IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

2 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Thanks...

But unlike Hughton, has Gerrard ever said or indicated that he would be interested?

Normally after two weeks, we get the "sources, close to.." stuff coming through.

Given that the transfer window opens in just over a week. We will need to make a decision one way or another soon.

They’re definitely keeping this one nailed down tight as you say.

You’d think after two weeks, there would be some whispers coming out from an ITK or on social media regarding a club preference or front runner, 

One thing looks certain. Any hope that getting rid of LJ before the end of the season would allow us to strike early with our new appointment are shrinking fast.  

It now looks like we’ll be dragged into competition with the rest of the clubs who’ll be looking for new managers from next week onwards, which won’t make the job any easier.

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

You’d think after two weeks, there would be some whispers coming out from an ITK or on social media regarding a club preference or front runner, 

One thing looks certain. Any hope that getting rid of LJ before the end of the season would allow us to strike early with our new appointment are shrinking fast.  

It now looks like we’ll be dragged into competition with the rest of the clubs who’ll be looking for new managers from next week onwards, which won’t make the job any easier.

Robbie Fowler arrived in the uk today from oz. he has been appointed head coach of an English football club yet to be disclosed 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Robbie Fowler arrived in the uk today from oz. he has been appointed head coach of an English football club yet to be disclosed 

...... thanks Oz, but rumours like that aren’t the sort I was hoping for, so I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that one!!!

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Theres a lad at work whose a big Derby fan and quite sensible, and he was explaining to me that Bet32 have a clause in their sponsorship where they pay the wages of a "marquee signing". Guess who wears number 32!

Bet36532 have a similar clause in their sponsorship deal.

The club has signed Akinfenwa to wear the shirt number!

It’s true, he did quite well at Brisbane Roar. On the OZ ABC last nights news it was mentioned. He has a job back in the UK and relocating back with his four kids. No indication though which club has taken him. I think he would suit an up and coming League 1 club personally 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Theres a lad at work whose a big Derby fan and quite sensible, and he was explaining to me that Bet32 have a clause in their sponsorship where they pay the wages of a "marquee signing". Guess who wears number 32!

OK but that'll show as sponsorship income from Bet32 and wages going out and both the playing wages and coaching wages will count towards FFP - only point I was making is there's no FFP benefit to saying they're separate.

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

...... thanks Oz, but rumours like that aren’t the sort I was hoping for, so I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that one!!!

66/1 to be our manager - if @City ozis correct I suspect he’ll be going to Brum or an outside chance Tranmere? Cook is going to Burnley be interesting to see who is our choice 

11 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Agreed. The painfully slow process of recruitment will possibly lead to us losing out on some of the best candidates. It would be nice to hope that after all of this that they pick the best option but I have no confidence in that happening. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why?

Knowing the Lansdown s they have there man all ready. Not sure why but I suspect they will wait until the end of the month to make the announcement. 

They are probably looking at these threads with humour as they have got us all going big time.

im looking forward to it whoever it is. 

5 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Agreed. The painfully slow process of recruitment will possibly lead to us losing out on some of the best candidates. It would be nice to hope that after all of this that they pick the best option but I have no confidence in that happening. 

Completely agree and the only consolation is, being City fans, we’re well used to the inevitable disappointment!

Regards the slow recruitment process, Gregor is today reporting that City were waiting to discover which division we would be in - I could have told them that, the daft sods!

Contrary to the 'brace yourself' intel received by @Kid in the Riot, Gregor reckons the process will take up to 10 more days. Maybe today's news will be about sponsorship or kit?

Gregor still describing Gerrard as "unlikely", although he then curiously states that we were impressed by Lampard at Derby. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-step-up-search-4335243?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Regards the slow recruitment process, Gregor is today reporting that City were waiting to discover which division we would be in - I could have told them that, the daft sods!

Contrary to the 'brace yourself' intel received by @Kid in the Riot, Gregor reckons the process will take up to 10 more days. Maybe today's news will be about sponsorship or kit?

