IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Hughton 5/4 and drifting

Gerrard 6/4 and shortening 

Skybet.

All could change if @Davefevs decides to influence the market with his heavy betting of course.

Happy with either personally but I think the club (SL) would probably prefer Gerrard.

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Hughton 5/4 and drifting

Skybet.

All could change if @Davefevs decides to influence the market with his heavy betting of course.

Happy with either personally but I think the club (SL) would probably prefer Gerrard.

He’s polishing and kissing his pound coin for luck. 

To me it doesn't make sense to go for Gerrard if it's just Gerrard or Hughton to choose from. 

Only managerial experience is at Rangers where he has won nothing. He's contracted there so we will need to pay for compensation. Yes he's managed a big club and did guide Rangers to their first win over Celtic since 2012 but Hughton has 2 promotions from the championship, has premiership experience and is unemployed so we won't need to pay compensation. 

If the Hughton deal doesn't come off then I wouldn't be upset if we got Gerrard but Hughton should be the first choice. 

This is a mistake. It screams of the David James situation where SL wanted someone, anyone to boast our PR, regardless of the impact it would have on the pitch.

James was a calamity. Using the Fat Frank model of 18/19 Derby, I don’t see much difference here. Short termist loans from Liverpool will not get us autos, and the playoffs have never been our friend. We’ll see the same rookie mistakes we saw from LJ and Fat Frank, and no pathway for the academy as we’ll become Liverpool’s pathway instead. Add in the managers fee and Liverpool’s fines and it’s not even the cheap option. Do the right thing and bring in Hughton 

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

To me it doesn't make sense to go for Gerrard if it's just Gerrard or Hughton to choose from. 

Only managerial experience is at Rangers where he has won nothing. He's contracted there so we will need to pay for compensation. Yes he's managed a big club and did guide Rangers to their first win over Celtic since 2012 but Hughton has 2 promotions from the championship, has premiership experience and is unemployed so we won't need to pay compensation. 

If the Hughton deal doesn't come off then I wouldn't be upset if we got Gerrard but Hughton should be the first choice. 

You’ve got to start somewhere 

Gerrard would be a very good appointment IMO and fits our mould more than a Hughton would. Hughton would obviously be the less risky option but Gerrard just seems like a similar type of appointment to LJ just a massive upgrade.

Would be delighted with either

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

After mulling this over for a few days I think I've finally convinced myself that Gerrard is likely Lansdown's top target and he'll try and do a deal for him first.

If that doesn't work out then Hughton is the fallback.

IMO.

Are you thinking this might be as much for commercial reasons as on the pitch considerations?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Are you thinking this might be as much for commercial reasons as on the pitch considerations?

It will lift the clubs profile around the football world.....but not so sure it will lift us into the promised land?

5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Using the Fat Frank model of 18/19 Derby

Such a staggering failure that Chelsea got him the first chance they had. where he continues to fail and blunder into the third best team in the country.

3 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

This is a mistake. It screams of the David James situation where SL wanted someone, anyone to boast our PR, regardless of the impact it would have on the pitch.

James was a calamity. Using the Fat Frank model of 18/19 Derby, I don’t see much difference here. Short termist loans from Liverpool will not get us autos, and the playoffs have never been our friend. We’ll see the same rookie mistakes we saw from LJ and Fat Frank, and no pathway for the academy as we’ll become Liverpool’s pathway instead. Add in the managers fee and Liverpool’s fines and it’s not even the cheap option. Do the right thing and bring in Hughton 

I do wonder sometimes that SL wants the club to ‘look good’ rather than be successful on the pitch. It’s all about the appearance and brand. 

Stevie G would be exciting but a risk, is that risk really necessary when we have all the options of proven successful managers available?

Not so sure.

Bringing in this type of appointment is a huge gamble whilst at the same time boosting the profile of the club.

Appointing an experienced successful coach like Hughton would also boost the profile of the club whilst being less of a gamble.

Gerard would create a media buzz and put our club in the spotlight but is that necessarily the best thing for us ?

We are used to ‘ flying under the radar ‘ suddenly we would become the team everyone wants to beat , raising their game to show SG just how good they are. 

Are City about to become ‘ fashionable ‘ ? 

26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Hughton 5/4 and drifting

Skybet.

Thought that said heavy petting. 

Thought it was a bit of an extreme way to influence the betting market ?

