IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

17 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

I think his name is Bob mills, go and give him some grief ?

Ah that’s a shame. I quite like Mills. 
Jim White is an utter ***, but Mills is ok. 

I’ve now read his comments and he does say “meaning no disrespect”, so seems fair. 

Gerrard has now officially ruled himself out of the City job , saying that having read OTIB he realises that he's proved a failure as Bristol City manager before even starting the job.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Get back under your rock.

You don't come on this forum and spout logical common sense - it's not the done thing at all!

My only caveat is that with the impact of ffp and now coronavirus, other than clubs with parachute payments, there won't be many splashing the cash any more than for the immediate future.

Quite so, and I daresay if anyone came in for Gerard, Rangers would expect (and get) millions in compo which I cannot believe many clubs ay our level could justify for the reasons you cite.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Gerrard has now officially ruled himself out of the City job , saying that having read OTIB he realises that he's proved a failure as Bristol City manager before even starting the job.

He hasn’t though. Rangers refused to comment on the speculation and all talksport said was “its their understanding that he’s not interested”. It’s not like Talksport have never got anything wrong...

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nothing to do with Jim White - I heard about Gerrard on TalkSport before White took over at 11.

It wasn't just about him having no interest in the City job, he's not interested in leaving Rangers for any other club.

Keown spoke heroically on BCFC's behalf when the other guest belittled the club (imo.) although comparing football passion in Glasgow, Liverpool etc. with Bristol was ridiculous in the first place.

This.

We’re not blessed with past and present glories of the Cities he has mentioned. What does he expect?

Really poor comparison. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Painfully slow??  If you want to recruit a senior manager in any other industry you’re talking about a process that could last three months at least, sometimes longer.  Lee Johnson was sacked 13 days ago.  

You are correct - in any other industry that would be the case but it is very unusual in footballing terms

In football you don't have to go through all the advertising of the roll etc it is on a plate for you, and any club worth anything would always have a plan on future recruitment should the Manager need replacing.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just to add that Cotterill was sacked on 14th January 2016.  Johnson was appointed on 6th February 2016.  That is 23 days.  There have only been 13 days since Johnson was sacked

One big difference in the above was because of the Christmas break delayed getting him free of Barnsley

Many others will confirm on here that he was lined up to replace Cotts long before SC got the boot, and it was one of the worst kept secrets in and around football

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

This.

We’re not blessed with past and present glories of the Cities he has mentioned. What does he expect?

Really poor comparison. 

You could probably only compare Liverpool to Glasgow perhaps and even then,  its at another level up there although the sectarian element undoubtedly adds to the "passion" so not entirely football.

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Do you have to have won shedloadsof trophies for the place to be a hotbed of footballing passion? Serious question. 

Good question, although I have wondered in the past whether Liverpool would be such a hotbed if both teams had in the main been as crap as the two in Bristol throughout their history and vice versa.

1 minute ago, phil_clevedon said:

Is it possible we could be waiting till the end of the PL season, Sunday week, as there may be a couple of other contenders at that stage - Dyche and Howe for example?

Why would Dyce come here ?

1 minute ago, Natchfever said:

Good question, although I have wondered in the past whether Liverpool would be such a hotbed if both teams had in the main been as crap as the two in Bristol throughout their history and vice versa.

Why would Dyce come here ?

Rumours are he's leaving Burnley this summer due to difference of opinion with owner. Not saying he would come here, just an example of potential other names that have the sort of experience we would surely be looking for.

1 minute ago, phil_clevedon said:

Rumours are he's leaving Burnley this summer due to difference of opinion with owner. Not saying he would come here, just an example of potential other names that have the sort of experience we would surely be looking for.

Fair dos. I was aware he'd apparently had a fallout but I reckon his stock (and cost) is a bit higher than us at present.

5 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

We are regarded as a footballing backwater I’m afraid but that can change.  Sustained top flight football is key.  Dare I say we are now an established Championship club but we need to kick on.  It takes years.  Leeds/Forest  didn’t do anything pre 70’s?

• Admin
12 minutes ago, phil_clevedon said:

Is it possible we could be waiting till the end of the PL season, Sunday week, as there may be a couple of other contenders at that stage - Dyche and Howe for example?

Can't see either wanting to step back into a lower league, especially as we won't be massive payers

8 minutes ago, phil_clevedon said:

To West Ham would be my bet

2 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

We are regarded as a footballing backwater I’m afraid but that can change.  Sustained top flight football is key.  Dare I say we are now an established Championship club but we need to kick on.  It takes years.  Leeds/Forest  didn’t do anything pre 70’s?

Leeds and Forest had better histories than us I think but I take your point entirely.

Like everywhere, we have some very passionate fans although I sense like you we need a prolonged spell f relative success to light the fuse.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

To West Ham would be my bet

Their fans are a bit up their own asses still about "the west ham way" of playing though, and whether due to necessity or not, Dyce plays a pretty pragmatic brand of football so wouldn't be popular I think.

He is certainly a proven PL manager now though so shouldn't be short of offers.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Please let it be true, SG is not the sort of managerial material this club needs, no better than Johnson ie a rookie who’s won nothing in the game.

?

He won Champions League final almost on his own.

Same in FA Cup. After an in and out start to his career, Houllier put him on the right path to success. And oh boy, what a career as a leader.

It doesn't guarantee managerial success but SG is a winner!

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

?

He won Champions League final almost on his own.

Same in FA Cup. After an in and out start to his career, Houllier put him on the right path to success. And oh boy, what a career as a leader.

It doesn't guarantee managerial success but SG is a winner!

I don't think it will happen but one difference (amongst many) between Johnson and Gerrard is the quality of coaches worked under as players and the lessons learned from those experiences.

"While it was under Gérard Houllier that Gerrard made his senior debut, in Rafa Benítez, Roy Hodgson, Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers he also worked with several highly respected managers at Liverpool, and he was also selected for England by Kevin Keegan, Sven-Göran Eriksson, Steve McClaren, Fabio Capello and Hodgson."

Nuff said...

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I expect him announced at 5pm them if that absolute crock of shite have said it's not happening

If true........Hallelujah!  We don't need an apprentice manager at the moment, we need someone experienced and with a proven track record

24 minutes ago, phil_clevedon said:

I think we are waiting until after PNE game next week. Gives the new manager a chance to watch players without added stress of knowing a microscope is pointing at them.

• Admin
2 hours ago, kevster3 said:

Only Ashton and the Lansdowns could make such a balls up of the recruitment process

Unless of course they recruit "their" first choice

2 hours ago, kevster3 said:

Just a feeling of history repeating itself,before Johnson was appointed,Ashton said the club would do due diligence,but as far as I am aware,noone else was interviewed,having sacked Johnson when they did,surely they must have had candidates they were interested in,otherwise why not wait till the end of the season

Sadly this was the case, and I understand where you are coming from in that the appointment was very uninspriring

But we probably see things massively different to what they do

I don't know how many times it has to be said that prices on this sort of thing depend on where the money is being placed and very little else.  There will obviously be some exceptions in that Hughton is a realistic contender, whereas Sir Alex Ferguson isn't for example.  Which is why SAF would be 5000/1....  Money being placed on him would bring him into 500/1, but that is all, whereas contenders deemed possible will see their prices fluctuate wildly as money is thrown about.  As we've seen.  Prices on the whole are merely an indication of who people think might be appointed, followed by bookies mitigating their losses should that be the case.

Archived