IGNORED

What Dean Holden has done well

eric04

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

A season caretakers job ? Sorry, stopped reading your post after this sentence 

funnily enough, I don't think you read the first sentence either.    I didn't say a caretaker role, I mentioned a one year contract.  Many managers have a one year rolling contract.  It just gives a mutual break clause and is usually extended from year to year.  LJ was an exception in being given a four year contract and that was a mistake.

It would be a brave decision to appoint Dean as there is an understandable clamour to appoint a big name like Steven Gerrard.   The last time Steve Lansdown intervened to get a big name he went for David James so, astute business man that he is, I don't think SL picks players or managers very well.

I don't think SG would work out.  Even Frank Lampard didn't set the championship alight with Derby despite supposedly having an off the scale high IQ and plenty of funds to play with.   As a few have pointed out, the best players often don't make the best managers. Even Rooney has managerial ambitions and I can't see him succeeding either but many fans from a lot of clubs would get excited by his appointment.

Strange thought it sounds, I'd be excited to see DH given a chance.

19 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

The last two games have been good but firstly, we’ve beaten two teams who have had a car crash of a season 

secondly, the new manager bounce won’t last long. It rarely does 

I actually quite like Holden. Comes across as sensible, no nonsense and doesn’t over think things. I remember his calmness when we scored that winners against Man U....just screamed professional to me. Can well imagine him keeping people grounded during a crisis 

but let’s not forget he ran out of ideas to. Not just LJ 

Did he run out of ideas though, perhaps LJ just choose to ignore him.

I recently posted that if Bolton were to offer Dean their managers job he should accept it, because he was likely to get sacked along with LJ and Macca,

I said that with a heavy heart really because Dean is a really nice bloke, my mate and i often see the team bus arrive at away games and Dean always comes over to talk to us when we catch his eye, and actually bought us a drink in the Harvester at Bolton after one game there.

He has made a difference to our performances in the 2 games so far which hopefully will continue in the next 3 games and who knows could lead to an extension of our season. If this happens it may not get him the job at AG but could lead to a managers job somewhere else, so good luck to the guy.

36 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

funnily enough, I don't think you read the first sentence either.    I didn't say a caretaker role, I mentioned a one year contract.  Many managers have a one year rolling contract.  It just gives a mutual break clause and is usually extended from year to year.  LJ was an exception in being given a four year contract and that was a mistake.

It would be a brave decision to appoint Dean as there is an understandable clamour to appoint a big name like Steven Gerrard.   The last time Steve Lansdown intervened to get a big name he went for David James so, astute business man that he is, I don't think SL picks players or managers very well.

I don't think SG would work out.  Even Frank Lampard didn't set the championship alight with Derby despite supposedly having an off the scale high IQ and plenty of funds to play with.   As a few have pointed out, the best players often don't make the best managers. Even Rooney has managerial ambitions and I can't see him succeeding either but many fans from a lot of clubs would get excited by his appointment.

Strange thought it sounds, I'd be excited to see DH given a chance.

But it’s a far cry from being in charge for a couple of  games with nothing to lose , to being under pressure to get us promoted. Let’s not forget . Other managers have very little idea how to counteract his tactics if they don’t know what he’s going to do. Ok, they can see he’s going to play 352 but not much else. It could well be completely different after 15-20 games. Nothing against Dean and hope he stays with the club in a coaching capacity , but we need a experienced championship manager imo 

10 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Did notice that when pato scored the second goal, we had 6 players, including Paterson, inside the 18 yard box. Can't recall that happening to many times recently, except on attacking set pieces. 

The effort to get there was impressive.  Fam was 20 yards behind but ended up in the box.  Intensity, desire.  Lovely.

17 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Did notice that when pato scored the second goal, we had 6 players, including Paterson, inside the 18 yard box. Can't recall that happening to many times recently, except on attacking set pieces. 

I was having a browse of the Boro forum last night and someone posted a screenshot of that goal, highlighting how many we had in the box and bemoaning that their side don't do it enough.

I did feel like registering to point out that it's not normal for us!

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Shocking to hear someone advocating other people losing their jobs, especially someone who has worked hard for the club and who is generally agreed to be a good guy.  You have no real idea if he was part of the problem, but don’t just randomly call for people to be sacked.

A lot of clubs start with a clean slate . I thought that’s what we would do . Pretty sure they know the pitfalls of the football industry . I take it you thought LJ should still be in a job ?

12 hours ago, shelts said:

A lot of clubs start with a clean slate . I thought that’s what we would do . Pretty sure they know the pitfalls of the football industry . I take it you thought LJ should still be in a job ?

No, I thought LJ had to go, but I don’t think that his back room staff should automatically follow him.  In what other business does everyone else get sacked if the manager goes?  

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No, I thought LJ had to go, but I don’t think that his back room staff should automatically follow him.  In what other business does everyone else get sacked if the manager goes?  

Fair point 

On 12/07/2020 at 13:00, bcfcnick said:

I am beginning to hope that Dean is given a season to see how he gets on.

Early signs are that he is a very good man manager.   Given the chance  to make decisions he has also shown that he is tactically astute.

