IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure who cannot see that.  Would be a weird world if we all agreed.  People don’t have to agree with others however eloquently their point is written. 

You are just proving you don’t really read what has been written!!  

35 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Reckon you're spot on.

Gerard doesn't need to take a backward step and a move to us certainly would be that.

Either he hopes a prem team move for him or he'll have to move to the championship, there's little he can do to be successful at Rangers outside beating Celtic for the title but given the wage difference that could be a huge task and take years. I think sooner or later he'll have to look towards the championship as his route to the premier league unless a team 15th-20th is willing to take a punt on him in the prem.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

That was funny. So you think LJ was interviewed ! What over Sunday lunch ? There was no process, LJ was set up long before SC was fired, Ashton was told who had the job. It was a huge charade and to think otherwise is hilarious. The truth is sadly there. If MA wants to sit a lie detector on that one let's get it on. How many other candidates did MA interview ? Tell me who were the unsuccessful applicants ? Who actually sat down and had an interview ? LJ was a personal choice of SL and had zero to do with interview process or strategy. 

It is old ground and the result a catastrophic failure of trying to outspend the inability of the coach to compensate for his lack of ability. 

Believe what you like, there's just no point in responding. 

BTW has anyone told you the world isn't flat? 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Would the kit man qualify too as he would have heard as much?

He also went on to work as a coach and was assistant under Robson as well at Sporting and Porto, so yeah pretty sure he heard more than the kitman

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

If the odds for Alex Ferguson come down to 500/1 I’m going to place a bet. Remember the 1981 third ashes test match when, at one point, bookies were offering 500/1 for England win. Thanks to Ian Botham and Bob Willis England won. 

...I think Im right in saying that a few of the Aussie players put a fee bob on the England win when the odds were that good!

3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

That was funny. So you think LJ was interviewed ! What over Sunday lunch ? There was no process, LJ was set up long before SC was fired, Ashton was told who had the job. It was a huge charade and to think otherwise is hilarious. The truth is sadly there. If MA wants to sit a lie detector on that one let's get it on. How many other candidates did MA interview ? Tell me who were the unsuccessful applicants ? Who actually sat down and had an interview ? LJ was a personal choice of SL and had zero to do with interview process or strategy. 

It is old ground and the result a catastrophic failure of trying to outspend the inability of the coach to compensate for his lack of ability. 

Thats got to be the biggest load of bullocks I've read on here for a long long time

I wanted johnson out and was calling for it last season

But let's talk a out his ability 

He turned a relegation threaten and lets face it looked very likely at the time club,

Into an established championshit club, that actually went on cup runs after years of alling at the first hurdle 

Explain  his inability to coach?

The fact that nearly  every player to play under him improved massively so much so we were able to command massive fees for the

You confuse inability to coach with tactically inept,

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

There is zero positive correlation on any of it.  Impossible for us to know which players will make good managers  

Spot on,my next door neighbour who runs a company would more than likely be a better football manager than Ronaldo or Messi but he won’t be given a chance,the sooner we appoint a manager the better tho because these threads are almost as painful to read as watching City try to play football under Johnson 

49 minutes ago, downendcity said:

...I think Im right in saying that a few of the Aussie players put a fee bob on the England win when the odds were that good!

Yes  - Dennis Lillee and Rodney Marsh 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2001/aug/13/cricket.comment

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But you’re making out that Gerrard is a newbie manager.  He’s had 2 years with Rangers where he’s building his skills.

Nobody is saying there’s a direct correlation, but if you have an aptitude to learn, then who better to learn from.  That’s the golden opportunity he’s been given.  We’ve not got a clear view as to whether he’s taken that onboard or not.  But he certainly hasn’t failed at Rangers like Adams did in several jobs after brief early success at Wycombe.  

I wrote some time ago that all the lesser players that become good / top class managers (Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger, etc), all had one thing in common....they worked for managers both as players and coaches who had huge footballing principles and methodologies, in some cases were ahead of their time, often revolutionary in their way of playing..

Mourinho was a lower league pro, who of course initially went to Barca as interpreter, but then coach under Robson, followed by Van Gaal.  Pretty short managerial career before getting the Porto gig and the rest is history.

Wenger, studied under Jean-Marc Gillou a French World Cup player, and then under Michel Platini’s father as Nancy, before becoming manager of them.

Klopp, learned under Eric Rotemuller, a widely acclaimed coach who managed Cologne, and assistant manager of the German National side.

