IGNORED

Everybody calm down!

Luxo Jr.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Did we not have a record breaking winless streak a year or two back? and does questioning LJ`s very erratic tenure not suit your narrative?  why fans arent "allowed" to have opinions on LJ in this particular thread?

You have set out your opinions in 4 paragraphs but seem only to want to hear views that match yours.

1. People are allowed to have opinions on Johnson, of course. I asked for people not to just insult him without adding to the conversation.

2. We did have a long winless streak, which is talked about at length constantly. The fact that in the same season we also won a great number of games is mentioned far less often.

3. Erratic is a fair way to describe it, but it was mostly reactionary tactics. It angered fans a lot, and was his undoing in the end, but also worked a lot, hence why we kept finishing higher in the table every season. When that stopped happening, it was time to go.

4. I'm not trying to be a Johnson apologist, I'm just trying to give the reasons why jumping on the Holden bandwagon based on 2 good games would be a bit foolhardy, while also trying to stay away from LJ bashing, because I'm bored of it.

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

What we need is a total clear out. Wells can stay and so can Bentley but the rest are not good enough for a team pushing for promotion. And who is going to pay for this? Steve Lansdown. He need to learn a lesson.  

How odd you think Bentley deserves to stay when he could be easily replaced 

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Something your hero struggled to do though ?

My hero?................ :rofl2br:

Unfortunately LJs style of management and play became just the same as his fathers. Too dreary, dull and pedestrian and falling out with the players....................:facepalm:

13 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

What we need is a total clear out. Wells can stay and so can Bentley but the rest are not good enough for a team pushing for promotion. And who is going to pay for this? Steve Lansdown. He need to learn a lesson.  

I know it’s been said many, many times before, but you are a strange chap. You adopt a team miles from home and in a completely different country, yet I have rarely, if ever, seen you say anything good about the club. Surely it would be cheaper and easier to do that with a local club?

• The title was changed to Everybody calm down!
13 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

No, it’s an attempt to put the reputation of the manager we currently have into perspective.

I said we can enjoy it, please read beyond the title. I just wanted to respond to everyone jumping on the Holden bandwagon already. It’s been TWO GAMES against relegation candidates.

On our pre-Holden form we were relegation candidates.

What is impressive is the way we’ve gone about winning those two games , energy , creativity , courage , press, stunning goals , bodies on the line in defence,  it’s like we see what we all suspected was there , à talented squad who should be playing this joyful football and threatening the top six . 

We could all see that LJ had over complicated the game and seemed at a loss how to get the best out of the best players in recent times to grace the pitch in a City shirt .

Know we all know that a couple of swallows don’t make a summer so we will be attentive to the club’s next move. Holden is doing his prospects no harm at all but there are potentially better candidates out there for us .

Once again , for me an important part of the job is attracting and managing top quality players who buy into the club’s ethic is Dean Holden more likely to have that respect than Hughton for example ? 

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know it’s been said many, many times before, but you are a strange chap. You adopt a team miles from home and in a completely different country, yet I have rarely, if ever, seen you say anything good about the club. Surely it would be cheaper and easier to do that with a local club?

Leave it out. Tommy is a much loved legend !!

13 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

If he gets us into the playoffs and then promoted he can have the job. Seems fair

Of course it's 'fair'....if he was to do that give him the England job on a par time basis too. I said when he was 'appointed' that he could get the job....thing is it would not be 'sexy' enough for this forum, not with charismatic Stevie G and Mr nice guy SH in the frame. He understands the concept of what SL is after, and he has delivered two good results, and by the look of the players they are enjoying their football.

The shackles are off?   

