IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Gerrard would bring the media circus to town which might be a bit of a laugh I guess. Watched a decent number of Rangers games and highlights and not been massively impressed but guess he could improve as still learning.  I’m surprised by how many people want him. Perhaps it’s for circus reasons as well as that’s the strongest reason from what I can see. 

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Gerrard would bring the media circus to town which might be a bit of a laugh I guess. Watched a decent number of Rangers games and highlights and not been massively impressed but guess he could improve as still learning.  I’m surprised by how many people want him. Perhaps it’s for circus reasons as well as that’s the strongest reason from what I can see. 

When it was speculated that LJ had lost the dressing room, or struggled to manage "big name" players, it was often suggested that players looked at him and asked what had he ever achieved as a player, i'e' he had no credibility with them.

I wonder whether some fans are thinking that that element would be taken away with someone like Gerrard.

Other than playing under top managers and coaches, I don't see that a playing career is necessarily an indicator of someone's ability as a manager - just look at Wenger, Klopp and Mourinho. 

He has had a very good playing career, he usually says the right things on interviews and he always look smartly dressed when I see him on TV. Is he going to be a good manager at championship level? I don't know and I don't really want to take that chance. And honestly I don't see why he would down tools at Rangers to come to Bristol, I don't think its a good fit for either party.

28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Some of the European games i watched they were excellent. Obviously still learning his trade and would be a gamble without doubt. I do think he would appeal more to SL than Hughton though.

11 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Lots of city fans I know tend to also support Liverpool as their Prem team.

Never been able to get my head around that. The idea is so misaligned with my own view of what it means to support a club that I genuinely can't understand the concept one bit.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Never been able to get my head around that. The idea is so misaligned with my own view of what it means to support a club that I genuinely can't understand the concept one bit.

It's pathetic and pretty embarrassing

8 hours ago, Superjack said:

I really don't get why everyone assumes that it is a given that Liverpool are lining Gerrard up as their next manager. Of course if his stock is high the next time they need one then he will be touted, but now?

I also don't get why everyone assumes that he has his eyes on it. Couldn't it possibly just be the case that he is somebody that has come to the end of his playing career, wants a go at management to see where it takes him?

It seems to me that there are a lot of people adding two and two to make five, and I suspect that the folks on here that are creaming their knickers at the prospect of his appointment are among them.

Young and 'up and coming' punt?

No thanks. We have just done that.

I think people saw that Gerrard's Rangers contract ends at the same time as Klopp's Liverpool one and put 2 and 2 together. It will all depend on how well he does at Rangers though, not a chance he would turn down the Liverpool job if he ever gets offered it.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When it was speculated that LJ had lost the dressing room, or struggled to manage "big name" players, it was often suggested that players looked at him and asked what had he ever achieved as a player, i'e' he had no credibility with them.

I wonder whether some fans are thinking that that element would be taken away with someone like Gerrard.

Other than playing under top managers and coaches, I don't see that a playing career is necessarily an indicator of someone's ability as a manager - just look at Wenger, Klopp and Mourinho. 

I think when managed well the vast majority of footballers are pretty easy to deal with. Once you start mismanaging them that is when the ego's come out of the box and the dressing room gives you the "what have you ever done in your career/why should I trust you?" speech. I don't think many footballers care that much what you have done in your career and/or will do whatever you tell them to do IF you are getting results and they think they are getting a fair crack but it's an easy stick to beat a Manager, particularly one who is losing games and throwing his players under the bus or not picking players who feel they should be playing, with.

However, employing a Manager who has been there and done it does take that issue away completely. All it means is that if things go wrong players simply say "he was a great player but he's a shit manager"!!!

20 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

Bit harsh but I understand the sentiment. I do get having other teams that you take an interest in, but I don’t think you can genuinely ‘support’ two or more teams in its truest sense of the word ie - whatever is in your heart!   If people genuinely have more than one team then I don’t think you will have had the experiences that make you fall in love with a club and I actually feel a bit sorry for those people. 

27 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

On the contrary, for you to think that is pathetic and pretty embarrassing. People can do whatever they want, and to insult them because it isn't the way you did it is... well, pathetic and pretty embarrassing.

