IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 minute ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

Dave, think you mentioned on another thread that interviews have started, where did you hear that? I’ve missed it if confirmed elsewhere.

The rumour mill ?

I heard 3 different sources of the same one.  Of course it could’ve been BS, but I sense they aren’t hanging about.

I thought MA’s “we haven’t started interviewing anyone” comment pre-match Wednesday was his poker-tell.

I’m only speculating but I think someone will be announced ahead of Stoke.  They might not be in situ straight away, but we will know by Wednesday.  

Seems to be a general consensus emerging, with which I’m inclined to agree. It would not be the wisest appointment from a strict football perspective, but if I were in Lansdown’s shoes, I would be sorely tempted by the very significant commercial and media benefits. The comparisons with Swindon under their various big name managers is a valid one. I clearly remember taking a much greater interest in their progress at those times than I would normally do. I also have to say they played some exciting football under some of those guys.

All very interesting....

Steven Gerard has the sort of stature whereby he only needs to stand on the touchline at training or at a match to get a positive reaction from his players and it may only be a 5% improvement which is the difference between a loss and a win.

I think this is much less a gamble than many may consider. An example, maybe a poor one, might be Ryan Kent himself. We may surmise he got hacked off with the way he was treated or simply did not like Johnson's methods. I stress may. He was just as far away from home in Glasgow as he was Bristol and yet he has apparently been something of a sensation up there. is that pure coincidence or down to a manager?

Regardless of Championship experience he poses a very exciting option. Look at Frank or Bilic at Brentford and WBA respectively; both in their first seasons with a Championship club. Not too bad so far.

Whilst we don’t want a crowd of plastic fans; his appointment could have some longer term benefits.

There may be some Bristol based Liverpool “fans” who may be tempted to visit AG for the first time, with SG in charge.

Who knows, they could become proper football fans and long term City supporters ?

Just now, RED LAND MAN said:

please don't shout at me as i admit i haven't read all threads on here regarding  new managers ...but...is john terry a real likely candidate  and could this happen to us  ?

I would be flabbergasted if John Terry was offered and accepted the job. Any new boss is a gamble but he would be so out there as to require a serious failure of judgement; far better candidates in the wings.

10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Seems to be a general consensus emerging, with which I’m inclined to agree. It would not be the wisest appointment from a strict football perspective, but if I were in Lansdown’s shoes, I would be sorely tempted by the very significant commercial and media benefits. The comparisons with Swindon under their various big name managers is a valid one. I clearly remember taking a much greater interest in their progress at those times than I would normally do. I also have to say they played some exciting football under some of those guys.

All very interesting....

Hes not fir me, but we've had some high profile managers too, with mixed fortunes. Joe Jordan, Russell Osman, Terry Cooper and Steve Coppell were all household names. But at what cost and under what conditions would Gerrard come here. Who gets the veto on him signing Ryan Kent. 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The rumour mill ?

I heard 3 different sources of the same one.  Of course it could’ve been BS, but I sense they aren’t hanging about.

I thought MA’s “we haven’t started interviewing anyone” comment pre-match Wednesday was his poker-tell.

I’m only speculating but I think someone will be announced ahead of Stoke.  They might not be in situ straight away, but we will know by Wednesday.  

FWIW I think the announcement was pre recorded Wednesday morning, so they could’ve interviewing a person in the PM but by the time of recording they hadn’t spoken to anyone 

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The rumour mill ?

If it is Gerrard we want I can’t see him before announced before end of season. Just because rangers are still in the Europa league and I can’t seem him leaving before they are knocked out 

12 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bloody hope not. Done nothing so far that makes me think he's anything special.

Big name and contacts? Hmm why not just get countless other big names. 

In fact get a big name who is foreign who might know big names In cheap market.

Being a big name makes no difference when there's a decision to be made. Either the manager knows or doesn't know what to do.

Yesterday you was advocating for Holden to get the job?

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As @Davefevswill be able to verify (though it's up to him if he wants to!) I told him on Thursday, three days ago, that Gerrard had expressed an interest in the City job so to me it is very interesting that this story has been leaked to the Express, that WE want him, and they are not unreliable when it comes to football coverage.

As I expressed on another thread, he is my number 2 choice after Hughton and I'd be very happy with his appointment. 

Joining the dots, it sounds like a very real possibility. I for one, am excited! 

I’ve seen the quote . He’s in a two horse race with Celtic but his horse has 3 legs . In respect to rangers finances. He’s proven nothing in coaching terms really . I get the high profile and he’ll undoubtedly get respect from players. Also don’t think he’ll jump ship unless Liverpool come calling and will get a better budget than he has at rangers. It’s a massive gamble though for us and him. If he fails , that his chances of Liverpool gone .

mind you I’ve got a few gas mates who go to watch rangers quite a bit so that would really piss them off ???

12 minutes ago, RED LAND MAN said:

please don't shout at me as i admit i haven't read all threads on here regarding  new managers ...but...is john terry a real likely candidate  and could this happen to us  ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12026626/dean-smith-insists-john-terry-is-not-leaving-aston-villa-for-bristol-city-managers-job

Not gonna happen apparently.  Phew.

