What Dean Holden has done well

I never really cared that much about LJ post match interviews. But now I realise maybe I should have taken such things more seriously.

Holden had us playing great football, great pressing and intensity. Defended very well against a very physical direct side. 

No doubt he wants the job. Desperately would want the owner to see how he did such a great job today in getting the club 3 points.

What does he say post match? Not much. Just says about how well players played. Nothing about himself and how he did all these clever things in getting 3 points and looking so impressive.

I can't imagine LJ being like that in such a situation. And I can't imagine Holden blaming players when we lose a game like LJ often did.

I never really thought it mattered that much but I'm not sure all the players like LJ and seem far more positive since he has gone. Saying the wrong things in post match interviews would not help in that.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I never really cared that much about LJ post match interviews. But now I realise maybe I should have taken such things more seriously.

Holden had us playing great football, great pressing and intensity. Defended very well against a very physical direct side. 

No doubt he wants the job. Desperately would want the owner to see how he did such a great job today in getting the club 3 points.

What does he say post match? Not much. Just says about how well players played. Nothing about himself and how he did all these clever things in getting 3 points and looking so impressive.

I can't imagine LJ being like that in such a situation. And I can't imagine Holden blaming players when we lose a game like LJ often did.

I never really thought it mattered that much but I'm not sure all the players like LJ and seem far more positive since he has gone. Saying the wrong things in post match interviews would not help in that.

Dean Holden is one of football’s nice guys.  I have had the pleasure of chatting to him at length a few times, about football, about life, about kids etc.  He’s just very genuine.  It didn’t surprise me he gave the credit to the players and played it down.  He doesn’t make it about him.  Really pleased for him.  At the end of the day his own job is in the balance.

• Like 8

Just to add, around the half hour mark today, Boro were building a bit of a head of steam up from aerial balls into our box and we were just struggling to get the ball down and get back to passing again.

I’ve no idea who changed it, but Nahki Wells dropped back into midfield for 5 minutes or so, making us 541.  We weathered the storm....but in the past I’ve not seen little tweaks like that, and someone taking ownership for the pressure were under.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dean Holden is one of football’s nice guys.  I have had the pleasure of chatting to him at length a few times, about football, about life, about kids etc.  He’s just very genuine.  It didn’t surprise me he gave the credit to the players and played it down.  He doesn’t make it about him.  Really pleased for him.  At the end of the day his own job is in the balance.

Noticeable as well in that clip when he talks about the Stoke game and makes mention of knowing their threats, but that he wants to focus on our game and what we do, as opposed to worrying about them.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I actually quite like Holden. Comes across as sensible, no nonsense and doesn’t over think things. I remember his calmness when we scored that winners against Man U....just screamed professional to me. Can well imagine him keeping people grounded during a crisis 

but let’s not forget he ran out of ideas to. Not just LJ 

I get your point but we don't really know that his ideas would have been listened to by LJ.

Personally I would like to see the guy kept on in some coaching capacity.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Noticeable as well in that clip when he talks about the Stoke game and makes mention of knowing their threats, but that he wants to focus on our game and what we do, as opposed to worrying about them.

Yep, felt very deliberate towards LJ

12 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I get your point but we don't really know that his ideas would have been listened to by LJ.

Personally I would like to see the guy kept on in some coaching capacity.

Agree. In fact the only evidence of his own ideas being used is the immediate change post LJ when he selected a back 5 with Pato centrally. So quite the opposite of him running out of ideas - he has used his ideas and got us winning again. I too hope he stays as a coach.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we have seen something that can be built upon. It is only 2 games but my point is if he keeps this up till the end of the season, and thats only if he does, then it might be hard to not give him the job.

If he is winning games and playing football we want to see then it will be hard to bring in someone that we don't know what they will do.

We bring in Houghton and he won't go with what Holden does.

I'm not saying Houghton won't succeed. But then again he might fail with what he has to work with and we might regret not keeping Holden on.

Lets see how he does till the end of the season. I bet people will change their minds on it if he does very well after an impressive start.

The fact that you have called him 'Houghton' along with so many people on here shows that you really dont know anything about football.. so please just go away.👍

I’ll keep an open mind. So far I’ve been impressed, we’ve got the results, and he’s found a way to hide our weak midfield. He knows the players, knows the set up, and will be fully aware of the financial constraints. Wouldn’t be too disappointed if we went for the continuity option, after all, next season may be very weird. If the boffins are right, expect further disruption and restrictions.

13 hours ago, eric04 said:

Agreed. Simplified the game. That certainly works in the short term. 

He probably actually sat down with the payers last weekend and had a good old chat. Gave them the opportunity to talk at will and express the opportunities in what went well over the last 12 months and what did not go so well. 

Holden is caretaking well even though the last two wins are against teams we would normally expect to perform well but if LJ was with us we would of been lucky to get a draw on each of them.

Holden has probably bought back the players to some basics and encouraged the players to play with a bit more freedom.

No hurry from me in appointing a Gerard or a Houghton at the moment.

What Holden is doing well is largely picking round pegs in round holes, and credit to him for that. 

However, he has a free pass with these games as we have no pressure on us. We’ve been written off. 

Beating two struggling teams proves this squad was underachieving. Let’s see how Holden does against Swansea and Preston before deciding if he’s a proper contender. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, tin said:

What Holden is doing well is largely picking round pegs in round holes, and credit to him for that. 

However, he has a free pass with these games as we have no pressure on us. We’ve been written off. 

Beating two struggling teams proves this squad was underachieving. Let’s see how Holden does against Swansea and Preston before deciding if he’s a proper contender. 