Gregor still describing Gerrard as "unlikely", although he then curiously states that we were impressed by Lampard at Derby. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-step-up-search-4335243?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Glad that Gregor has scotched these ridiculous Gerrard rumours

11 minutes ago, daored said:

66/1 to be our manager - if @City ozis correct I suspect he’ll be going to Brum or an outside chance Tranmere? Cook is going to Burnley be interesting to see who is our choice 

Yes, was hoping it was probably Brum, so that should knacker them for next year.

Interesting if Cook goes to Burnley.  Obviously right in his geographical area, but would be a huge jump for him.

I’m still hanging my hopes on Hughton for us, but with him being unattached and still not landed yet, it makes you wonder if he isn’t impressed with what we have to offer and is waiting to see what other jobs crop up at the end of the season.  

I wonder how far down our list we’ll have to sink and it makes you shudder when you see some of those names on there.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

saw that earlier, and if true I'm (not) surprised. Didnt it take 20 days to appoint LJ? At some clubs they'd have hired and sacked the bloody manager in that time. I still prepare to be disappointed, and despite the chatter about Steve Gerrard and Chris Hughton, I feel the next manager will arrive via Lulsgate on a flight from the continent and when announced we'll all have to google him, and by then he'll want time to assess the squad and oooh errr that's the first transfer window gone. 

They built the opportunity by shooing LJ out the door and then waste the opportunity by wasting an inane amount of time over his replacement. 

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

Glad that Gregor has scotched these ridiculous Gerrard rumours

He hasn’t - he doesn’t get inside information any quicker than it appears on here. I like him as a journalist but he’s not particularly reliable for scoops. Ali Durden is still the main local journo for inside info.

4 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, was hoping it was probably Brum, so that should knacker them for next year.

Interesting if Cook goes to Burnley.  Obviously right in his geographical area, but would be a huge jump for him.

I’m still hanging my hopes on Hughton for us, but with him being unattached and still not landed yet, it makes you wonder if he isn’t impressed with what we have to offer and is waiting to see what other jobs crop up at the end of the season.  

I wonder how far down our list we’ll have to sink and it makes you shudder when you see some of those names on there.

He was an ex player for Burnley , done a good job at Wigan but I would worry for Burnley if Dyche left (which looks likely). I agree with your comments about Hughton , as an out of work manager if we’re interested then you would expect discussions have taken place , wages, bonus, budget for players. If he is our choice it makes no sense in not having him around the club watching games , getting him know players , speaking to Holden &  Jamie MaC

3 minutes ago, daored said:

He was an ex player for Burnley , done a good job at Wigan but I would worry for Burnley if Dyche left (which looks likely). I agree with your comments about Hughton , as an out of work manager if we’re interested then you would expect discussions have taken place , wages, bonus, budget for players. If he is our choice it makes no sense in not having him around the club watching games , getting him know players , speaking to Holden &  Jamie MaC

Yes, if we were in for Hughton, there certainly shouldn’t have been too many obsticles in the way of getting that done quickly, so that one’s looking less likely by the day imho.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, could you explain this comment?  What balls up?  What do you know about the way the recruitment process is being carried out?  What do you know has gone wrong?

Just my opinion,but based on what happened when Johnson was appointed

39 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Painfully slow??  If you want to recruit a senior manager in any other industry you’re talking about a process that could last three months at least, sometimes longer.  Lee Johnson was sacked 13 days ago.  How long does it take to attract expressions of interest; identify suitable candidates; carry out interviews; identify the preferred candidate; offer the job; negotiate arrangements regarding the existing set-up; discuss the position of existing senior staff; negotiate a contract; carry out due diligence?  If you can do that lot in a month then you’re doing phenomenally well.  The only reason clubs ever make quick appointments is because they’ve already done the work prior to the previous person being sacked, and I would sincerely hope that we are not that sort of club.  I want the club to take as long as it takes to make the right appointment.  

3 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

Just my opinion,but based on what happened when Johnson was appointed

Come on, you mentioned a balls up.  What balls up?

Martin keown was just singing out praises on talksport saying we are a big club and need to be/ should be back in the big time. This was after the other guest calling bristol a backwater for football and couldn't see Gerard entertaining coming here at all.

Keown said he give up his media work to manage us and there isn't many clubs he would do that for

Archived