IGNORED

What Dean Holden has done well

eric04

Picked 3-5-2, our best formation

Kept the same team - players get consistency 

Given Wells some support.. Fam takes the heat off him

Taken the shackles off - easily could have gone more defensive away from home, but went front foot by keeping Pato and Weimann in the middle with Smith

Restored Pato to the role of chief creator. (Fascinating to see what Holden can get out of Palmer). 

He's simply picking our best team.

JD starts because he's the best left back rather than worrying about their attack, Callam benched. 3 quality centre backs - Vyner learning (from the match day squad experience not pitch) and Fam / Wells supported up front.

Even Weimann and Pato look comfortable in the middle - think it's Andi's best game in 2020.

20 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Allowed them to play with more freedom and less backward passing that was killing our attacking play.

Even O'Dowda might have run toward the opposition goal if he had played.

He did play....and he did run at the opposition goal before double backing, after leaving a couple of defenders standing....then lost the ball 

Square peg, square hole.

I think as time went on, LJ lost the plot a bit and probably fell out with players along the way. Became stubborn and things started to go tits up.

Holden has gone back to basics and to be fair, has decent players to use at his disposal.

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am seriously thinking we might have to take on Holden. He is doing what i would expect from LJ and that's all I wanted in the first place. High energy, good football and solid enough without the ball.

Not perfect a times today of course, but he's doing very well.

We clearly deserved the win imo and could well have scored a few more.

Dont be ridiculous. Would be a daft appointment

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am seriously thinking we might have to take on Holden. He is doing what i would expect from LJ and that's all I wanted in the first place. High energy, good football and solid enough without the ball.

Not perfect a times today of course, but he's doing very well.

We clearly deserved the win imo and could well have scored a few more.

Get a grip..........2 games against two of the poorest teams in the league, does not a season make.   Holden is a caretaker manager who is taking care, with no pressure, he is NOT  the answer to our long term ambitions.  Talk about a Knee-Jerk reaction?

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What if we end up thinking wow I hope the new manager plays like that?

I'm thinking 'wow, I hope the new manager gets them playing like that, and knows how to maintain that performance over a season'. I agree that DH has done very well, I'd keep him on the staff but what we need is some experience of the graft required for promotion.

The other factors that must be taken into consideration are that the pressure has been off the players and expectations have been minimal. Even when we were playing well and playing a seemingly 'inferior' side we struggle when we're expected to win. I'm not saying we're a team of bottlers because confidence and momentum come from winning but the signs are better. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Hmm so if we play really good football and win games, which is all we all want, then I should 'get a grip' because I want the manager to stay on who is making that happen? ?

Careful what you wish for?  You are basing your reasoning on 2 games( I repeat) against two of the worst teams in the Championship.   I think it might be wise to see what happens against the next 3 teams, before we start offering LJ's right hand man the keys to the drinks cabinet

Feels very similar to when Pemberton took over for a few games. Made some adjustments, played players to their strengths and played with freedom. 

I think we all knew the squad was better than recent form, it was obvious we just needed a change and some fresh impetus. Things were probably stale behind the scenes. Well done Dean.

42 minutes ago, Antman said:

weimann seemed to be playing across the middle too - a little deeper, made him more dangerous.

Definitely a more traditional midfield role today, unlike Wednesday when he played a bit in no-man’s land.

Holden stuck to the same system, has probably spent a day on the training ground, tweaking things and gets a huge improvement out of Weimann and uplift in several others too.

A bit of familiarity, who knew!!! ?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have seen something that can be built upon. It is only 2 games but my point is if he keeps this up till the end of the season, and thats only if he does, then it might be hard to not give him the job.

If he is winning games and playing football we want to see then it will be hard to bring in someone that we don't know what they will do.

We bring in Houghton and he won't go with what Holden does.

I'm not saying Houghton won't succeed. But then again he might fail with what he has to work with and we might regret not keeping Holden on.

Lets see how he does till the end of the season. I bet people will change their minds on it if he does very well after an impressive start.

Sorry.........but if you do not pay attention to history, you end up repeating the same mistakes.  This has happened a couple of times before, where a caretaker manager, under no pressure, and with the benefit of the bounce effect, comes in and wins a few games, then everyone starts clamouring for him to be appointed.  The club takes the cheap option, and then lives to regret it.  Holden is NOT the answer.......if the question is, can we get to the Premiership?   I think you are being very naive for someone who i believe has supported this club for some length of time.   IMHO Holden is no more than a caretaker mamager, and to make him anything more would be a serious error of judgement.

Archived