Tin

round pegs in round holes ? No he is simply being open to the team and the team are more relaxed. He does not have a free pass. No one has a free pass. Ok we beat two teams that are struggling. But if LJ as still hear I bet those two teams would have taken some points off of us. I’m simply stating let Holden have a go for the remainder of the matches left. We won the last two. I bet its a long time since that occurred. 

Please dont come back with square pegs in triangle holes, or square pegs in oblong holes as I was not that good at maths at school.

We have been written off? What by you only I think 

The major change is one of attacking intent, playing more quickly through the midfield, and just getting more players forward. Can you remember another game recently when our right (wing) back has had 2 decent chances on goal?

The change to 3 at the back and wing backs suits the defenders we have available, plus in midfield he has picked 2 players who really want to get forward in Paterson and Weimann, so our formation actually looks more like 3-3-2-2. How many “box entries” did that provide? Lots.

Admittedly the last 2 games have been against poor teams down near the bottom of the table, but with LJ in charge that would have been no advantage. He would still have obsessed about how to counter the opposition. Likewise the win over Hull has given the players some confidence. Win again against Stoke and that sets us up nicely for the last 2 games, which will really be a reflection of our progress under Holden.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The major change is one of attacking intent, playing more quickly through the midfield, and just getting more players forward. Can you remember another game recently when our right (wing) back has had 2 decent chances on goal?

The change to 3 at the back and wing backs suits the defenders we have available, plus in midfield he has picked 2 players who really want to get forward in Paterson and Weimann, so our formation actually looks more like 3-3-2-2. How many “box entries” did that provide? Lots.

Admittedly the last 2 games have been against poor teams down near the bottom of the table, but with LJ in charge that would have been no advantage. He would still have obsessed about how to counter the opposition. Likewise the win over Hull has given the players some confidence. Win again against Stoke and that sets us up nicely for the last 2 games, which will really be a reflection of our progress under Holden.

If the unbelievable happens and we do get 9 points out of the remaining 3 left then Holden does have a claim on the top job. The players are now buzzing with confidence and playing in positions freely. Playing football how they love and like with out the pressure.

7 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

Inevitably, considering an assistant for the main job is a dilemma.  Leaving aside Liverpool yesteryear,  has there been a long term success story of this in the top two divisions ?

Thomas Frank at Brentford? Easier for them though as they have a distinct style and method of Recruiting.  

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Thomas Frank at Brentford? Easier for them though as they have a distinct style and method of Recruiting.  

And a distinct style of playing too, which also helps. In LJ-speak, they have an “identity”!

16 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I am seriously thinking we might have to take on Holden. He is doing what i would expect from LJ and that's all I wanted in the first place. High energy, good football and solid enough without the ball.

Not perfect a times today of course, but he's doing very well.

We clearly deserved the win imo and could well have scored a few more.

He’s not under pressure Jon , it’s a free hit effectively . Also , the opposition clubs are not sure what they’re facing tactically so it’s difficult to counter act. It would be completely different if he had the job full time. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s not under pressure Jon , it’s a free hit effectively . Also , the opposition clubs are not sure what they’re facing tactically so it’s difficult to counter act. It would be completely different if he had the job full time. 

I think he is under pressure in that he might well be out of a job soon and wants to prove other clubs as well as our club that he can do a good job as main head coach/manager. 

I know it's very unlikely he will be our head coach but I'm sure he knows if he keeps winning then he might have an outside chance.

Or if he keeps winning then some lower league club might be impressed by him.

They're massive games for him and his future.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, eric04 said:

Picked 3-5-2, our best formation

Kept the same team - players get consistency 

Given Wells some support.. Fam takes the heat off him

Taken the shackles off - easily could have gone more defensive away from home, but went front foot by keeping Pato and Weimann in the middle with Smith

Restored Pato to the role of chief creator. (Fascinating to see what Holden can get out of Palmer). 

Given the players confidence.

Hasn't slagged individuals off.

Hasn't complained about lack of leaders after signing all the players himself.

Hasn’t changed 3/4’s of the team and told players he can’t trust them.

Basically, he’s just doing what a decent person would do to a squad of footballers, something the previous manager was always incapable of doing.    

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think we do recruit players to mainly suit the style we saw yesterday. 

It's just for some reason LJ could not settle with one formation and one set of players. Changing defence every game for example.

10 hours ago, shelts said:

Pretty low bar . Personally I think he was part of the problem including Macca and think both should’ve been sacked with LJ 

Shocking to hear someone advocating other people losing their jobs, especially someone who has worked hard for the club and who is generally agreed to be a good guy.  You have no real idea if he was part of the problem, but don’t just randomly call for people to be sacked.

Picked up six points for the club!  Bloody over the moon with that.

Well done to Deano, the coaching staff, and all the players.

Long may Deano's 100% winning record continue.

Edited by reddogkev
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think he is under pressure in that he might well be out of a job soon and wants to prove other clubs as well as our club that he can do a good job as main head coach/manager. 

I know it's very unlikely he will be our head coach but I'm sure he knows if he keeps winning then he might have an outside chance.

Or if he keeps winning then some lower league club might be impressed by him.

They're massive games for him and his future.

You see it time and again with caretaker managers Jon. The opposition have loads of stats etc of how a team plays and how to counteract it. A new lease of life has come in , in Holden . Ok , the opposition now know were going 352 but are  unsure on tactics + a massive lift in the players confidence and freedom which obviously LJ has stifled for over a year. 
it would be completely different if Dean had the full time managers job and opposition clubs had time to counteract his playing style. As for pressure you say he’s under , well he’s got nothing to lose really . If he loses his job when the new man comes in , other clubs down the football pyramid will see how he’s done with us and perhaps give him a chance . He’s a long way off getting our job imo. 
however , he’s a good forthright bloke and I’d be very happy for him to carry on in a coaching capacity if the new manager is happy with it.