IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

21334CC5-BAB0-430C-8E5B-3B88497C2C90.png

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just heard from nobody reliable (usual “my mate told me”) that Gerrard is being announced tomorrow.  I put £1 on just in case. ?

Weirdly the first guy is now tweeting a lot of betting sites asking for odds on Gerrard. Also mentioned something about 10pm and odds falling by then. 

Things might be hotting up?

Just now, Rocky said:

Weirdly the first guy is now tweeting a lot of betting sites asking for odds on Gerrard. Also mentioned something about 10pm and odds falling by then. 

He's also tweeted our clubs handle asking them to confirm or deny that we are in talks with Gerrard. Looks like he's on a wind up

3 minutes ago, Rocky said:

In all likelihood the person who told my friend, who then told me, saw the tweet.  I’ve no idea of the legitimacy, nor was I winding up JonD either. ?

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jon - we get you don’t think he’s what we are after.  You don’t have to keep trying to convince us with Mystic Meg negatives. ???

Out of interest, what was the squad depth when he arrived?  Was it excessive incomings really?  Here’s both year’s transfers (exc loans)

D84928B7-0251-4415-BFB6-0270434217DA.jpeg

AFD559EC-1E43-4F6A-A79E-E9F97655F29C.jpeg

Fits the sort of transfer market style we'd be after, pretty much all of his signings under 26 with the odd experienced free transfer

9 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Looks like a Celtic fan on the wind up to me. Would love Gerrard to be true

Aside from everything that has been said in this thread thus far, I'd be absolutely delighted if Stevie G came to us as manager.  For one, he'd be leaving one of the 2 biggest Scottish clubs (albeit not as big as once was...) for little old Bristol City, something that wouldn't have been conceivable 5yrs ago.  A measure of just have far this football club has come and a measure of the potential that we offer.

A chance to prove yourself on a week in, week out basis in the toughest League outside of the Premier League.  Rather than 4 games a season vs Celtic and the occasional game against Aberdeen where they turn up, Stevie G would have highly competitive games every week and midweek with which to test himself.

He would have the backing (financially) of SL, to a level that he's probably not getting with the current Rangers board. Other than the general state of the league/s in Scotland, the Championship is completely different. With players that are more willing to challenge themselves. See Wayne Rooney at Derby....

With his name (should) come contacts and the ability to pick up the phone or meet a potential target and offer a greater level of enticement to potential signings.

Of course, there is no guarantee that Stevie G would be a great manager and certainly it may well be true that he could be lined up to take over from Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, but does anyone think Klopp is going anywhere in the next 3 years?  And do we think that if the right offer came along, Stevie G wouldn't be tempted to challenge himself at a different level within that time?  He may well bomb at Rangers if he stays, because a) he isn't good enough and can't motivate or b) he's at the wrong club for his talents.  In which case he might be the last candidate Liverpool would consider as Klopp's successor.  Or c) he wins the League and the CL for Rangers.  In which, he's a shoe in.

(likewise, there is no guarantee that Chris Hughton would get City promoted either....).

Every managerial appointment comes with a level of risk, we need to trust the board, whomever they appoint, that the due diligence is undertaken and the right choice is made.  And ultimately, the right choice will be with promotion to the Premier League.

6 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Aside from everything that has been said in this thread thus far, I'd be absolutely delighted if Stevie G came to us as manager.  For one, he'd be leaving one of the 2 biggest Scottish clubs (albeit not as big as once was...) for little old Bristol City, something that wouldn't have been conceivable 5yrs ago.  A measure of just have far this football club has come and a measure of the potential that we offer.

A chance to prove yourself on a week in, week out basis in the toughest League outside of the Premier League.  Rather than 4 games a season vs Celtic and the occasional game against Aberdeen where they turn up, Stevie G would have highly competitive games every week and midweek with which to test himself.

He would have the backing (financially) of SL, to a level that he's probably not getting with the current Rangers board. Other than the general state of the league/s in Scotland, the Championship is completely different. With players that are more willing to challenge themselves. See Wayne Rooney at Derby....

With his name (should) come contacts and the ability to pick up the phone or meet a potential target and offer a greater level of enticement to potential signings.

