IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 hour ago, RED LAND MAN said:

please don't shout at me as i admit i haven't read all threads on here regarding  new managers ...but...is john terry a real likely candidate  and could this happen to us  ?

If we're looking for a racist, adulterous shoplifter (allegedly) he's a shoe in ?

A lot of people are clearly concerned that Gerrard is a risk. I get that, he's relatively inexperienced, his name precedes whatever qualifications he may or may not have and his Rangers are the 2nd best team in Scotland, a feat most on here could probably achieve. But the more I think about it, the more I think this would actually be quite a sensible appointment.

Promotion next season is clearly the aim. Hughton and Jokanovic are both ahead of him in my personal preference, someone like Slot is pretty much level pegging. I'd take Gerrard over Robins, Lowe and Cook. Probably over McCarthy, too. But the aim here is to take the next step. Clearly, understandably as it is being waved about, that's the Premier League. And to that end is it hard, probably impossible, to argue that Gerrard would be a better appointment than Hughton or Jokanovic. However it is equally hard to argue that appointing Gerrard wouldn't signify progress. It would dramatically lift our profile, something many consider superficial. Personally I think it's of huge significance. It would create contacts, likely draw new fans and, you'd think, bring an uplift in sponsorship/tv money. None of that is as important as winning football matches but there are no guarantees for any manager. He'd/we'd have to combust pretty spectacularly to be relegated or even struggle, the club would clearly back him in his push, without a complete capitulation we'd finish mid-table at worst.

This appointment will quite possibly define SL's time. And whilst that means he cant afford to get it wrong (with all due respect, having built what he has, is he going to appoint Michael Flynn..) it is a huge moment for Gerrard himself. If he flounders his immediate hope of a top tier job evaporate. I'd be more worried for him than I would be for us. His stock would fall, we'd still be the PL club in waiting whose experiment failed. It would cement us on the footballing map as an intriguing project with significant appeal.

What seems to be the/a stumbling block is that he's contracted to Rangers until 2024. If compensation dictates that he and Hughton are similar financial commitments then you take Hughton. Whether or not the egos at the club (and that isn't meant as a jibe) do is another matter, but it seems increasingly clear that they want a young head coach. And if you've decided you want a young head coach then Gerrard is probably your best all round package.

Contrary to what others seem to think this is high reward, low risk, for me. 

32 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

It means the bookies are reacting to/reflecting current press speculation, one would imagine. Standard. 

They are reacting to whatever money is being put on who. 

Bookies aren’t actually interested in who they think will get the job, all they are interested in is how much money they can make. 

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You know how cyclical football is Jon. Liverpool are on top now, but that could easily change within a few years.

In theory if Klopp left - they could make the wrong appointment for his replacement, within a few years the current crop of players move on/retire/are past prime and Liverpool are battling it out for top 4 again. Can easily happen. 

Spot on who would have thought it would take Liverpool 30 years to win the Premiership after dominating throughout the 70's & 80's and look how United struggled when Fergie left.

16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Bookies aren’t actually interested in who they think will get the job, all they are interested in is how much money they can make. 

When Phil Brown got sacked here just like City the bookies had their list but out of nowhere Richie Wellens went as a clear favourite so it does beg the question can football still be corrupted if friends, family agents etc know what's about to happen 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I think this is much less a gamble than many may consider. An example, maybe a poor one, might be Ryan Kent himself. We may surmise he got hacked off with the way he was treated or simply did not like Johnson's methods. I stress may. He was just as far away from home in Glasgow as he was Bristol and yet he has apparently been something of a sensation up there. is that pure coincidence or down to a manager?

I would say it is down to the obvious fact that the SPL is like a sunday pub league. Plenty of players look amazing up there having looked carp in the championship. 

21 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s probably a pretty small market too, so a couple of £10ers here and there can make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

When Phil Brown got sacked here just like City the bookies had their list but out of nowhere Richie Wellens went as a clear favourite so it does beg the question can football still be corrupted if friends, family agents etc know what's about to happen 

Bob Murray at Sunderland told his daughter he was about to appoint Howard Wilkinson.  Murray’s daughter went to school, told her teachers and they all had a bet on it.  I guess the bookies weren’t joined up like they are today to pick up betting patterns.

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Bound to be people that know what's happening and could bet on the outcome but I think it's a market that only allows a small bet. I have a friend that knows one of the managers on the list and he will let me know if he is to be appointed and I can place a bet ???

2 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Bound to be people that know what's happening and could bet on the outcome but I think it's a market that only allows a small bet. I have a friend that knows one of the managers on the list and he will let me know if he is to be appointed and I can place a bet ???

I thought that would be the case and maybe a couple of hundred wouldn't grab attention where as £500+ might look suspicious 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bob Murray at Sunderland told his daughter he was about to appoint Howard Wilkinson.  Murray’s daughter went to school, told her teachers and they all had a bet on it.  I guess the bookies weren’t joined up like they are today to pick up betting patterns.

