IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think Lee Johnson was a different case.  Clearly he was firmly in Lansdown’s mind and his strong links to the club meant that the selection process could be substantially foreshortened.  But this time you have to go back to the sacking of Gary Johnson for a strong parallel and Lansdown must have the Steve Coppell affair at the forefront of his mind.  We really need to get this one right.  I imagine that we will already have contacted a number of preferred candidates and if they are subsequently offered a job elsewhere, then that’s up to them.  People are making the process sound a bit like trapping an animal, but the fact is that our preferred candidate might not want to join us and may prefer to take another job.  No one who really wants the job is going to take a job elsewhere in the meantime.  If the prefer to go elsewhere, then let them go and let’s get someone who really wants to work at Bristol City.

Good post.

None of us have a clue why we haven’t moved sooner with Hughton, he could have asked us for ridiculous wages, given the impression we aren’t his first choice or we may not have felt he was the right fit.

He might still end up getting the job, only those involved here (so none of us) truly know. My hunch is that it won’t be him but that means nothing.

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5821940/rangers-steven-gerrard-no-interest-bristol-city/

Seems it's Jim WHite's view on the subject rather than a SG statement, Jim WHite is pretty well connected though so likely to be accurate.

Seems like a real non-statement. Just Jim White's opinion. Of course until Rangers are approached Gerrard this would be the line "It is our understanding that Steven Gerrard will be staying with Rangers as he has absolutely no interest in being anywhere else other than at Rangers." 

1 minute ago, ChubStixx said:

That's that then.

No, it isn't. This has been misunderstood and (predictably) people are now taking it as gospel without thinking laterally. 

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5821940/rangers-steven-gerrard-no-interest-bristol-city/

Seems it's Jim WHite's view on the subject rather than a SG statement, Jim WHite is pretty well connected though so likely to be accurate.

Loves to drop a name or two does Jim. An irritating ****** at the best of times.

2 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Good point.

Seems to me, that judging by the article in the post today; they were holding onto a wing and a prayer of getting into the playoffs before deciding. 

That would naturally indicate to me, that the budget for the new manager is an issue; and that at this stage they are unwilling to pay the higher wages being asked for.

Maybe with the finances being what they are, we simply can't afford a number of the options being mentioned

We may have to lower our expectations, as to what is affordable at this present time.

While there was a chance of the play offs, had we made it and reached the final, I doubt they would have wanted to upset the equilibrium of the squad and coaching team by parachuting someone in.

Had we miraculously won through to promotion then it would make us much more attractive and bring a whole lot of different and more experienced managers, If, as has happened we fell short, then we go ahead with those that fit us and us them.

As a premier league team the budget would be there for the higher profile manager we could have attracted. As a championship club we will be subject to the same type of budgetary constraints as will the majority of clubs - possibly better because of the sustainability model e have in place. A manager demanding more than we can afford will have to go to club that has the money, and I don;t think there's so many of them at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seems like a real non-statement. Just Jim White's opinion. Of course until Rangers are approached Gerrard this would be the line "It is our understanding that Steven Gerrard will be staying with Rangers as he has absolutely no interest in being anywhere else other than at Rangers.

That holds as much weight as a vote of confidence! I wouldn't count him out based on that alone.

Just now, ChubStixx said:

"But it's never struck me as a hotbed of football passion in the way that Glasgow is and Liverpool is and Manchester is."

Bristol if hotbed of football passion. It's just that a significant chunk of its residents prefer to back Liverpool or Manchester.

Well compared to those cities, of course not! 

We haven’t won xx amount of trophies like they have. What a poor comparison.

9 minutes ago, Winston said:

Jim White is an absolute whopper who likes to think he’s in the know. I don’t particularly want SG, but at the same time I wouldn’t believe anything that Jim White or Talksport say.

Is it still even called Talksport? or have they changed name to Talk Brentford

The only thing I still like about it is Hawkesby and Jacobs. They are funny guys. Smart and really funny.