13 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Whilst we don’t want a crowd of plastic fans; his appointment could have some longer term benefits.

There may be some Bristol based Liverpool “fans” who may be tempted to visit AG for the first time, with SG in charge.

Who knows, they could become proper football fans and long term City supporters ?

“AG for the first time”?

@BS4 on Tour... will tell you this Liverpool fan has been watching City on and off for over 40 years. ?

I think Garrards at least 5 years off managing Liverpool I can't see him being anywhere ready in a couple of years,That would be in line with klopp staying that long,Would I be happy with the appointment I would say yes/no because one it would give the academy a massive lift not just on a first team level but no to his general inexperience of the championship or getting a promotion,My first choice is still hughton because his CV doesn't lie he's done the job..

But either of these two because it shows lansdown means business and i honestly don't think this next appointment is going to be the cheap option I would be very disappointed if it was. 

"4 million for him and his management team.

i’ll drive them down even if it takes two trips.

Hopefully he gets an unlimited transfer budget and he comes back for Edmundson, Davis, Arfield, Barker, Jones, Stewart and Kent."

Not exactly a glowing tribute, interesting to read the comments on the Rangers forum and then compare with the thread on Brighton's forum who think that Hughton is the outstanding candidate.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/327864-bristol-city-targets-gerrard/#comments

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381076-If-you-re-Bristol-City-who-do-you-appoint 

11 hours ago, Akira said:

Quite simply, he has been a manager less time than LJ was before we appointed him. We need someone with experience, who knows what they're doing. Not someone learning the trade. Just because you've got a coaching badge doesn't make you a good coach. 

He doesn't excite me, in fact, it worries me more than anything. If I was interviewing him, along with other managers, I'd be wanting to see what he has done that proves he deserves to be the man to take Bristol City to the prem. 

He's got nothing which proves he can do it. He has minimal management experience. He's managing in a piss poor league and not tearing up trees within it either. 

Exactly this.

If we appoint Gerrard, the last four years have clearly taught us nothing.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I said it yesterday. But I'd love to know why he would ever get the Liverpool manager job?

Surely him being an ex Liverpool captain should have zero importance in him ever being given that job.

We saw it with Souness, Evans, Dalglish second spell.

It makes no difference if they're a club legend. 

Liverpool will need the absolute best manager in world football they can get the day Klopp leaves.

Would be some coincidence if that right man is Gerrard.

He certainly isn't know where near ready to manage Liverpool and that's if Liverpool want him,what if in the next 5 years there is not another manager about that is ready to take klopps place..Gerrard has alot to learn and prove in the years to come.Like you say he definitely isnt 100% certain he will ever manage liverpool.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said it yesterday. But I'd love to know why he would ever get the Liverpool manager job?

Surely him being an ex Liverpool captain should have zero importance in him ever being given that job.

Liverpool will need the absolute best manager in world football they can get the day Klopp leaves.

You could add Shearer at Newcastle to that list of legends too where it never worked out 

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Exactly, and the only job he really wants is Liverpool, and Klopp is signed up for many years yet. If he does well we willl be in the Prem. 

Not sure how you know that the only job he really wants is Liverpool, but if it is, we definitely shouldn't touch him.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You know how cyclical football is Jon. Liverpool are on top now, but that could easily change within a few years.

In theory if Klopp left - they could make the wrong appointment for his replacement, within a few years the current crop of players move on/retire/are past prime and Liverpool are battling it out for top 4 again. Can easily happen. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep he was awful.

Many top players have made poor managers.

It takes completely different skills to do the job.

Non players have made great managers. Or players that were in such low leagues we never knew of them as players.

So there's no link between good players making good managers at all.

It doesn't mean Gerrard will not be a great manager. But reading some Rangers fans comments about him he certainly does not seem to have anything special about him as a head coach. Or hasn't really shown it so far.

Good post 

20 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

"4 million for him and his management team.

i’ll drive them down even if it takes two trips.

Hopefully he gets an unlimited transfer budget and he comes back for Edmundson, Davis, Arfield, Barker, Jones, Stewart and Kent."

Not exactly a glowing tribute, interesting to read the comments on the Rangers forum and then compare with the thread on Brighton's forum who think that Hughton is the outstanding candidate.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/327864-bristol-city-targets-gerrard/#comments

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381076-If-you-re-Bristol-City-who-do-you-appoint 

Yea but you have to keep in mind they think they are on par with Celtic and should be better. They were in the Scottish Championship 4 years ago and have nowhere near the budget of Celtic. They have done what you’d expect them to do which is finish second to Celtic. Their fans won’t think that is good enough but in reality what more could he do? 

He has qualified for Europa League both his seasons by finishing comfortably second each year. He has progressed them well in that competition. Think he will be disappointed they haven’t maybe had a real go at the Scottish Cup but all in all he did what he was supposed to do. 

Archived