IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

50 minutes ago, M.D said:

Steve Gerrard Gerrard

He's big and Fooking hard

Drinks Cider by the yard

Steve Gerrard Gerrard 

We’re going to have that song sung to death at us by the away fans (the falling on his arse one, not the cider one) if he does join (and if we ever get to having any away fans!) 

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Got a bit crabby when he was asked on the radio the other day I thought. I don`t think he whelkomed the question.

Oh how I`ve missed a good crustacean-based pun thread!

...if you can knock out a crustacean based pun then the world's your oyster. 

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A) because it’s City and whilst it could go either way , our experience tells us the way it would most likely go.

B) Steven Gerard, we’ve seen him on the telly and no way would a famous ex player like him come to us , or would he ?

How often in modern times has a rumour of this sort been just completely ridiculous and laughed off . Well this time we are a credible proposition for people of this calibre ; 

just watch us screw it up

:laughcont:

I’m sure there are many who share your fears Major.

We may be short on success at this club, but we’ve got a rich history of ballsing things up.  If there’s any club who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you can rely on us to find a way.

Come on Stevie L, please, pleeeeeease prove me wrong!

Is this really going to happen ? 

Its gaining pace very quickly, and we all know there is no smoke without fire. 

I really thought it would be hughton, but if it was going to be I’m sure it would have already happened due to him being available . 

I did make a Gerrard post early last week but this now definitely has some legs 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

We’re going to have that song sung to death at us by the away fans (the falling on his arse one, not the cider one) if he does join (and if we ever get to having any away fans!) 

Well If you get John Terry you will get Man Utd's where's your racist centre half chant!

40 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

Is this really going to happen ? 

Its gaining pace very quickly, and we all know there is no smoke without fire. 

I really thought it would be hughton, but if it was going to be I’m sure it would have already happened due to him being available . 

I did make a Gerrard post early last week but this now definitely has some legs 

I have this sinking feeling we will end up with someone like Karanka, which would be pretty uninspiring. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

“AG for the first time”?

@BS4 on Tour... will tell you this Liverpool fan has been watching City on and off for over 40 years. ?

I can confirm that although @Davefevs is a confirmed armchair Liverpool fan he has also been known to frequent matches at Ashton Gate on the odd occasion - and he was an underrated centre half ....✌️?

I can’t help but think if we chose Gerrard over Hughton - assuming we have the luxury of choice - it’s a vanity move akin to David James....

Whilst I do think it’d be a statement of intent, and probably good PR for the club to have a ‘name’ like Gerrard, but my choice would be the guy who’s been here and done exactly what the last manager was sacked for not being able to do, rather than someone who has yet to prove whether he can do anything. 

10 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Hes not fir me, but we've had some high profile managers too, with mixed fortunes. Joe Jordan, Russell Osman, Terry Cooper and Steve Coppell were all household names. But at what cost and under what conditions would Gerrard come here. Who gets the veto on him signing Ryan Kent. 

I get what you mean, but I wouldn’t say Osman and Cooper were household names - and I’m not sure Coppell was either ... Jordan, possibly due to his outstanding World Cup exploits from 1974 to 1982 ... however I think ‘high profile’ is a more accurate description of those guys rather than ‘household names’ 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

I can’t help but think if we chose Gerrard over Hughton - assuming we have the luxury of choice - it’s a vanity move akin to David James....

Whilst I do think it’d be a statement of intent, and probably good PR for the club to have a ‘name’ like Gerrard, but my choice would be the guy who’s been here and done exactly what the last manager was sacked for not being able to do, rather than someone who has yet to prove whether he can do anything. 

Hughton is now 61 and I'm not sure that he fits the profile of the club - I'd have him here no problem but I think they will be looking for a younger head coach akin to LJ to carry on the "project."

Whether that is Gerrard, who knows (although the rumours are gaining a bit of traction after Gerrards reps reportedly said he's not not interested in the Birmingham job but hasn't dismissed the City job). I'm convinced that they'll be looking for a younger bloke than Hughton and it has to be said that Gerrard has two years at Rangers with a shed load of high level contacts. Say what you like about Scottish football but Rangers are a big UK club and in European competitions and that experience is very relevant. He's a credible candidate for the job imo and would raise the profile of the club.

I'd be happy with Hughton, very happy, but I can see that Gerrard is a very attractive alternative for the club.

If we have that sort of choice, we are in a good place.

5 hours ago, AshtonG666 said:

Amazing how many people call him Houghton

I have been critical of this too, but in fairness I think that at least some of them may be the victims of autocorrect. I have nearly been caught a couple of times.

A bit like Adobe.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My thoughts exactly, a flashy, vanity choice.

Well said.

On 12/07/2020 at 01:36, Nibor said:

It's the daily express.  It makes the daily heil look like a real newspaper.

I would be amazed if SL thought appointing Steven Gerrard was anything other than insane.

There's always one aint there.

Unless its the Guardian of course. 

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I get what you mean, but I wouldn’t say Osman and Cooper were household names - and I’m not sure Coppell was either ... Jordan, possibly due to his outstanding World Cup exploits from 1974 to 1982 ... however I think ‘high profile’ is a more accurate description of those guys rather than ‘household names’ 

We'll agree to disagree but they were household names in every football loving family I knew. All were England internationals. Terry Cooper was left back in Don Revie's great Leeds side: Steve Coppell played over 300 games on the right wing for Manchester United: and Russell Osman was an integral part of Bobby Robson's Ipswich Town and a film star 'Escape to Victory (1981)'. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We'll agree to disagree but they were household names in every football loving family I knew. All were England internationals. Terry Cooper was left back in Don Revie's great Leeds side: Steve Coppell played over 300 games on the right wing for Manchester United: and Russell Osman was an integral part of Bobby Robson's Ipswich Town and a film star 'Escape to Victory (1981)'. 

"So Russell, why should we give you the job?"

"Well... Have you seen Escape To Victory?"

21 hours ago, warbie_118 said:

If it is Gerrard we want I can’t see him before announced before end of season. Just because rangers are still in the Europa league and I can’t seem him leaving before they are knocked out 

Yeah I was thinking the same

I believe what will happen is that we will appoint Swindon's Wellens, or Plymouth's ..... the bloke at Plymouth, at some point this week; win all our remaining fixtures; unbelievably finish 6th; scrape through on penalties to the final; beat Brentford in the final with ten men (after Bakes is sent off for breaking Ollie Watkins legs in a no-holds-barred assault on the halfway line); and find ourselves in the blinkin' Premier League/promised land with Richie bloody Wellens of Swidnon in charge (or the bloke at Plymouth). Nightmare!

29 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I believe what will happen is that we will appoint Swindon's Wellens, or Plymouth's ..... the bloke at Plymouth, at some point this week; win all our remaining fixtures; unbelievably finish 6th; scrape through on penalties to the final; beat Brentford in the final with ten men (after Bakes is sent off for breaking Ollie Watkins legs in a no-holds-barred assault on the halfway line); and find ourselves in the blinkin' Premier League/promised land with Richie bloody Wellens of Swidnon in charge (or the bloke at Plymouth). Nightmare!

It's a bit early to have been smoking that much crack! 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Ah, well you’ve changed it a bit now! If you’re now saying “household names in every football loving family I knew” - I’d totally agree with you - those last seven words make all the difference! 

Archived