IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

14 minutes ago, 189thoughts said:

A word of caution from someone who has followed his time at Rangers closely.

He has done a great job making them more competitive with Celtic. They have come out on top in Old firm games and he is a passionate bloke. He also plays attacking football and has taken them on some great cup runs (Europe in particular).

HOWEVER, he has not made them as consistent a team in the league and often they have beaten Celtic to drop points to the smaller teams. His record in the league, not the cup is what we should be looking at. Johnson also had good runs in the cup but had similar flaws IMO.

Also worth noting he has brought in a huge amount of players and spent quite a lot of money at Rangers and yet he does not have a trophy to show for it YET.

Was going to make a similar point. He beat Celtic not long after Christmas to go top ( or very close) since then their form has been poor to say the least and let's be honest that's in a shocking division. 

I'm not sure!

Would it worry people that we would just be a stepping stone for him. Fairly obvious if he does well he will take over from Klopp when his contract runs out. Part of me wants him just to shut up those arrogant Rangers fans laughing at us!

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

As long as this appointment brings some enjoyable football and a return to a matchday atmosphere I will be happy. AG for me was always a delight to go to , in all but a very few occasions/seasons. The last 2 seasons at home were soul destroying. A beautiful new stadium, millions spent on the team, yet awful to watch. So yes, this appointment is key, get the buzz back at the club, and IMHO a need to unite the fans again . I think SG would do that, as should CH. We know when all are together we can inspire our team. I think we all want to feel that buzz we got from winning L1, and it carried through to the players. 

We will know very soon who is coming 

Gerard would be a massive boost to the club and all associated with it and bring back some passion with the city supporters. Lets not forget though what Holden is currently doing. Why rush the process?? 

All of which you stated will automatically come if we keep winning regardless of the manager.

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Very interesting @Kid in the Riot

I think this might just happen.

Could be exciting. He will attract big name players.

If I was a city fan I would be excited if Steven gerrard was the ne w manager, inspirational on the training ground & dressing room, driven, attacking minded, tonnes of big game experience, young with modern ideas, contacts galore and someone whonthe kids can look upto 

Bristol City fs. Sort of team that if you saw a wee guy wearing their strip on holiday you’d be like aw that’s a sin

Despite them being perennial nonentities, their deluded fans have completely unfounded delusions of grandeur.

As an example, they had a decent run in the League Cup a few years ago and they convinced themselves that after promotion (that was a given), they’d be competing with Man City for the title. Think they finished 12th.

It may be too much cider, but could be the affects of fertiliser for the carrot crunching Wurzel freaks.

Before they got rid of Johnson, they were content in that they’d see season on season improvement if they finished 8th image.gif.adebeb636202bdd715b5db2617d7126f.gif

Some beauty’s on their forum talking about little Bristol City. The sweaty socks aren’t getting worried are they 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City fs. Sort of team that if you saw a wee guy wearing their strip on holiday you’d be like aw that’s a sin

Despite them being perennial nonentities, their deluded fans have completely unfounded delusions of grandeur.

As an example, they had a decent run in the League Cup a few years ago and they convinced themselves that after promotion (that was a given), they’d be competing with Man City for the title. Think they finished 12th.

It may be too much cider, but could be the affects of fertiliser for the carrot crunching Wurzel freaks.

Before they got rid of Johnson, they were content in that they’d see season on season improvement if they finished 8th image.gif.adebeb636202bdd715b5db2617d7126f.gif

Some beauty’s on their forum talking about little Bristol City. The sweaty socks getting worried 

They think playing the likes of Livingston, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Ross County are big games and have no idea how big our lower league teams are in comparison to some of the teams they play who would struggle in our national leagues. 

Steven Gerrard!!  This is seriously exciting. Isn’t football all about excitement and dreams. If he were to come to Ashton Gate the buzz would be amazing. If he fails, so what! All managers inevitably fail. It’s better to have loved and lost than not loved at all. Live the dream!  

The longer this speculation about Gerrard goes on, the more I’m warming to it. 

Given a choice, I’d still go for Hughton, as his managerial record appears about as close to a nailed recipe for success that we’re likely to get.  Given his percentage in the recent vote, he would also be the perfect person to unite the fanbase, after all the bickering and division under LJ.

Steven Gerrard is defininitely the wild card option and could go either way, but would be sure to raise the club’s profile, possibly get us some great access to some of Liverpool’s young players.  It would also be massive if he could mould our midfield into  his image!  It would definitely be a great way to get some excitement back into the club, with him being so high profile.  The problem I’ve got is a little voice in my head that keeps whispering David James ?

Exciting times ahead I think, as long as we stick with either of these two and forget any talk of Lowe or Flynn.

36 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Some beauty’s on their forum talking about little Bristol City. The sweaty socks aren’t getting worried are they 

Hahah. I want him now, just to piss their fans off..!

The SPL is such a dogshit league.. yes Rangers are a big club with a huge fanbase but that really is all they have going for them.. as i said they play in a SHIT two horse race league and financially they cannot compete with us.. we showed that with swooping Kalas for 8 million from under their nose.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/07/01/tomas-kalas-bristol-city-fee-explains-why-rangers-didnt-sign-him/%3famp

^^ sums it up for me.. We sign Kalas for 8 mill and they sign some obscure youngster from Oldham for 600 k, that says it all!

24 minutes ago, NotRoyal said:

Steven Gerrard!!  This is seriously exciting. Isn’t football all about excitement and dreams. If he were to come to Ashton Gate the buzz would be amazing. If he fails, so what! All managers inevitably fail. It’s better to have loved and lost than not loved at all. Live the dream!  