6 minutes ago, Winston said:

Jim White is an absolute whopper who likes to think he’s in the know. I don’t particularly want SG, but at the same time I wouldn’t believe anything that Jim White or Talksport say.

Jim White has got his tongue so far up everyone’s ass it’s embarrassing- hearing him the other day trying to defend Billy Joe Saunders for his video of how to hit your wife was awful. Almost as bad as our politicians trying to explain going for a drive to test your eyesight  

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Loves to drop a name or two does Jim. An irritating ****** at the best of times.

One of the nicest things anyone’s said about him.

The bloke is a complete cock, full of self Importance, pretending to be In the know on every single detail of football. 
He shouts his way through his radio show on the times I’ve been unfortunate to hear a little bit of it, don’t get me started on the farce that is deadline day when he sits there with his phone On the table getting ‘messages’ from players and agents In his stupid yellow tie, Bellowing out his ‘breaking news’ that Man U/ Man City/ Arsenal won’t be signing anyone on this deadline day... after they’ve said all transfer window they won’t be signing anyone!!!! 

Hate the bloke, turns out he’s a real trigger for me! ?

25 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Good point.

Seems to me, that judging by the article in the post today; they were holding onto a wing and a prayer of getting into the playoffs before deciding. 

That would naturally indicate to me, that the budget for the new manager is an issue; and that at this stage they are unwilling to pay the higher wages being asked for.

Maybe with the finances being what they are, we simply can't afford a number of the options being mentioned

We may have to lower our expectations, as to what is affordable at this present time.

That could well be true and would fit with our past record of wasting silly money on player punts, but not recognising the investment value in recruiting a quality manager.

5 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Please let it be true, SG is not the sort of managerial material this club needs, no better than Johnson ie a rookie who’s won nothing in the game.

You sure ‘bout dat? 

1 hour ago, newarkred said:

Just heard on Talk sport that Gerrard has come out and said he’s not interested in the job and wants to stay with Rangers 

I expect him announced at 5pm them if that absolute crock of shite have said it's not happening

2 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I was thinking exactly the same...

The level of delusion in this thread has been amusing in parts and cringeworthy in others.

Say what you like about the SPL but we are talking Bristol City poaching the manager of Glasgow Rangers which is a truly massive club, and despite all the annual pre season bollocks we are still an upper/mid table Championship side which does not splash the cash like others in the division.

People going on about our brilliant squad, fantastic stadium and world class training facilities, plus Bristol being some kind of Garden of Eden and that Gerard would be daft not to drop everything and head south ffs.

If Gerard was to be tempted to come to the Championship, it would likely be to a relegated Prem side with lots of parachute money because he would then have a fair chance of taking them back up.

I doubt he was ever even approached.

7 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

The level of delusion in this thread has been amusing in parts and cringeworthy in others.

Say what you like about the SPL but we are talking Bristol City poaching the manager of Glasgow Rangers which is a truly massive club, and despite all the annual pre season bollocks we are still an upper/mid table Championship side which does not splash the cash like others in the division.

People going on about our brilliant squad, fantastic stadium and world class training facilities, plus Bristol being some kind of Garden of Eden and that Gerard would be daft not to drop everything and head south ffs.

If Gerard was to be tempted to come to the Championship, it would likely be to a relegated Prem side with lots of parachute money because he would then have a fair chance of taking them back up.

...but it's delusion and unfounded speculation that keeps the forum alive.

Nothing to do with Jim White - I heard about Gerrard on TalkSport before White took over at 11.

It wasn't just about him having no interest in the City job, he's not interested in leaving Rangers for any other club.

Keown spoke heroically on BCFC's behalf when the other guest belittled the club (imo.) although comparing football passion in Glasgow, Liverpool etc. with Bristol was ridiculous in the first place.

15 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Get back under your rock.

You don't come on this forum and spout logical common sense - it's not the done thing at all!

My only caveat is that with the impact of ffp and now coronavirus, other than clubs with parachute payments, there won't be many splashing the cash any more than us for the immediate future.

Archived