IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Why?

Just feels like we're hanging around too long for Hughton. Managers have to feel wanted. When one of your top choices says he wants in, you go and get him. I hope lots is going on in the background that we don't know about...

If we wait until end of the season for Gerrard (still has matches to play at gers?) Maybe he'll start eyeing up one of the relegated prem teams with their parachute payments.

4 hours ago, S_C said:

A lot of people are clearly concerned that Gerrard is a risk. I get that, he's relatively inexperienced, his name precedes whatever qualifications he may or may not have and his Rangers are the 2nd best team in Scotland, a feat most on here could probably achieve. But the more I think about it, the more I think this would actually be quite a sensible appointment.

Promotion next season is clearly the aim. Hughton and Jokanovic are both ahead of him in my personal preference, someone like Slot is pretty much level pegging. I'd take Gerrard over Robins, Lowe and Cook. Probably over McCarthy, too. But the aim here is to take the next step. Clearly, understandably as it is being waved about, that's the Premier League. And to that end is it hard, probably impossible, to argue that Gerrard would be a better appointment than Hughton or Jokanovic. However it is equally hard to argue that appointing Gerrard wouldn't signify progress. It would dramatically lift our profile, something many consider superficial. Personally I think it's of huge significance. It would create contacts, likely draw new fans and, you'd think, bring an uplift in sponsorship/tv money. None of that is as important as winning football matches but there are no guarantees for any manager. He'd/we'd have to combust pretty spectacularly to be relegated or even struggle, the club would clearly back him in his push, without a complete capitulation we'd finish mid-table at worst.

This appointment will quite possibly define SL's time. And whilst that means he cant afford to get it wrong (with all due respect, having built what he has, is he going to appoint Michael Flynn..) it is a huge moment for Gerrard himself. If he flounders his immediate hope of a top tier job evaporate. I'd be more worried for him than I would be for us. His stock would fall, we'd still be the PL club in waiting whose experiment failed. It would cement us on the footballing map as an intriguing project with significant appeal.

What seems to be the/a stumbling block is that he's contracted to Rangers until 2024. If compensation dictates that he and Hughton are similar financial commitments then you take Hughton. Whether or not the egos at the club (and that isn't meant as a jibe) do is another matter, but it seems increasingly clear that they want a young head coach. And if you've decided you want a young head coach then Gerrard is probably your best all round package.

Contrary to what others seem to think this is high reward, low risk, for me. 

I was going to post, but you saved me a job. You have summed this up nicely, very eloquently constructed and much better than I could have done. Bravo. 

I was firmly in the CH camp, but the more I think about SG the more upside I see. If a club like Rangers can gamble on SG then I see no reason we could not. 

Question. Does the compensation necessary to bring him and pay off LJ  effect FFP. I am assuming it does. 

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I am sure it has been mentioned but Post reporting that Houghton is waiting to hear from City before deciding on taking the Birmingham job. I wonder , if true, how long he is prepared to wait. But with this talk of Gerrard  and the time this process may take will he say sod this and go to Brum. And we then miss out on the best prospect to get us promoted. If he wants the City job  why not get him before he goes elsewhere.

Doesn't the same report also say that CH is keen to see if the Fulham job becomes available? If it does, presumably we'll then be waiting for Fulham to decide their new manager.

1 hour ago, YGBjammy said:

Just feels like we're hanging around too long for Hughton. Managers have to feel wanted. When one of your top choices says he wants in, you go and get him. I hope lots is going on in the background that we don't know about...

If we wait until end of the season for Gerrard (still has matches to play at gers?) Maybe he'll start eyeing up one of the relegated prem teams with their parachute payments.

When has the club said he’s one of our top choices? He’s an out of work manager whose looked at our club and stated he would be interested in the role 

1 minute ago, daored said:

When has the club said he’s one of our top choices? He’s an out of work manager whose looked at our club and stated he would be interested in the role 

If he's not one of our top choices then we're mugs. He's been promoted from this league twice.

1 minute ago, YGBjammy said:

If he's not one of our top choices then we're mugs. He's been promoted from this league twice.

But you said ‘when one of your top choices’ the club hasn’t come out and made a comment about any manager 

37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Steve L has plenty of mussel.

... But he's clammed up regarding the new manager, other than saying the club are keen to winkle out the right man. 

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

... But he's clammed up regarding the new manager, other than saying the club are keen to winkle out the right man. 

Should go for that Dutchman at Derby, Philip Cockle...think that’s how you say it.

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

How is it possible for me to be both:

(a) filled with dread, and

(b) extremely excited. 

Weird rumour this one. 

A) because it’s City and whilst it could go either way , our experience tells us the way it would most likely go.

B) Steven Gerard, we’ve seen him on the telly and no way would a famous ex player like him come to us , or would he ?

How often in modern times has a rumour of this sort been just completely ridiculous and laughed off . Well this time we are a credible proposition for people of this calibre ; 

just watch us screw it up . 

:laughcont:

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Got a bit crabby when he was asked on the radio the other day I thought. I don`t think he whelkomed the question.

Oh how I`ve missed a good crustacean-based pun thread!

Archived