15 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Who knows what the board’s thoughts are. But we don’t know Hughton wants it; another theory is that he’s waiting to see what happens at Fulham too.

And anyway, it all seems to be speculation without inside knowledge. For all we know, we’re actually interviewing Lowe, Cotterill and Holloway.

15 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Short termist loans from Liverpool will not get us autos....... and no pathway for the academy as we’ll become Liverpool’s pathway instead. 

This is a salient point.

The questions remains- how important to SL is it that we have a pathway and  Vyner, Walsh, Morrell etc get to play for us, or is more about being able to “trade” those assets when they play well on loan at other clubs? 

Unbelievable if City get SG . Glasgow Rangers are a huge club but Scottish football outside of the Glasgow clubs is poor . I wasn’t excited by the appointment of SC and he done very well. Wasn’t excited by LJ . But am very excited by the prospect of Bristol City appointment SG. Also excited by CH. People have to remember who we are and who we can attract. And appointing SG surely he will be able to attract players to the club. Very excited IF he came here 

I would be happy with either Chris Hughton or Steven Gerrard. 

I feel that the style of football under Chris Hughton won’t have The same appeal to it as gerrard but he would give us a greater chance at less risk of being promoted and to be fair I wouldn’t care about style if we were competing at the top. 

However, contrary to a lot of opinion on here I feel that Gerrard has done a pretty good job up at Rangers considering it is his first ever managerial post. He has them competing in the Europa league and mid Christmas was taking the challenge straight to Celtic for the league. (Probably makes him a great fit here battling until Christmas). The connections and style of football would be an improvement on Hughton but the gamble comes on experience. I think SL is willing to take the risk on Gerrard and I feel it’s a fairly calculated one when you consider the interest it would bring to Bristol City at a time when revenue will be key. My only real concern is how long would he be here for, I can’t see him scrapping a year or two in the championship as we know he’ll be eyeing bigger things. 

But to be in this position as a City fan where we have genuine interest from so many managers is a testament to how we are run and the work that LJ has done. I would say financially, facility and stability wise we are probably up around the top places in the championship and just need that someone, whoever it is to get us over the line. 

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Who knows what the board’s thoughts are. But we don’t know Hughton wants it; another theory is that he’s waiting to see what happens at Fulham too.

And anyway, it all seems to be speculation without inside knowledge. For all we know, we’re actually interviewing Lowe, Cotterill and Holloway.

Good post, especially the Hughton theory, if we feel he doesn’t really want the job unless something else fails to materialise.

I do find it hard to reconcile Gerrard apparently looking to sign players for Rangers this week with potentially then joining us, but have absolutely no idea what’s going on.

On Oddschecker at 10.59 am  Hughton is 6/5 Gerrard 8/1...........so talk of the Liverpudlian maestro's odds falling are just not true.  Hughton is a shoo in, the bookies rarely get it wrong.   Just before i posted i checked elsewhere, and on Skybet Gerrard IS 6//4, so thats a big difference.  However I trust Oddscheckers spokesman who seems convinced Hughton is the man for us.  Confusing isn't it?

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bringing in this type of appointment is a huge gamble whilst at the same time boosting the profile of the club.

Appointing an experienced successful coach like Hughton would also boost the profile of the club whilst being less of a gamble.

Gerard would create a media buzz and put our club in the spotlight but is that necessarily the best thing for us ?

We are used to ‘ flying under the radar ‘ suddenly we would become the team everyone wants to beat , raising their game to show SG just how good they are. 

Are City about to become ‘ fashionable ‘ ? 

Imagine if you will Major that you're a young woman out in town and looking for a date (there you are in your high heels and short skirt...)

That night you get the number of two blokes. The first is called Hughton. He's a handsome enough chap, perhaps a little dull but you get the impression he's husband material.

The second is called Gerrard. He's the sexy option and he'll look great in your Instagram selfies, but you don't know if he'll treat you right. Do you give him a chance to prove himself, or is it too much of a risk?

38 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

With all due respect it’s nothing like that situation. DJ was at the end of his career, getting a last payday, didn’t really care how it went, also the club was in all sorts of problems on the field anyway.  With SG he’s joining a club with solid foundations, good squad of players, has some experience of managing one of the biggest clubs in Europe, chance to really push on as a manager so he will be determined.

Archived