He plays players in their best positions, gives them freedom to enjoy their football and sticks to a formation that suits the squad and doesn't over complicate the game. I also think he has taken away the fear factor.  I get the impression that, unlike Lee, he is focusing on us as a team rather than an over emphasis on the problems the opposition might cause.

Yes, it's early days but, from what I've seen, the change goes beyond a honeymoon period and is down to specific things Holden has implemented. 

Playing three at the back is ideal for City's squad.  So many goals from set pieces were conceded because, whilst our full-backs are decent going forward, they are small and lightweight in a physical league.  From having a non-existent midfield he has set up in a way that protects the defence and feeds what is a high quality frontline.

He's playing to players strengths and so many players are showing they are good footballers.  Benkovic, Baker & Kallas always made a very strong defence on paper but only now under Holden are they showing it on the pitch.  Weimann has been transformed from industrious headless chicken to a productive high energy creative midfielder.  Diedhiou and Wells look like they could be one of the best goal scoring partnerships in the division.  

This squad has always looked to have the ability to do well and a new manager would probably mean a lot of transfers out and an influx of new players who would take time to gel.  Some of our best players with expiring contracts such as Diedhiou might be tempted to stay under DH.

The key for me is for City to compete for the play-offs, but above all to play attacking decent football. It looks like Dean favours that style rather than the turgid football that has been on display for the last couple of seasons. He ticks a lot of boxes for me regardless of what happens in the final games.  Yes, it's early days, but I like what I have seen from Dean Holden. 

All very logical points in favor of Dean Holden for manager.

However well he's done with two matches, he's a novice and we are looking, I hope, for a proven, promotion winning, manager to get us to the Premier League.

I've seen mentioned a few times in this post that we've only won against a couple of clubs that are struggling. That may be the case but how many times have we come unstuck against the "struggling" sides, too many to mention I fear. What DH has done is to lift a struggling side into believing again & lifted the moral of the playing group. If it continues I would have no problem in him taking his chances, after all most coaches/managers have been assistants in various leagues at some stage & if we don't land the bigger names mentioned we will probably take on someone from the lower leagues that has no championship experience.

If it becomes a choice between DH (only if the improvement continues) or someone with no experience at championship level, then I'd take DH.

Just off to get my hard hat !!! :gasmask: 

He’s looked at our squad, the strengths and weaknesses and decided we’re strong at centre back and forwards, weak in midfield. Hence 3-5-2 makes complete sense.

He’s used others with knowledge, experience to advise him, Williams’, Tin’s got them watching from up in the stands. Always thought that was a useful and much under-used perspective on match play.

Fundamentally, he’s keeping it simple, plays players in positions their comfortable, unleashed the chains, and got them playing with a smile with their mates.

Suddenly, we have a team again.

Bravo. 

Middlesborough given their league position looked an easy game. However giving that they are in a relegation fight and who their manager is takes away that it was not really an easy game. 
Playing teams like Reading, QPR and even Sheff Wednesday who are just seeing the season out could be classed as easy games. 
Luckily  Hull are in free fall and on form was one place below us. If we didn’t beat them then I suspect we would of gone into Boro completely different with changes in the team and set up. Winning that one and living on the age old philosophy of not changing a winning side gave confidence to the players going into the game at Boro. 
Stoke I expect to get 3 points but feel the challenge after that game to be completely different and could then start to see how we deal with pressure. 
This is why I prefer the championship every game is a battle rather than a battering that we would get in the Prem. Even though Wolves and Sheff Utd are now showing times could be changing. 

Do I think he should be retained as HC, that’s a no from me as we’ve been in this position before. Dealing with players not playing, hiring and selling is not really applicable in these 2 games to assess his ability to manage. 

What Holden has done well is find a system that suits us. Keeps us fairly solid at the back (we were leaking goals like there was no tomorrow before LJ was sacked) and hasn't been afraid to drop players like Williams and O'Dowda. 

Yes he's faced Hull and Middlesborough who are both fitting relegation and with Swansea and Preston he will be tested more thoroughly but our performances have been better because we're using our strengths. 

Should he be appointed full time? No is the simple answer but I do think he should be retained in the new coaching setup. 

It will become more of a challenge in the next  few games because sides will have done their diligence and will be preparing to face us in our current set up.  I will be interested to see how we cope against a side playing a narrow 4.  Hull were very open against us and we matched up against Boro.  A Preston type side may cause a lot more problems if they dominate the ball. 

What he's done well is simple.  Given players belief and confidence, not been a vindictive **** that holds grudges, not had an over inflated ego, listened to people and most important of all - dismissed all of the shite served by the previous ******** who held all of the aforementioned qualities.  Onwards.... ?

16 minutes ago, The Major said:

What he's done well is simple.  Given players belief and confidence, not been a vindictive **** that holds grudges, not had an over inflated ego, listened to people and most important of all - dismissed all of the shite served by the previous ******** who held all of the aforementioned qualities.  Onwards.... ?

Woah pipe down Taylor Moore! :whistle2:

Archived