9 hours ago, Superjack said:

Lots of reasons why people might have 'second' teams, Premier or not.

I have explained this on here before, but my Grandma was a Scouser and supported Everton. She died in early May 1984. Two weeks later Howard Kendall's team won the FA Cup, and that was the start of arguably the greatest Everton team of all time. She missed it. And I miss her. So I 'took up the baton', if you will.

It really boils my piss when people infer on here (not necessarily aimed at you, as I don't think that you were) that if you have an interest in another team it somehow makes you less of a City fan.

It's not a penis contest.

If it was, I'd win. ?

I think he was, he called you a *******....?

50 minutes ago, downendcity said:

That only works if he knows what he's on about - ie is actually a decent manager and not a total div 

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Must get very confusing if both supported teams play in the same league!

Yep.

Very very small time attitude but to each their own.

I always had a "second team" but nothing more than taking a particular interest in them over their opposition. I also find it of more interest to "support" a team when watching a game as a neutral.

33 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That only works if he knows what he's on about - ie is actually a decent manager and not a total div 

Often stated about what little Ferguson Morinho and Wenger achieved as players and they didn't/dont appear to have had issues.

I think a player respects a coach when it is clear they know what they are doing and treat their players like adults.

If a coach or manager loses the dressing room its probably because they fail in one or both of those qualities.

13 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Lots of city fans I know tend to also support Liverpool as their Prem team. I wonder if that is why many are so keen for SG.

He’d be an exciting/risky appointment but think there are better options, such as Hughton.

Embarrassing.

10 hours ago, Superjack said:

Lots of reasons why people might have 'second' teams, Premier or not.

I have explained this on here before, but my Grandma was a Scouser and supported Everton. She died in early May 1984. Two weeks later Howard Kendall's team won the FA Cup, and that was the start of arguably the greatest Everton team of all time. She missed it. And I miss her. So I 'took up the baton', if you will.

It really boils my piss when people infer on here (not necessarily aimed at you, as I don't think that you were) that if you have an interest in another team it somehow makes you less of a City fan.

It's not a penis contest.

If it was, I'd win. ?

My grandad was similar, he didnt really support anyone but he had soft spots for teams that I carried on for a while.

I don't have a second team at all (other than non-league home town) but I do tend to get behind any teams with a strong English core or blooding the young english players.

E.g. I liked Spurs when they had Walker, Rose, Trippier, Ali, Winks, Dier, Kane all playing fairly regular and Poch had them playing good football. finishing 2nd.

I like watching City when Walker, Stones, Sterling, Foden are playing

I wanted Liverpool to win the league as I think it's good for TAA, Gomez, Ox, Lallana (as well as the fringe youngsters) and then you've got Hendo and Milner who I think deserve success for being top athletes.

There'd be absolutely no conflict of interest if we played any of them though

2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

On the contrary, for you to think that is pathetic and pretty embarrassing. People can do whatever they want, and to insult them because it isn't the way you did it is... well, pathetic and pretty embarrassing.

Yeah whatever mate, if someone says to me they support Bristol City and Manchester United then I lose all respect for them as a human being.

13 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

Yeah whatever mate, if someone says to me they support Bristol City and Manchester United then I lose all respect for them as a human being.

Its like wanting a second cock, because your cock is too small.

I like Spurs, my Dad was a fan. I'd hope we'd ******* smash them if we ever played them

I always seem to pick up a soft spot for a random lower league club every season as well, might be because they've signed someone who I like as a player, ex City player, young lad there on loan, had a good away day there with City etc. That changes pretty much every season. Shrewsbury were my team this year, until the FA Cup draw!

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Its like wanting a second cock, because your cock is too small.

? ?

So, back to Mr Gerrard.

There are no guarantees of success whoever we appoint.

If we can grin and bear being referred to as "Steven Gerrard's Bristol City" I think it would be a good appointment. What this club needs more than anything is the raising of its profile in the football world. Even if SG didn't eventually cut the mustard, the fact that he left Rangers to join us is a sea change in our standing and reputation which would stand us in good stead for future recruitment of players, managers, coaching staff and even fans.

And you never know, SG might be our manager in the Premier League for many years to come.

Archived