I very much doubt Holden wants the job here of head coach. He has always struck me as the most sensible of the three, the one who actually thinks before opening his mouth, and he will no doubt be aware that if he stays he will be tarred with the LJ brush. He also seems inwardly confident enough to stand on his own feet, which is no doubt why he has been made temporary head coach, rather than as part of a pair. His decisions with regards to team selection and more importantly allowing a greater freedom of play seems to suggest that he knows, and probably has known for a long time, LJ’s failings. I expect that he now wants to stand on his own feet, perhaps at Bolton, whom I believe he played for. If he stays here, he knows, I expect, that a few losses in a row and the streaky Lee tag may stick to him too. Having seen the criticism, justified in my opinion, that LJ has received from fans like myself, he knows that if he stays here then that shadow will fall over him far quicker than if he starts afresh elsewhere, due to the excessive length of LJ’s time here.   

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately LJs style of management and play became just the same as his fathers. Too dreary, dull and pedestrian and falling out with the players....................:facepalm:

Some of us saw it 4 years ago, he should never of been given the job in the first place. Like father like son, neither can handle players that have done more in the game than themselves.

It's absolutely fine to get excited about yesterday's game, it was a good performance, but it's done now and we move to the next. We should beat Stoke (should being the operative word) and then we have real tests against Swansea and Preston so let's not get to carried away yet. Holden certainly needs to do a lot more than put out teams to beat poor Hull and Boro sides to convince me he could be our next manager/head coach. For all I know he could be streaky too. I can just imagine it, he wins the last 3 games and we appoint him head coach. He wins the first 3 games of the new season but loses the next 8, wins the next 3 but only takes 2 points from the next 15 and so on. 

3 hours ago, Bobfish said:

I very much doubt Holden wants the job here of head coach. He has always struck me as the most sensible of the three, the one who actually thinks before opening his mouth, and he will no doubt be aware that if he stays he will be tarred with the LJ brush. He also seems inwardly confident enough to stand on his own feet, which is no doubt why he has been made temporary head coach, rather than as part of a pair. His decisions with regards to team selection and more importantly allowing a greater freedom of play seems to suggest that he knows, and probably has known for a long time, LJ’s failings. I expect that he now wants to stand on his own feet, perhaps at Bolton, whom I believe he played for. If he stays here, he knows, I expect, that a few losses in a row and the streaky Lee tag may stick to him too. Having seen the criticism, justified in my opinion, that LJ has received from fans like myself, he knows that if he stays here then that shadow will fall over him far quicker than if he starts afresh elsewhere, due to the excessive length of LJ’s time here.   

Touted for Bolton job, but they’ve just appointed Ian Evatt (Barrow manager).

4 hours ago, Blackbird1 said:

Of course it's 'fair'....if he was to do that give him the England job on a par time basis too. I said when he was 'appointed' that he could get the job....thing is it would not be 'sexy' enough for this forum, not with charismatic Stevie G and Mr nice guy SH in the frame. He understands the concept of what SL is after, and he has delivered two good results, and by the look of the players they are enjoying their football.

The shackles are off?   

Err that was my point. I don’t want Holden as manager so I’ve set him an impossible target to achieve.

Perhaps he is the next messiah but perhaps not and I’d rather appoint on the basis of the best person available rather than the guy who’s been in the seat by default for 2 games. 

Having said that if he’s appointed he would have my full support

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

You obviously have a physiological  issue regarding GJ. You really need to let it go as you’re mentioning him nearly every post lately . I know he beat you up in his office but please , for your own mental welfare , seek help 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You obviously have a physiological  issue regarding GJ. You really need to let it go as you’re mentioning him nearly every post lately . I know he beat you up in his office but please , for your own mental welfare , seek help 

There’s definitely a link Stevie. Father influencing sons football career and then his managerial career.........:dunno:

Thankfully both are longer involved at AG. 

Just now, Robbored said:

There’s definitely a link Stevie. Father influencing sons football career and then his managerial career.........:dunno:

I definitely think GJ has influenced lee unhealthily in management . We went from playing attacking exciting football to Gary Johnson football almost overnight . Just my opinion though 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I definitely think GJ has influenced lee unhealthily in management . We went from playing attacking exciting football to Gary Johnson football almost overnight . Just my opinion though 

Absolutely right Stevie and yet you accuse me of having ‘psychological problems’.........and yet you agree with me................:dunno:

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

At the moment.  I can't believe we've seen the last of them at AG.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lee is having a  little break in Guernsey right now?️‍♂️

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

At the moment.  I can't believe we've seen the last of them at AG.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lee is having a  little break in Guernsey right now?️‍♂️

The year is 2045, and Lee Johnson's daughter becomes Bristol City's first female manager, replacing 96 year old Neil Warnock after he finally decides to retire.