Of course, there is no guarantee that Stevie G would be a great manager and certainly it may well be true that he could be lined up to take over from Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, but does anyone think Klopp is going anywhere in the next 3 years?  And do we think that if the right offer came along, Stevie G wouldn't be tempted to challenge himself at a different level within that time?  He may well bomb at Rangers if he stays, because a) he isn't good enough and can't motivate or b) he's at the wrong club for his talents.  In which case he might be the last candidate Liverpool would consider as Klopp's successor.  Or c) he wins the League and the CL for Rangers.  In which, he's a shoe in.

(likewise, there is no guarantee that Chris Hughton would get City promoted either....).

Every managerial appointment comes with a level of risk, we need to trust the board, whomever they appoint, that the due diligence is undertaken and the right choice is made.  And ultimately, the right choice will be with promotion to the Premier League.

One thing if he came in we would be the new target team , everyone up for it to beat SG’s Bristol City coming to town , like it it was with Frank’ s Derby , instead of being under the radar we’d be right on top of it 

Lots of city fans I know tend to also support Liverpool as their Prem team. I wonder if that is why many are so keen for SG.

He’d be an exciting/risky appointment but think there are better options, such as Hughton.

1 minute ago, Red Alert said:

Lots of city fans I know tend to also support Liverpool as their Prem team. I wonder if that is why many are so keen for SG.

He’d be an exciting/risky appointment but think there are better options, such as Hughton.

Take the option most likely to get promotion, track record suggests Hughton. If you struggle in the prem and want an exciting, risky option, change manager around Christmas. That way you have the parachute payments in your pocket and still get a go at the 'fun' option. 

1 hour ago, Red Alert said:

People have Prem teams? 

that being said I do support a team (who I actually go and see) but I hardly think Worthing are going to reach our level in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It might only be league one but Walsh looked so good, I would be surprised if he isn't ready to be honest. He looks technically brilliant and looks so much stronger now. 

Taylor Moore really impressed me for us last season so I would like to think with a bit more development physically he will be ready for a full season with us.

Morrell did win player of the season I think for Lincoln. I assume that means he is at least a very good league on player and is at an age where he should be improving. Gets in the Wales team, or he did over a few games.

I would really like to think a head coach will be looking to play them.

Me too, afterall it's what we all want. They should be ready at least to push for starting 11. New man and fresh ideas, who knows. 

3 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

There will be lots of foreign managers who would be excellent for us, it’s finding them and being on same page is the issue. So majority are will be a gamble, as will anyone else. 
My first choice would be like yours Jokanović, however I don’t think we are on his radar. Hughton I would support but from limited times I’ve seen his team play reminds me of SoD. Gerrard to me could bring media coverage and maybe even we will be main games on the highlights instead of last game. He’s got to prove to Liverpool he is the next manager so will be wanting to be a success. Even he knows it won’t be like Lampard as I can’t see them parting with Klopp soon. 
All managers start of as a novice as did Pep and Mourinho. 

I really don't get why everyone assumes that it is a given that Liverpool are lining Gerrard up as their next manager. Of course if his stock is high the next time they need one then he will be touted, but now?

I also don't get why everyone assumes that he has his eyes on it. Couldn't it possibly just be the case that he is somebody that has come to the end of his playing career, wants a go at management to see where it takes him?

It seems to me that there are a lot of people adding two and two to make five, and I suspect that the folks on here that are creaming their knickers at the prospect of his appointment are among them.

Young and 'up and coming' punt?

No thanks. We have just done that.

3 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

The same board that appointed someone that had nothing on his CV to show he could fulfill the criteria last time.

Wish I had your faith.

On second thoughts, actually I don't.

2 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Well I support Everton.

But that's not why I don't want him.

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

People have Prem teams? 

that being said I do support a team (who I actually go and see) but I hardly think Worthing are going to reach our level in my lifetime.

Lots of reasons why people might have 'second' teams, Premier or not.

I have explained this on here before, but my Grandma was a Scouser and supported Everton. She died in early May 1984. Two weeks later Howard Kendall's team won the FA Cup, and that was the start of arguably the greatest Everton team of all time. She missed it. And I miss her. So I 'took up the baton', if you will.

It really boils my piss when people infer on here (not necessarily aimed at you, as I don't think that you were) that if you have an interest in another team it somehow makes you less of a City fan.

It's not a penis contest.

If it was, I'd win. ?

Archived