Nobody is guaranteeing Gerrard will be a success, just giving plausible reasons why he might be in the frame.

As a forum, we are massively quick to dismiss potential players and now managers. We just need to keep a more open mind, by all means have an opinion, but don’t expect everyone to be mutually agreed either.

He kept that side of his life a secret

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We did the same with Cotts didn’t we? It was just him in the frame - no one else was considered? 

Pretty sure Cotts’ appointment was entirely down to Keith Dawe, who was the chairman at the time.

After the utter disaster of SOD’s time in charge I think we were a bit shell shocked in truth, it is worth noting that Cotts’ first league game in charge saw us lose at home to Rotherham & drop to the bottom of L1, 20 games into the season & already 5 points adrift of safety.

I think by then everyone on the board had had a go at picking a manager & so it was Dawe’s turn..

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Thats got to be the biggest load of bullocks I've read on here for a long long time

He turned a relegation threaten and lets face it looked very likely at the time club,

Into an established championshit club, that actually went on cup runs after years of alling at the first hurdle 

The fact that nearly  every player to play under him improved massively so much so we were able to command massive fees for the

Freudian slip? 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

He kept that side of his life a secret

Absolutely.

I didn't know that Arsen played the female lead in Oliver!

42 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Freudian slip shit? 

7 hours ago, Lez said:

I can't see Steven Gerrard giving up Rangers for Bristol city.....in fact I cant see him coming to the champ bar a pull from a yoyo side eg Fulham west Brom villa.

Lampard did his training at derby and went prem.....Gerrard doing his at rangers and will he holding out for a prem job next.

Out of likes today ? 

28 pages and counting of total nonsense.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Decent record with young players, but some failures too....Engvall, O’Dowda, etc. Young players are likely to improve.

And what about the older players, how many of them improved?  Pack and Flint?  How many others didn’t.

Im not saying LJ was crap, he did a decent job, but I don’t think all of the credit for player improvement is down to his coaching.  Some of it yes.

17 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

I don't know how many times it has to be said that prices on this sort of thing depend on where the money is being placed and very little else.  There will obviously be some exceptions in that Hughton is a realistic contender, whereas Sir Alex Ferguson isn't for example.  Which is why SAF would be 5000/1....  Money being placed on him would bring him into 500/1, but that is all, whereas contenders deemed possible will see their prices fluctuate wildly as money is thrown about.  As we've seen.  Prices on the whole are merely an indication of who people think might be appointed, followed by bookies mitigating their losses should that be the case.

That we’re even linked with a manager of the calibre of Sir Alex Ferguson shows how much we’ve improved as a club. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Decent record with young players, but some failures too....Engvall, O’Dowda, etc. Young players are likely to improve.

And what about the older players, how many of them improved?  Pack and Flint?  How many others didn’t.

Im not saying LJ was crap, he did a decent job, but I don’t think all of the credit for player improvement is down to his coaching.  Some of it yes.

I think Flint and Pack just found their level. Neither dramatically improved when they moved and if anything Flint has regressed.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I know the odds mean nothing, but interesting that Gerrard remains at 5/4 favourite with SkyBet, even a day after Jim White’s comments. 

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You're spot on

It does mean nothing.

The whole process is very interesting.

Through this cycle numerous "respected reporters / sources" have "reported exclusives" on certain people being linked to the job.

It only takes a group of people to back this person and the odds lower. Other's then see this as an indicator that the story must be true so back it aswell.

Which in turn lowers the price even more, making the author look credible, and the bookies even richer.

Just on our appointment alone there's been a steady trickle of different names being banded about on an almost daily basis and more money going to the bookies. 

I wonder how far these stories are all connected? 

Someone releases a story, the bookies make money and the reporter gets a nice bonus? 

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

The whole process is very interesting.

Through this cycle numerous "respected reporters / sources" have "reported exclusives" on certain people being linked to the job.

It only takes a group of people to back this person and the odds lower. Other's then see this as an indicator that the story must be true so back it aswell.

Which in turn lowers the price even more, making the author look credible, and the bookies even richer.

Just on our appointment alone there's been a steady trickle of different names being banded about on an almost daily basis and more money going to the bookies. 

I wonder how far these stories are all connected? 

Someone releases a story, the bookies make money and the reporter gets a nice bonus? 

However, the top two have remained consistent as Hughton and Gerrard, for at least a week now.

Archived