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Some of us saw it 4 years ago, he should never of been given the job in the first place. Like father like son, neither can handle players that have done more in the game than themselves.

Rubbish, we are a much better club thanks to him then before we appointed him,

He just isn't the guy to get us into the prem, he came in established us as a championship club and rightly got sacked,

The last manager to do this was his dad, and before that joe Jordan I think,

3 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Err that was my point. I don’t want Holden as manager so I’ve set him an impossible target to achieve.

Perhaps he is the next messiah but perhaps not and I’d rather appoint on the basis of the best person available rather than the guy who’s been in the seat by default for 2 games. 

Having said that if he’s appointed he would have my full support

But if he managed the next three wins, and not playoffs, would you still want him?

I think I would.

3 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

But if he managed the next three wins, and not playoffs, would you still want him?

I think I would.

I think we should try not to get carried away with short term improvements in a honeymoon period. How many times have we done similar before? 
Not saying he won’t be a good manager in the future but he needs to be the best candidate to get the job, not just the bloke who’s nearest

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Touted for Bolton job, but they’ve just appointed Ian Evatt (Barrow manager).

Ah my bad, didn't realise. Hopefully someone will give him the position as number one, as if he has had his ideas ignored by LJ, which the changes he has made since taking the helm could suggest, then I doubt he wants to play second fiddle again. Hopefully he can do well for us and for his C.V. until the new guy arrives then get a job in one of the leagues below.

I'm sure he has learnt a lot during his time here, a bit of what works and a lot more of what doesn't.

Plus it would be nice for him to manage a team that takes six points from the gas.

Enjoying the podcast by the way.

The title of this thread ‘Everybody calm down’ made me chuckle bearing in mind I’m reading on here that we’re going to make the play offs having just appointed Steven Gerrard as manager! Mind you I am now hearing ‘calm down’ in a scouse accent so it must be true! 

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

I think we should try not to get carried away with short term improvements in a honeymoon period. How many times have we done similar before? 
Not saying he won’t be a good manager in the future but he needs to be the best candidate to get the job, not just the bloke who’s nearest

I see where you are coming from, and very often you get the 'dead cat bounce', but we don't want to let what could be a great appointment pass us by, nothing from Dean Holden to say he wants to throw is hat in the ring I suppose, which is testament to the nature of the man. Nothing  wrong with  a down to earth type, better than a 'poppinjay' type, as was out last incumbent. ?.

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Rubbish, we are a much better club thanks to him then before we appointed him,

He just isn't the guy to get us into the prem, he came in established us as a championship club and rightly got sacked,

The last manager to do this was his dad, and before that joe Jordan I think,

I disagree, literally any manager given the backing that he’s had, would have had no problem with establishing us in this league. The majority of managers would have spent more wisely, bought quality instead of quantity, decided on a style of football, a consistent formation, and possibly some entertainment!

He had a one good three month period, the rest of the time it was par or below considering the players he had at his disposal. He told everyone to judge him after 3-4 transfer windows, he was given 8 or 9 and still complained of “lack of leaders” and players he couldn’t trust, this, after he signed them all!.

After four whole years he still did not know which players to play from one week to the next, he recently had a 3 months break to plan for the rest of the season, and dropped 7 players after one game!. 

Tell me one other manager in the current game who would do that though choice, it was farcical. 

Four years ago no other Championship club would have employed him, he was  a novice manager with very little experience, he had no qualifications to make any City fan think he would be our manager, he was employed simply because he had played for the club and was friendly with the owner and his family. 

It would be akin to us now employing mid table league one’s Gillingham’s manager now!

On 11/07/2020 at 18:24, bristolcitysweden said:

Nope, don't bite, nope, nah...

:robbored:

Archived