IGNORED

Everybody calm down!

Luxo Jr.

Great couple of wins, freedom in play, formerly maligned players performing well and with more energy - both encouraging and also exactly what happens very often when a manager leaves a club. Already seen a lot of comments suggesting Holden should be given the job full-time, or saying that Johnson clearly didn't listen to anything Holden said on the training field. Give over. 

New manager bounce is the reason someone like Pardew has had as long a managerial career as he had. We've had two games against struggling teams, and to be fair we've played good uncomplicated football. The test is when we lose a game, how do we react to that with our new outlook? Until I see us play quite a few more games against better teams, I'll firmly be of the opinion that someone other than Holden should be in charge next season.

So often a manager will be judged by his worst games (normally the final ones) against the first fresh games of a new man. People tend to ignore/forget the long winning streaks we had season after season under Johnson because it doesn't suit their narrative. We wouldn't have improved our league position year upon year if we hadn't won a lot of games. Because we tended to win more games in the first half of the season than the second, fans branded us as bottlers. Don't buy that personally.The football got horrible, yes, and I agree with a comment from the match-thread that suggested we maybe focused more on stats that enjoyable football towards the end. But comments like "There we go, Dean knows what to do with this team" are so short-sighted and have a short-term memory. 

Was it Johnson's time to go - yes, clearly, we finally showed signs of stagnating positionally. Is this refreshing to watch - obviously. Is Holden the man to take us forward - no idea, probably not. But let's just keep calm, enjoy the good football and (probably) look forward to a new manager with new ideas next season - particularly with a group of players proving their worth.

The point of this thread is what exactly? :dunno:

Other than an opportunity for me to use a couple of @Robbored emojis?

Is this yet another attempt to rehabilitate the reputation of a manager we no longer have? :cool2:

Personally I'm excited by a brighter future after a couple of wasted years. :banana:

Just now, Red Exile said:

The point of this thread is what exactly? :dunno:

Other than an opportunity for me to use a couple of @Robbored emojis?

Or is this yet another attempt to rehabilitate the reputation of a manager we no longer have? :cool2:

Personally I'm excited by a brighter future after a couple of wasted years. :banana:

No, it’s an attempt to put the reputation of the manager we currently have into perspective.

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yep Calm down! excitement is bad for you!

I said we can enjoy it, please read beyond the title. I just wanted to respond to everyone jumping on the Holden bandwagon already. It’s been TWO GAMES against relegation candidates.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

No, it’s an attempt to put the reputation of the manager we currently have into perspective.

I said we can enjoy it, please read beyond the title. I just wanted to respond to everyone jumping on the Holden bandwagon already. It’s been TWO GAMES against relegation candidates.

fair enough - I was enjoying using the emojis! 

I don't think Dean Holden should be given the job. But I do think he's brightened things up. We have some excellent players, their excellence has more often been seen away from home. The previous manager didn't get the best out them...for whatever reason. 

COYR and all that.

Just now, Red Exile said:

fair enough - I was enjoying using the emojis! 

I don't think Dean Holden should be given the job. But I do think he's brightened things up. We have some excellent players, their excellence has more often been seen away from home. The previous manager didn't get the best out them...for whatever reason. 

COYR and all that.

I agree with all of that. To be clear, writing a long post about how we should keep calm is how I enjoy things.

I agree to an extent with the OP. We have too many fans that will be jizzing all over these 2 wins and calling for Holden take charge and we deserve to be promoted bollox.

I think we need to keep our heads and focus on the bigger picture. Clearly Johnson's time was over (correct decision from the board to fire him) but we've played 2 poor sides lets not forget (we'd probably have lost them if Lee was in charge which is why it was right for hom to go).

Personally I'm not co convinced Holden should take over. We should be looking for someone that can manage with more experience in the championship and with a groups of players that aren't on a manager rebound. When the preasures off, that's when we'll see the mentality and quality of players we have.

P.S. God forbid, but how long before someone questions the players attitude/mentality during these last few weeks (re delivering on the pitch)

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Really? Saw it all over the match thread. And not in an ironic way.

Don’t think it was all over the thread. I posted that surely he will get the job if he wins all his games.  Slightly tongue in cheek but he has to be in with a chance if he manages to achieve that. That’s not calling for it to happen. Maybe he deserves a season... 

None of us know if he would be good or not.  And the failings of Keith Millen shouldn’t count against Dean Holden

Just to reiterate again I have not said he should get the job!  It’s merely something to debate and consider 

Calm down my arse. I've just watched an entertaining football match involving my team, something I haven't witnessed for a while. I've watched my team play with belief and with a smile on their faces. I've watched talented players playing in their preferred positions and performing well, both as individuals and as a team.Oh and to top it off we one and have collected another 3 points. Even Mrs City_USA has has noticed a change in mood for the start of the weekend.Do I think that there's room for improvement? Absolutely but I for one am going to enjoy this!

Only two poor teams fighting relegation? Well I seem to remember getting stuffed at Luton and Huddersfield.

I dont want Holden to get the job, but I will raise a pint to him tonight as that was night and day compared to the shit we've had to endure for quite some time now.

3 positive points from me (and the team ?) re Deano:

1. He’s given himself a chance of being in a coaching role of the new manager
  2. He’s put himself in the shop window for manager / coaching roles eksewhere
  3. He’s shown that this group of players ain’t that bad, and therefore makes City look more attractive to prospective managers

Good job done Deano.

I think we’ll know the new manager ahead of Stoke.  Not saying they will be in place, just announced.

