consistency thing, very few number 10s are & he remains the best one that we have.

When played to his strengths and right position, he's one of the best in the division. Sadly, he's been played wide left on so many occasions where his defensive abilities are weak and he cannot go past a man down the flank. So, he is limited when played in the left, so why play him there?

His best ever spell was in central attacking midfield playing behind Bobby Reid, when Fammy came back from injury, Patterson went to the left, Bobby dropped back to central, Joe Bryan went to LB and Magnússon was hung out to dry. Patterson, Bryan and Bobby were all displaced and were less effective in the second half of that season.

England had a problem with left midfield a while back and, various players from Gerrard, Lampard, Bridge and even Gascoine were played out of position with little effect as a result, Bridge being the most suited.

I believe you play a player in their best position, even if it means other good players are not selected, it's all about the balance of the team for me.

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

When played to his strengths and right position, he's one of the best in the division. Sadly, he's been played wide left on so many occasions where his defensive abilities are weak and he cannot go past a man down the flank. So, he is limited when played in the left, so why play him there?

His best ever spell was in central attacking midfield playing behind Bobby Reid, when Fammy came back from injury, Patterson went to the left, Bobby dropped back to central, Joe Bryan went to LB and Magnússon was hung out to dry. Patterson, Bryan and Bobby were all displaced and were less effective in the second half of that season.

England had a problem with left midfield a while back and, various players from Gerrard, Lampard, Bridge and even Gascoine were played out of position with little effect as a result, Bridge being the most suited.

I believe you play a player in their best position, even if it means other good players are not selected, it's all about the balance of the team for me.

Spot on. Better chance of a player showing more consistency if he is played in his best position consistently. Pato needs to play centrally not on the wing. 

I think he’s revelled in the central midfield role. 
For those who question what he’s done before, worth remembering that this is a role he’s never played in before. 
I know it’s only been 2 games, against admittedly rather poor opposition, but he’s done very well in there. 

The 3-man midfield has very much been KS & JP as the deeper roles and AW higher up behind the strikers. JP is the one of the 2 deeper ones to have the freedom to both come deep to start play and also go high to link play. It’s definitely not an attacking midfield role which he’s played before, it’s very much box to box. 

No surprise that our possession has been better with a confident player like him coming and receiving the call from all across the back 5 and the other midfielders. Having someone comfortable in possession in your own half, who you know will be available, just breeds the confidence for other players to keep the ball rather than panic and hoof. 

He’s also kept a good shape and discipline defensively, making sure he’s working very much as a pair with Korey.  He made a fair few good blocks today as well - something you rarely see from him. 

I’m not preparing to give him oral yet (as hinted above), but he’s certainly produced 2 performances in centre mid that no one else has done this season. 

Early days, but has Holden found his ‘Bobby’, and come upon the right position for a player previously flirting around in various roles. 

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Was taking corners with both feet today. I don't think I've seen a city player do that before (might not have been paying enough attention!).

Agree . I’m waiting for someone to tell us when that’s ever happened !!

In order to accommodate Pato and Weimann LJ would generally play one or both wide. Now they are both mainly central they work well together without a natural winger. Eliasson for all his ability was maybe the reason we abandoned 5-3-2. I still feel that Smith is on the downslope now and we need a stronger ball winner with better distribution for next season. The same could be said for right back.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Was taking corners with both feet today. I don't think I've seen a city player do that before (might not have been paying enough attention!).

He was indeed.  Best two feet in the club.  Difficult to tell which one is his favoured one.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

His defensive play can be poor but today it wasn’t, nor was it Wednesday.  Maybe some home truths “you keep saying your want to play centrally, we’ll go out there and do the hard yards too” type stuff.

This shows a pretty full impact performance (green icons are positive defensive actions).

6941847B-4614-4665-ACF9-3B4664D1388E.thumb.jpeg.cc9b5da19b38a13dd0512a41d9c1758d.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think he’s revelled in the central midfield role. 
For those who question what he’s done before, worth remembering that this is a role he’s never played in before. 
I know it’s only been 2 games, against admittedly rather poor opposition, but he’s done very well in there. 

The 3-man midfield has very much been KS & JP as the deeper roles and AW higher up behind the strikers. JP is the one of the 2 deeper ones to have the freedom to both come deep to start play and also go high to link play. It’s definitely not an attacking midfield role which he’s played before, it’s very much box to box. 

No surprise that our possession has been better with a confident player like him coming and receiving the call from all across the back 5 and the other midfielders. Having someone comfortable in possession in your own half, who you know will be available, just breeds the confidence for other players to keep the ball rather than panic and hoof. 

He’s also kept a good shape and discipline defensively, making sure he’s working very much as a pair with Korey.  He made a fair few good blocks today as well - something you rarely see from him. 

I’m not preparing to give him oral yet (as hinted above), but he’s certainly produced 2 performances in centre mid that no one else has done this season. 

Early days, but has Holden found his ‘Bobby’, and come upon the right position for a player previously flirting around in various roles. 

....and shows you have to play 2xDMs in there, let alone away from home.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He was indeed.  Best two feet in the club.  Difficult to tell which one is his favoured one.

His defensive play can be poor but today it wasn’t, nor was it Wednesday.  Maybe some home truths “you keep saying your want to play centrally, we’ll go out there and do the hard yards too” type stuff.

This shows a pretty full impact performance (green icons are positive defensive actions).

6941847B-4614-4665-ACF9-3B4664D1388E.thumb.jpeg.cc9b5da19b38a13dd0512a41d9c1758d.jpeg

....and shows you have to play 2xDMs in there, let alone away from home.

Have to say never been a big fan of Pato shying out of tackles is something i'v always found hard to accept.

But i realise this isn't in every players game.  You can't doubt his technical ability,as good as anyone in the squad.

Listening to Holden talking about Pato saying he's a free spirt but tactically very aware makes you think what was Johnson doing with him?  Hold my hand up if fit for Stoke he along with Baker should be the first names on the sheet.

And what a rare thing today to see a truly two footed player.

Archived