IGNORED

What Dean Holden has done well

eric04

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What if we end up thinking wow I hope the new manager plays like that?

The last two games have been good but firstly, we’ve beaten two teams who have had a car crash of a season 

secondly, the new manager bounce won’t last long. It rarely does 

I actually quite like Holden. Comes across as sensible, no nonsense and doesn’t over think things. I remember his calmness when we scored that winners against Man U....just screamed professional to me. Can well imagine him keeping people grounded during a crisis 

but let’s not forget he ran out of ideas to. Not just LJ 

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have seen something that can be built upon. It is only 2 games but my point is if he keeps this up till the end of the season, and thats only if he does, then it might be hard to not give him the job.

If he is winning games and playing football we want to see then it will be hard to bring in someone that we don't know what they will do.

We bring in Houghton and he won't go with what Holden does.

I'm not saying Houghton won't succeed. But then again he might fail with what he has to work with and we might regret not keeping Holden on.

Lets see how he does till the end of the season. I bet people will change their minds on it if he does very well after an impressive start.

It’s the very typical bounce from sacking a manager. I don’t think we’ll ever read anyone post that they “regret not keeping Holden on”

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

What if we end up thinking wow I hope the new manager plays like that?

Two words - Keith Millen.....you may or may not remember Newcastle United at home in April 2010 (not me being trying to be patronising, i genuinely have no idea how old you are) but he was caretaker at this point, a few games later Coppell was appointed City manager, when that all went tits up Millen was employed and everybody harked back to how well we played when he was caretaker, especially that game in particular (we were class, 2-0 up but drew 2-2, it didnt matter)......It. Did. Not. End. Well

I am seriously thinking we might have to take on Holden. He is doing what i would expect from LJ and that's all I wanted in the first place. High energy, good football and solid enough without the ball.

Not perfect a times today of course, but he's doing very well.

We clearly deserved the win imo and could well have scored a few more.

2 games against 2 of the worst sides in the league.

It's worth noting we've played teams (Hull also) who, despite "fighting for their lives", have been lacklustre at best.

If Boro showed some bottle in the first half and played like they did in the second a draw could have been on the cards.

Bigger test will be the teams in and around us.

Simply really. Picked the right side for the right formation. 

Didn't get into a tactical battle with Warnock. 

These players played with freedom, uncumbered from systems and complicated tactics. 

Guaranteed LJ would have setup 4-3-3 then changed the whole system when he witnessed the first long throw in. 

DH deserves all the praise. Finally got these players to play.

It was very enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, eric04 said:

Picked 3-5-2, our best formation

Kept the same team - players get consistency 

Given Wells some support.. Fam takes the heat off him

Taken the shackles off - easily could have gone more defensive away from home, but went front foot by keeping Pato and Weimann in the middle with Smith

Restored Pato to the role of chief creator. (Fascinating to see what Holden can get out of Palmer). 

Genuine question for someone because I’m not sure what the answer is.

When Cotterill played 3-5-2 in the Championship, after ripping up League One using it with largely the same team, I recall he was criticised - and the common consensus at the time was that you couldn’t play 3-5-2 in the Championship.

What’s changed? Has the division evolved? Is it simply that we have a better squad now? Why couldn’t we get it to work then - when clearly the players at the time were well equipped for it, having used it so successfully in L1 - when it seems we can now?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

When Cotterill played 3-5-2 in the Championship, after ripping up League One using it with largely the same team, I recall he was criticised - and the common consensus at the time was that you couldn’t play 3-5-2 in the Championship.

What’s changed? Has the division evolved? Is it simply that we have a better squad now? Why couldn’t we get it to work then - when clearly the players at the time were well equipped for it, having used it so successfully in L1 - when it seems we can now?

Its not that you can't play 352, its that the style we were playing it under Cotts ripped up league 1 but didn't lend itself to the championship, we play a different style of 352 both under LJ and with Holden.

1. Not LJ

2. 352

3. Hull and Boro

4. Kept it simple 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not sure 352 is out of place In the championship it was more of a case of poor momentum combined with a very average championship squad.

He dont play COD. I wrote after the SW game If our new manager would play COD, LJ hadnt been sacked then. Two last games we have had better fluid. Movement, more direct passes,  more creative, the players have fun when they play. Happy to see that our team can play good football and win. Blackburn, SW and Cardiff game I was not angry, I was sad. The joy seems to have returned to the team, think Holden is the man that done it.

46 minutes ago, Fuber said:

It's worth noting we've played teams (Hull also) who, despite "fighting for their lives", have been lacklustre at best.