Different era I know but that's how we felt when we had Macari, Ardilles, Hoddle, McMahon, Di Canio etc. It at least excites the fans and fills the club with optimism and as you say if he fails you try again 

Other thing to mention is, given our social media team felt the need to announce Afobe’s bowel movements, Christ knows the detail they would go into if this reoccurred in a training ground incident:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8508485/amp/Ex-Liverpool-doctor-recalls-moment-stitch-Liverpool-captain-Steven-Gerrards-penis.html

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My issue with the appointment would be the name change. SGBCFC is a bit of a mouthful and I’m not sure how easy it is for the club to fit the full name on our Twitter handle...

No you looking at it in too much detail it would simply be Steven Gerrards Bristol?

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Different era I know but that's how we felt when we had Macari, Ardilles, Hoddle, McMahon, Di Canio etc. It at least excites the fans and fills the club with optimism and as you say if he fails you try again 

Think this is a valid thing. For me, I’d love us to get promoted but the big issue for the last year or two is it has all stopped being fun.

If nothing else, Gerrard’s appointment would create a buzz around the club and a bit of excitement. He’s not my preferred target but I can see why we would appoint him.

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Other thing to mention is, given our social media team felt the need to announce Afobe’s bowel movements, Christ knows the detail they would go into if this reoccurred in a training ground incident:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8508485/amp/Ex-Liverpool-doctor-recalls-moment-stitch-Liverpool-captain-Steven-Gerrards-penis.html

Ffs I feel for the bloke, I remember when I accidentally stood on mine the pain was excruciating.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If managed properly this time around he could be a real asset.

He wasn’t the first or last player to come with high hopes and expectations only to turn into a bit of a joke. Happened all to often.

I would have thought he is not a priority.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@BS4 on Tour... imagine being a true Liverpool fan and Steven Gerrard becomes your local club’s manager! ???

I did think of you with a laugh Dave when Gerrard’s name first came up! It would be all your dreams come true wouldn’t it you little Bristolian “Scouser”?!!! Still, never forget, David May has won more premier league titles than Steven Gerrard ... ??? ....that might bring you back down to Earth ....

1 hour ago, Super said:

Would it worry people that we would just be a stepping stone for him. Fairly obvious if he does well he will take over from Klopp when his contract runs out. Part of me wants him just to shut up those arrogant Rangers fans laughing at us!

What's more shocking is the length of this post! 

Not your normal 1 liner super! 

1 hour ago, Super said:

Of course it would be a stepping stone for him but Klopps not going anywhere for at least three years and Gerrard need some to experience a higher level of football. If it happens enjoy the ride and media circus as it would certainly be exciting 

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

And Tim Sherwood of course..... sorry :laugh:

10 hours ago, Akira said:

Quite simply, he has been a manager less time than LJ was before we appointed him. We need someone with experience, who knows what they're doing. Not someone learning the trade. Just because you've got a coaching badge doesn't make you a good coach. 

He doesn't excite me, in fact, it worries me more than anything. If I was interviewing him, along with other managers, I'd be wanting to see what he has done that proves he deserves to be the man to take Bristol City to the prem. 

He's got nothing which proves he can do it. He has minimal management experience. He's managing in a piss poor league and not tearing up trees within it either. 

If you’re interviewing Steven Gerrard, you need to have done your background too.  If he’s got as far as an interview you’ve already accepted his relative inexperience, and you’re talking less about what he’s done, and more about what he’s gonna do, albeit referencing how he may have approached it in his time at Rangers and Liverpool Academy and his he has brought his world class playing pedigree to the job.

8 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

What’s with all the “done nothing”? Why’s a manager for us need to have won 83 promotions in 9 different countries? He’s gotten Rangers to the Europa League quarter finals getting out of a group with bloody Porto and Feyenoord. I’d say that’s at least on par with winning League 2. I think he’d be a great appointment. 

I just think we need to be open minded. If you’d said to me last year Frank Lampard was interested in the City job, I’d have laughed.  This year we are talking about someone with two more years managerial experience than Frank.

What managerial experience did Joe Jordan have?

Lets just see what happens.  Of course there are pros and cons, but the positive is that we are being linked with managers we wouldn’t normally be.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

We are no better with our insular view of Scottish football are we?

How many of us have watched Rangers under Gerrard?

Just now, Davefevs said:

If you’re interviewing Steven Gerrard, you need to have done your background too.  If he’s got as far as an interview you’ve already accepted his relative inexperience, and you’re talking less about what he’s done, and more about what he’s gonna do, albeit referencing how he may have approached it in his time at Rangers and Liverpool Academy and his he has brought his world class playing pedigree to the job.

I just think we need to be open minded. If you’d said to me last year Frank Lampard was interested in the City job, I’d have laughed.  This year we are talking about someone with two more years managerial experience than Frank.

What managerial experience did Joe Jordan have?

Lets just see what happens.  Of course there are pros and cons, but the positive is that we are being linked with managers we wouldn’t normally be.

We are no better with our insular view of Scottish football are we?

How many of us have watched Rangers under Gerrard?

Dave, think you mentioned on another thread that interviews have started, where did you hear that? I’ve missed it if confirmed elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That buzz and excitement disappears instantly if his tactics are wrong and we lose games.

Him being name means nothing anymore if players realise he isn't up to the job.

No appointment is without it’s risks.

I’d still have Hughton or Jokanović (or other similar names) as my first choice, but I’d rather have Gerrard than Lowe, Flynn or Robins.

Archived