54 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Great couple of wins, freedom in play, formerly maligned players performing well and with more energy - both encouraging and also exactly what happens very often when a manager leaves a club. Already seen a lot of comments suggesting Holden should be given the job full-time, or saying that Johnson clearly didn't listen to anything Holden said on the training field. Give over. 

New manager bounce is the reason someone like Pardew has had as long a managerial career as he had. We've had two games against struggling teams, and to be fair we've played good uncomplicated football. The test is when we lose a game, how do we react to that with our new outlook? Until I see us play quite a few more games against better teams, I'll firmly be of the opinion that someone other than Holden should be in charge next season.

So often a manager will be judged by his worst games (normally the final ones) against the first fresh games of a new man. People tend to ignore/forget the long winning streaks we had season after season under Johnson because it doesn't suit their narrative. We wouldn't have improved our league position year upon year if we hadn't won a lot of games. Because we tended to win more games in the first half of the season than the second, fans branded us as bottlers. Don't buy that personally.The football got horrible, yes, and I agree with a comment from the match-thread that suggested we maybe focused more on stats that enjoyable football towards the end. But comments like "There we go, Dean knows what to do with this team" are so short-sighted and have a short-term memory. 

Was it Johnson's time to go - yes, clearly, we finally showed signs of stagnating positionally. Is this refreshing to watch - obviously. Is Holden the man to take us forward - no idea, probably not. But let's just keep calm, enjoy the good football and (probably) look forward to a new manager with new ideas next season - particularly with a group of players proving their worth.

Its what happens when you play players in their correct position and don't over complcate things by telling to look for the pass instead of shoot,

The better performances was always going to happen because Dean isn't playing a striker on the left wing or having two small players in the centre of midfield or a right back on the left wing,

Johnson did a good job and improved the club but you could see even when we were third that he had run out of fresh ideas and should of been released from his contract earlier 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

3. He’s shown that this group of players ain’t that bad, and therefore makes City look more attractive to prospective managers

Good job done Deano.

I think we’ll know the new manager ahead of Stoke.  Not saying they will be in place, just announced.

Anything in particular make you think this Dave or just a hunch? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Good job done Deano.

The new man will almost certainly bring his own assistants with him so when the new man takes over Deano and Macca will be out of a job. 

If/when LJ gets another job then those two will almost certainly join him.

Your third point is an excellent one but does highlight that LJ was able to get  the best out of the squad - it’s been a pretty good squad all along but not managed very well.

I’d be surprised if City do announce the new man before Stoke......but you never know.

8 minutes ago, warbie_118 said:

Think the point is why can’t we all enjoy the last 2 wins without bashing the former manager at every opportunity. Getting very boring and obsessive now

Where has the Former Manager been bashed this afternoon? You are imagining things I think.

Saying that you enjoyed the win and the performance for the first time in a long time is not bashing anyone.

Holden's done well and got the team playing with confidence but we've had our fingers burned in the past when promoting caretakers to full time and I very much doubt he will be in the frame.

I think what the last two games have shown is the value of not chucking the baby out with the bathwater. Some felt Holden and JMc were irrevocably bound with the previous manager and they have shown they can contribute to the coaching.

If the plan is to achieve continuity and consistency, I very much hope both will be kept within roles in the new coaching set-up. However I'd still rather that was supporting a new manager. 

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The new man will almost certainly bring his own assistants with him so when the new man takes over Deano and Macca will be out of a job.

Probably right, but football works in weird ways, and who knows links between people in the incestuous world of football. For example, I’d forgotten Deano and Pato had played together at Walsall.  Maybe he knew how to get a tune out of him.

If/when LJ gets another job then those two will almost certainly join him.

possibly, lots of variables, Holden touted for Bolton job, these games might give him the taste of going his own way in future.

Your third point is an excellent one but does highlight that LJ was able to get  the best out of the squad - it’s been a pretty good squad all along but not managed very well.

I’d be surprised if City do announce the new man before Stoke......but you never know.

They started interviewing this week, so things can happen at pace.

1 hour ago, City_USA said:

Calm down my arse. I've just watched an entertaining football match involving my team, something I haven't witnessed for a while. I've watched my team play with belief and with a smile on their faces. I've watched talented players playing in their preferred positions and performing well, both as individuals and as a team.Oh and to top it off we one and have collected another 3 points. Even Mrs City_USA has has noticed a change in mood for the start of the weekend.Do I think that there's room for improvement? Absolutely but I for one am going to enjoy this!

I said you could enjoy it, don't worry. :) I just meant calm down in relation to people hailing Holden as a Messianic figure. If enjoying this means you're not calm, go for it.

58 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Its what happens when you play players in their correct position and don't over complcate things by telling to look for the pass instead of shoot,

The better performances was always going to happen because Dean isn't playing a striker on the left wing or having two small players in the centre of midfield or a right back on the left wing,

Johnson did a good job and improved the club but you could see even when we were third that he had run out of fresh ideas and should of been released from his contract earlier 

Yeah I can't argue with that really. By the end he really was doing things that I didn't understand. 

It's also a lot to do with the psychology of it too though, I'm sure you agree, along with playing fairly poor teams.

2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Did we not have a record breaking winless streak a year or two back? and does questioning LJ`s very erratic tenure not suit your narrative?  why fans arent "allowed" to have opinions on LJ in this particular thread?

You have set out your opinions in 4 paragraphs but seem only to want to hear views that match yours.

Archived