IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, hadn’t realised he was protestant.  

I remember walking out of Anfield behind a group of Liverpool fans not long after they’d bought Dalglish and they were moaning about thr club ‘wasting all thst money on on him and they should have spent it on a new defence instead’.

So reckon you’re right on that one ?

Crazy to think that £440k was a British transfer record! But what a player he was - he’s still in the top two ‘away’ players I’ve seen at Ashton Gate ...

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

If we have spoken to Gerrard . Do you really think they’d interview him at Ashton gate . We would probably meet him somewhere neutral 

I'd think Gerrard (or any new gaffer) would probably want to see the training facilities, stadium etc, could be initial talks over interest had already taken place. 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

If we have spoken to Gerrard . Do you really think they’d interview him at Ashton gate . We would probably meet him somewhere neutral 

Hughton was interviewed in a forest in Hertfordshire. ?

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Crazy to think that £440k was a British transfer record! But what a player he was - he’s still in the top two ‘away’ players I’ve seen at Ashton Gate ...

That’s inflation for you, football style!
Yes definitely a superb player as you say and the scousers eventually realised what a gem they had.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Probably been mentioned but SG is on approx £2.5M a year.  We’re not going to pay + that, are we? 

If that's true then its pointless talking about him. We aint matching that let alone paying the necessary compo. And he aint gonna do us a favour and take a 50% cut. Unless we are offering a massive promotion bonus. 

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Probably been mentioned but SG is on approx £2.5M a year.  We’re not going to pay + that, are we? 

Can Rangers afford that? Can Rangers risk paying that after the last crisis? I can't see that being accurate. But if it is I would hope we wouldn't pay that. But still maybe this would sway a few Liverpool talents our way.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

After mulling this over for a few days I think I've finally convinced myself that Gerrard is likely Lansdown's top target and he'll try and do a deal for him first.

If that doesn't work out then Hughton is the fallback.

IMO.

I mean, that’s not a bad fall back!

Think you may be right though. Just hope something happens sooner rather than later.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

After mulling this over for a few days I think I've finally convinced myself that Gerrard is likely Lansdown's top target and he'll try and do a deal for him first.

IMO.

Gerrard snubs us, Fulham snaffle Hughton in the meantime, welcome to BS3 Mr Appleton

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

No way are Rangers paying that, I want proof!

As Jack Nicholson once said:

You want proof?

You can't handle the proof!

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I’ve seen reports of £2.5m, but I’ve also seen some comment that he was actually on £1m as a basic, with £2.5m as a bonus if he won the league. 

Knowing Rangers’ need for financial prudence these days, and the fact this was a rookie manager, I’m inclined to lean towards the latter, ie £1m with £2.5m bonus. I can’t possibly see Rangers paying a rookie £2.5m basic. No chance. 

The average player salary at Rangers is less than half the lowest prem team, and the lowest prem teams pay their managers between £500k-£1m. 

Makes zero sense that Rangers would be in a position to pay a rookie £2.5m. 

Just now, ollywhyte said:

Rangers play Lyon in a friendly tomorrow. Be interesting to see if Gerrard is there and if he conducts a pre/post match press conference

He's travelled with their squad, there are photo's of him on their website confirming this so if he is the top target then nothing appears imminent.

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

IMO.

I think you are right @Kid in the Riot and I don’t think the money required would be an issue to SL. He could always be employed ‘off the books’.

I think SG might want a way out, he will not want to be the Rangers Manager If Celtic win 10 in a row, which is almost inevitable as the Teddy Bears are broke.

Archived