IGNORED

Win the next two

ollywhyte

On 11/07/2020 at 22:53, Sniper said:

We may win the next 3 and still miss out most likely on goal difference, but as long as we keep winning and other results go in our favour the best bit is it may ruin the SAGS next few weeks. They hate it we let LJ go :laugh:

Exactly. I'm not exaggerating, but that's at least fifty thousand 'LJ Must Stay' placards due for landfill. ?

21 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wasnt there like 25 mins injury time in the 1st half, because one of their players broke a leg or something..? 

It was a League Cup 1st  Round, First Leg tie on Tuesday August 22, 2000. Petrol was in short supply due to the blockades. 

I recall that the forth official signalled 15 minutes injury time, that was followed by a further 8 for additional stoppages. Some wag made 'Stretcher Man', 'Man of the Match'.

The best way of looking at it is that if we win our remaining 3 games we are guaranteed to finish above  Blackburn, Preston and Swansea.

We would require Derby to drop points in at least one game - they play Cardiff, Leeds and Birmingham. (Very likely)

We would require Millwall to drop points in at least one game - they play Blackburn, QPR and Huddersfield. (Likely)

We would require Cardiff to pick up a maximum of 5 points from their remaining fixtures - Derby, Boro and Hull. (Unlikely - but a defeat to Derby would really rattle them before they face Warnock!)

It’s not as unlikely as some people think however I keep forgetting the key part...

we need to win all three!

8 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

It was a League Cup 1st  Round, First Leg tie on Tuesday August 22, 2000. Petrol was in short supply due to the blockades. 

I recall that the forth official signalled 15 minutes injury time, that was followed by a further 8 for additional stoppages. Some wag made 'Stretcher Man', 'Man of the Match'.

Ah right.  I thought you were referring to the play offs. 

I went to the league Cup games as well. I think they went to extra time, iirc. 

1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

Pretty sure we will miss out, we are currently 11th, it would take a massive bit of good fortune to finish 5 places higher with 3 games left. 

But at least we have something to play for, which we didn't expect after the Cardiff debacle. 

If we win on Wednesday I would expect us to be 7th.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

I know, you can skew it either way, I appreciate that. My wife at the weekend even said “so basically you just haven’t been good enough for 3 years” and she’s technically right.

However, I always felt that if the squad was good enough to deliver the results it did and get into the positions it did, then essentially all the components must have been there for the playoffs at the very least.

The fact we always slid away didn’t scream of a team continually making progress, more that something wasn’t being fixed.

History now. Hopefully we make better use of the opportunities in the future.

You are right, we’ve had opportunities and not taken them.  We’ve spent 13 games in the top 6 this season....the longest we stayed there was 4 games though.  We have spent 18 games in either 6th or 7th.

I think it proves we have decent players.  Combination of player mentality, head-coach tinkering, who knows really.  But we haven’t kicked on.

I still think Tom Cairney’s 86th minute equaliser in the last game before covid might bite us on the bum ultimately.

49BD0E06-9352-4710-ACD1-F8504048A7B8.thumb.png.9caf6672a8cf710603555877a4627897.png

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ah right.  I thought you were referring to the play offs. 

I went to the league Cup games as well. I think they went to extra time, iirc. 

Rob, I can't believe that next month is the twentieth anniversary of that long, long match. Where the hell has the time gone?

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Carl Asaba? Dislocated his shoulder IIRC and they had to get an ambulance in through the gap in the corner of the Atyeo & Williams on to the pitch.

Archived