IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

If he’s on a shortlist with Hughton, Bowyer and Lowe, then that’s not a bad look.

Hughton - experienced, knows how to get out of the league.

Gerrard - big name, contacts.

Bowyer - overachieved at a basket case club.

Lowe - 2 successive promotions with different clubs.

I don’t actually mind that as a shortlist for interview. See who comes out on top after that.

DC184FCC-9929-4D17-92C2-057DE2A06D2D.jpeg

As @Davefevswill be able to verify (though it's up to him if he wants to!) I told him on Thursday, three days ago, that Gerrard had expressed an interest in the City job so to me it is very interesting that this story has been leaked to the Express, that WE want him, and they are not unreliable when it comes to football coverage.

As I expressed on another thread, he is my number 2 choice after Hughton and I'd be very happy with his appointment. 

Joining the dots, it sounds like a very real possibility. I for one, am excited! 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

As @Davefevswill be able to verify (though it's up to him if he wants to!) I told him on Thursday, three days ago, that Gerrard had expressed an interest in the City job so to me it is very interesting that this story has been leaked to the Express, that WE want him, and they are not unreliable when it comes to football coverage.

As I expressed on another thread, he is my number 2 choice after Hughton and I'd be very happy with his appointment. 

Joining the dots, it sounds like a very real possibility. I for one, am excited! 

Same. 

1. Hughton, but wouldn’t be disappointed with Gerrard. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very interesting @Kid in the Riot

I think this might just happen.

Could be exciting. He will attract big name players.

13 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

If he’s on a shortlist with Hughton, Bowyer and Lowe, then that’s not a bad look.

Hughton - experienced, knows how to get out of the league.

Gerrard - big name, contacts.

Bowyer - overachieved at a basket case club.

Lowe - 2 successive promotions with different clubs.

I don’t actually mind that as a shortlist for interview. See who comes out on top after that.

DC184FCC-9929-4D17-92C2-057DE2A06D2D.jpeg

Totally agree, it’s a kinda “cover all bases” list and let the best man win.  You’d think Lowe would be the outsider.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No idea what you’re on about kid ???

Yes, you did indeed ??????

Wouldn’t be my choice but if he was appointed you certainly couldn’t say it was either a cheap option or low profile appointment.

Would prefer Hughton out of those 4 but if he gets it (seeing as he would cost us in compensation & Hughton wouldn’t) it could only be because we thought he was the best man for the job.

I'd be extremely excited by Gerrard. Not the sensible choice but would really lift me out of the Johnson-induced BCFC doldrums.

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I quite fancy it just to annoy all the Rangers fans who are laughing at the idea that “little Bristol City” might be able to poach their manager.

Pure arrogance. Would love it. 

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bloody hope not. Done nothing so far that makes me think he's anything special.

Big name and contacts? Hmm why not just get countless other big names. 

In fact get a big name who is foreign who might know big names In cheap market.

Being a big name makes no difference when there's a decision to be made. Either the manager knows or doesn't know what to do.

I’m not the one to sing a scousers praise at the best of times but being someone who follows the Gers, he’s taken them from being a misfit club who yes may have finished second to a genuine rival for Celtic and with a few different rubs of the green may have even won the title this season, with the budget he’s got and wage bracket he’s got as his disposal, he’d fit in nicely here because it’ll be bigger than he’s had before and he’s also taken his rangers side to the outside bet of a European cup quarter final. 
mid be willing to give him a shot personally 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bloody hope not. Done nothing so far that makes me think he's anything special.

Big name and contacts? Hmm why not just get countless other big names. 

In fact get a big name who is foreign who might know big names In cheap market.

Being a big name makes no difference when there's a decision to be made. Either the manager knows or doesn't know what to do.

Time to be open minded.

Certainly doesn’t look like someone who wants his managerial career handed to him on a plate.  Initially went for a job at MKD, then a year with Liverpool Academy before 2 seasons at Rangers...not the easiest job with them so far behind Celtic at the time.

I’d still like Hughton, but nobody could accuse us of lack of ambition if he did come in.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wouldn’t be my choice but if he was appointed you certainly couldn’t say it was either a cheap option or low profile appointment.

Would prefer Hughton out of those 4 but if he gets it (seeing as he would cost us in compensation & Hughton wouldn’t) it could only be because we thought he was the best man for the job.

Hasn't someone posted that he could leave for nothing?

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I quite fancy it just to annoy all the Rangers fans who are laughing at the idea that “little Bristol City” might be able to poach their manager.

Rangers are a basket case financially - can’t see them mounting a real challenge anytime soon so that part stacks up.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No idea what you’re on about kid ???

Yes, you did indeed ??????

Thanks, Dave. 

Regarding why Gerrard would consider a move to City. What I said on Thursday:

He wants to move south as he's realised Rangers are a busted flush and he can't compete with Celtic. Saw what Lampard did with Derby to get the Chelsea job and sees a similar route into the Prem with a club like City.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If someone who isn't Gerrard had done the same job at Rangers then I bet people would be saying no way.

He is a name like Sol Campbell. That's all I can really see in him being appointed. And I think being a name has very little benefit.

Didn't Sol Campbell do reasonably well in both of his managerial roles before being fired mysteriously?

11 minutes ago, zippycar said:

Hasn't someone posted that he could leave for nothing?

Appears to be under contract at Rangers until 2024, so would be interested to know how that could be the case.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Appears to be under contract at Rangers until 2024, so would be interested to know how that could be the case.

Clause in contract presumably, Rangers thinking only a big prem team would be able to persuade Gerrard to leave, willing to have the clause to attract him there in the first place. No idea if true just speculating.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks, Dave. 

Regarding why Gerrard would consider a move to City. What I said on Thursday:

He wants to move south as he's realised Rangers are a busted flush and he can't compete with Celtic. Saw what Lampard did with Derby to get the Chelsea job and sees a similar route into the Prem with a club like City.

Can’t argue with that. 
He’d be a ‘statement’, that’s for sure. 
I’m sure some people would get their hackles up at the ‘stepping stone’ scenario, but let’s be honest, a managerial job at any club outside the top 4 or 5 is a stepping stone - they’ll want to do well and attract a top job. 
Considering most managers only last a couple of years anyway, I’ve got no beef with that comment. 

I think Hughton is still my first choice, but I’d be incredibly excited by the Gerrard x-factor. 

Archived