Great story and wasn't Cotts there with him then 

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I thought that would be the case and maybe a couple of hundred wouldn't grab attention where as £500+ might look suspicious 

Definitely, I think the maximum bet would be lower than a couple of hundred, any bet where the outcome could be known is usually £10 to £20 max.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I made a few quid off Hughton being sacked at Newcastle. A lad I used to work with has family connections with the coaching staff who were there at the time and got the tip off that something was happening.

A load of us lumped on him being the next PL manager to leave, he was about 10/1 as it wasn't expected, and he was sacked the following day.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Steven Gerard has the sort of stature whereby he only needs to stand on the touchline at training or at a match to get a positive reaction from his players and it may only be a 5% improvement which is the difference between a loss and a win.

I think this is much less a gamble than many may consider. An example, maybe a poor one, might be Ryan Kent himself. We may surmise he got hacked off with the way he was treated or simply did not like Johnson's methods. I stress may. He was just as far away from home in Glasgow as he was Bristol and yet he has apparently been something of a sensation up there. is that pure coincidence or down to a manager?

Regardless of Championship experience he poses a very exciting option. Look at Frank or Bilic at Brentford and WBA respectively; both in their first seasons with a Championship club. Not too bad so far.

More likely it was one of the hundreds of other aspects, such as the poorer standard of opposition, the fact he is a few years older and so developed more, maturity, etc.

Most likely a small element of several things.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You could add Shearer at Newcastle to that list of legends too where it never worked out 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep he was awful.

Many top players have made poor managers.

It takes completely different skills to do the job.

Non players have made great managers. Or players that were in such low leagues we never knew of them as players.

So there's no link between good players making good managers at all.

It doesn't mean Gerrard will not be a great manager. But reading some Rangers fans comments about him he certainly does not seem to have anything special about him as a head coach. Or hasn't really shown it so far.

To be fair with Shearer, Newcastle were on a downwards slope that season, and would have gone down regardless of who was in charge. He couldn't really lose with that job - cult hero if he managed to keep them up, and as most expected them to go down anyway it was a case of "well he was always going to be extremely lucky to keep them up".

Back to Gerrard, the more I think about it the more I like it. BUT, that's only because I think we'd be taking less of a gamble with him in charge, as opposed to someone like Wellins, Cooke, or Flynn.

The top 3 for me currently, is Jokanovic, Hughton or McCarthy. Are they actually really interested though, or is it all agent/paper talk.

Should the Premiership sackings start, then Farke (they may not as they will likely come back up if they can keep the bulk of the squad together) would be the one I would hold out for. If it's going to happen, I would guess it would be this week for him.

Howe is a small possibility, but part of me says they would stick by him and give him a few months next season at least. Only because of his history there. Would he get another Prem job? Location would be ideal for him really....

Smith at Villa, I think will be gone if/when they go down. They look completely devoid of anything positive at the moment, and personally think that Terry will stick around there to take his job. May even try to stick the knife in to hurry it along....

Moyes? Have his best years sailed him by? If he was to be sacked, he may be better off dropping down to the Championship to rebuild his career, and re-establish himself. Part of me thinks that he would jump at the chance if available, part of me thinks it has disaster written all over it.

I think by this time next week, things will become clearer. Managers are starting to get the boot, so clubs are going to be wanting the new guy in ASAP. Question is, are we waiting for someone to be given the boot before we appoint?

I am sure it has been mentioned but Post reporting that Houghton is waiting to hear from City before deciding on taking the Birmingham job. I wonder , if true, how long he is prepared to wait. But with this talk of Gerrard  and the time this process may take will he say sod this and go to Brum. And we then miss out on the best prospect to get us promoted. If he wants the City job  why not get him before he goes elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I am sure it has been mentioned but Post reporting that Houghton is waiting to hear from City before deciding on taking the Birmingham job. I wonder , if true, how long he is prepared to wait. But with this talk of Gerrard  and the time this process may take will he say sod this and go to Brum. And we then miss out on the best prospect to get us promoted. If he wants the City job  why not get him before he goes elsewhere.

Who knows what’s going on in the corridors of power ? Only four men know.  They are Lansdown father and son, CEO Mark Ashton, and director Doug Harman. Contact will surely have been made with all interested parties, and would love to be a fly on the wall.  I cannot envisage any meaningful leaks so all we can do is second guess, and guess it shall be.

There's one other benefit to having Steven Gerrard at the helm, and that's his connections with Liverpool.

The Liverpool hierarchy will still largely see him as a successor to Klopp, and a move to England to a club looking at promotion will only intensify that. For that reason, it would put is in good standing to get Liverpool youngsters either on loan or for a decent price (w/ buy-back).

While I think Chris Hughton should be a top contender for the job, I also believe that we're relying on lightning striking thrice. We're also looking for a head coach, whereas Hughton has always wanted control.

3 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Totally, if you knew you were about to get the job, would you not tell all your family and friends to lump money on it.........I certainly would!

Archived