If Boro showed some bottle in the first half and played like they did in the second a draw could have been on the cards.

Bigger test will be the teams in and around us.

True, but it was good to see us dominate a team from the lower reaches. Remember Luton, Charlton and Huddersfield - truly clueless performances in very winnable games.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You need fit and mobile players to play 3-5-2. Wing backs need big engines. Hunt is a purpose built for 3-5-2. 

If memory serves Joe Bryan was just becoming a regular and Hunt is a big upgrade on Mark Little. 

Also I think because SC inflexibility meant other teams could match up with us and I remember our midfield getting bullied at times. 

58 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

you can, but lots of different factors.  I always felt Freeman would’ve been better on the left of the midfield 3 (532) rather than as the no10 (5212).  It exposed Pack and Smith.  Litts (after Fredericks went) was not fit from his shoulder op, Williams probably wasn’t quite ready at LCB.  So a few reasons.  Liam Moore did his hernia too.

Looking back, on paper...Kalas, Baker and Benkovic are stronger than Ayling, Flint and Williams as a 3.  I know Baker replaced Williams, but then Williams started playing LWB as Bryan’s confidence departed.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I never really cared that much about LJ post match interviews. But now I realise maybe I should have taken such things more seriously.

Holden had us playing great football, great pressing and intensity. Defended very well against a very physical direct side. 

No doubt he wants the job. Desperately would want the owner to see how he did such a great job today in getting the club 3 points.

What does he say post match? Not much. Just says about how well players played. Nothing about himself and how he did all these clever things in getting 3 points and looking so impressive.

I can't imagine LJ being like that in such a situation. And I can't imagine Holden blaming players when we lose a game like LJ often did.

I never really thought it mattered that much but I'm not sure all the players like LJ and seem far more positive since he has gone. Saying the wrong things in post match interviews would not help in that.

Dean Holden is one of football’s nice guys.  I have had the pleasure of chatting to him at length a few times, about football, about life, about kids etc.  He’s just very genuine.  It didn’t surprise me he gave the credit to the players and played it down.  He doesn’t make it about him.  Really pleased for him.  At the end of the day his own job is in the balance.

Just to add, around the half hour mark today, Boro were building a bit of a head of steam up from aerial balls into our box and we were just struggling to get the ball down and get back to passing again.

I’ve no idea who changed it, but Nahki Wells dropped back into midfield for 5 minutes or so, making us 541.  We weathered the storm....but in the past I’ve not seen little tweaks like that, and someone taking ownership for the pressure were under.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dean Holden is one of football’s nice guys.  I have had the pleasure of chatting to him at length a few times, about football, about life, about kids etc.  He’s just very genuine.  It didn’t surprise me he gave the credit to the players and played it down.  He doesn’t make it about him.  Really pleased for him.  At the end of the day his own job is in the balance.

Noticeable as well in that clip when he talks about the Stoke game and makes mention of knowing their threats, but that he wants to focus on our game and what we do, as opposed to worrying about them.

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I actually quite like Holden. Comes across as sensible, no nonsense and doesn’t over think things. I remember his calmness when we scored that winners against Man U....just screamed professional to me. Can well imagine him keeping people grounded during a crisis 

but let’s not forget he ran out of ideas to. Not just LJ 

I get your point but we don't really know that his ideas would have been listened to by LJ.

Personally I would like to see the guy kept on in some coaching capacity.

36 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Noticeable as well in that clip when he talks about the Stoke game and makes mention of knowing their threats, but that he wants to focus on our game and what we do, as opposed to worrying about them.

Yep, felt very deliberate towards LJ

12 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I get your point but we don't really know that his ideas would have been listened to by LJ.

Personally I would like to see the guy kept on in some coaching capacity.

Agree. In fact the only evidence of his own ideas being used is the immediate change post LJ when he selected a back 5 with Pato centrally. So quite the opposite of him running out of ideas - he has used his ideas and got us winning again. I too hope he stays as a coach.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have seen something that can be built upon. It is only 2 games but my point is if he keeps this up till the end of the season, and thats only if he does, then it might be hard to not give him the job.

If he is winning games and playing football we want to see then it will be hard to bring in someone that we don't know what they will do.

We bring in Houghton and he won't go with what Holden does.

I'm not saying Houghton won't succeed. But then again he might fail with what he has to work with and we might regret not keeping Holden on.

Lets see how he does till the end of the season. I bet people will change their minds on it if he does very well after an impressive start.

The fact that you have called him 'Houghton' along with so many people on here shows that you really dont know anything about football.. so please just go away.?

Archived