IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

20 hours ago, Harry said:

With that sort of attitude young sir, I’ll have you know that Porto wouldn’t have employed Mourinho, Monaco wouldn’t have appointed Wenger, St Mirren wouldn’t have taken Ferguson, Ipswich wouldn’t have employed Bobby Robson, Dortmund wouldn’t hire Klopp. 

Thankyou for calling me young sir, much appreciated!  The relevant aspect of my posting was "at the moment".  We have just had an apprentice manager, who came in as a young man with little experience, and stayed for 4 and a half years.  I agree with your points about Mourinho etc, but i feel at this time, a manager with a track record of getting teams promoted is needed.  Just my opinion ypu understand?

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thankyou for calling me young sir, much appreciated!  The relevant aspect of my posting was "at the moment".  We have just had an apprentice manager, who came in as a young man with little experience, and stayed for 4 and a half years.  I agree with your points about Mourinho etc, but i feel at this time, a manager with a track record of getting teams promoted is needed.  Just my opinion ypu understand?

Lj was no apprentice we were his third club.

7 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

1 season at Oldham, 1 season at Barnsley.  Appointed at City when he was 34. If he wasn't exactly an apprentice, he was not an experienced manager with a long track record of success. Interprete that as you wish?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Flint and Pack just found their level. Neither dramatically improved when they moved and if anything Flint has regressed.

Yes, that’s fair comment.  Personally I think both got better under LJ, and agree that Flint had his peak years with us.  Pack may be the same.  Should Cardiff go up, would we want Pack back.  I can see an argument for him.

17 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

1 season at Oldham, 1 season at Barnsley.  Appointed at City when he was 34. If he wasn't exactly an apprentice, he was not an experienced manager with a long track record of success. Interprete that as you wish?

The problem with LJ was he didn’t do an “apprenticeship” anywhere.  SL got him the job at Oldham, he never experienced being a number 2 anywhere, learning the man-management stuff, when to play good cop / bad cop with the manager to keep the players inside, learning that your tactical ideas get rebuffed and the effect that can have etc.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, that’s fair comment.  Personally I think both got better under LJ, and agree that Flint had his peak years with us.  Pack may be the same.  Should Cardiff go up, would we want Pack back.  I can see an argument for him.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

The problem with LJ was he didn’t do an “apprenticeship” anywhere.  SL got him the job at Oldham, he never experienced being a number 2 anywhere, learning the man-management stuff, when to play good cop / bad cop with the manager to keep the players inside, learning that your tactical ideas get rebuffed and the effect that can have etc.

I think the issue with Flint is he’s a bit error prone and needs strong partners alongside him. In the defensive 3/5 under Cotterill he had complimentary defenders alongside. 

I think moving up a level and facing cleverer forwards combined with playing in a 3 less and less was to his detriment. 

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I interpret it as there's no way any other Championship club would have entertained the idea for one moment of making such an inexperienced and very average lower league manager their head coach.

Not sure how much his long and mostly unproductive stint at City has impressed the wider football world and it'll be interesting to see if any clubs at our level employ him a similar position him in future.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the issue with Flint is he’s a bit error prone and needs strong partners alongside him. In the defensive 3/5 under Cotterill he had complimentary defenders alongside. 

I think moving up a level and facing cleverer forwards combined with playing in a 3 less and less was to his detriment. 

He had his deficiencies undoubtedly.  Rarely got touch tight on the deck for fear of being spun.  He was quick, but only once he got those long legs going.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think LJ had looked more impressive when we took him on than Gerrard currently does.

Did a superb job at Oldham and had them playing fantastic football at that level. Josh Brownhill said he joined us because of seeing how LJs Oldham team played against him. He made some very clever signings there.

At Barnsley he went on an awful run but then went on a great run with a side that went on to get promoted. They were in superb form when he left.

Gerrard has spent more money than the previous manager. Improved them a bit which is to be expected with bigger budget than previous manager, and got them 2nd to the only side with a bigger budget.

From what I've read Rangers fans that want him to stay mainly do so because they want to see how he can do, giving him more time. Not because he has done a really good job so far.

But also fans want him to go or don't mind him going.

Like I said the other day, if it was any ex player and not Gerrard doing that job at Rangers, no one would want him here.

To compare what Gerrard has spent to what LJ has spent in Oldham and Barnsley is chalk and cheese. Gerrard at a club competing for SPL league winner and Europe whilst LJ was competing for promotion from old third division to winning the JPT.  Look what happened here when LJ got money we made some good signings but to each good one we’ve had an Engvall. 
Brownhill came from Preston via a loan to Barnsley. And then spent a season on the bench with LJ here. I think at that point of his career it was more about playing at a club not about best manager. 

Just because we failed in LJ (got us from relegation candidates to mid/top end of the table) does not mean every young and upcoming manager will fail. All managers great or bad start somewhere and sometimes it’s the fit that clicks. 
Gerrard may seem like a manager not experienced enough for us. Whilst Hughton who got two teams promoted to the prem as more experienced. But also in that pool of getting clubs promoted is also Hollowhead, Paul Jewel and Paul Lambert. Two of them also got their teams to stay in the Prem longer than one season whilst the other went onto a bigger club. Experience also has a down turn in fortunes. 

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

To compare what Gerrard has spent to what LJ has spent in Oldham and Barnsley is chalk and cheese. Gerrard at a club competing for SPL league winner and Europe whilst LJ was competing for promotion from old third division to winning the JPT.  Look what happened here when LJ got money we made some good signings but to each good one we’ve had an Engvall. 

Just because we failed in LJ (got us from relegation candidates to mid/top end of the table) does not mean every young and upcoming manager will fail. All managers great or bad start somewhere and sometimes it’s the fit that clicks. 
Gerrard may seem like a manager not experienced enough for us. Whilst Hughton who got two teams promoted to the prem as more experienced. But also in that pool of getting clubs promoted is also Hollowhead, Paul Jewel and Paul Lambert. Two of them also got their teams to stay in the Prem longer than one season whilst the other went onto a bigger club. But no one wants those 3

Ian Dowie took over at Palace part way through the season with them languishing in 20th place in the November. From there he took them to promotion that same season.

Just saying!

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ian Dowie took over at Palace part way through the season with them languishing in 20th place in the November. From there he took them to promotion that same season.

Just saying!

True. Some only want Hughton because he’s done it twice but Newcastle was an easy one, Brighton was impressive and the few games I saw they did look good. But then there’s the game when they was going for champions and we stopped that. 
My preference would be Jokanović, Gerrard I find intriguing simply because I’m fed up of being last on highlights shows unless we played the bigger boys. Gerrard would change that and possibly entice people into the ground (when they allow it). 
But saying all that I would be happy if we employed Hughton. 
This is the first time that we are being linked with some higher profile managers. So that alone shows we’ve progressed. 

You can over-analyse a manager’s track record (although I appreciate that is the nature of a fan’s forum). The fact is, football is as much psychological as tactical. The great managers (Shankly, SAF etc) achieved by who they were - their presence, as much as by what they did. SG has that presence, at least for our club and current players. Logically comparing stats between SG and LJ (or whoever), misses the point, or half the point at least.

54 minutes ago, DC10 said:

I understand that this isn’t how it works most of the time but not ALL managers need to experience an “apprenticeship”

??

F91B0C4C-F433-408C-856A-19957A7272A3.jpeg

But ZZ did....he managed Real Madrid B (Castilla) for 2 seasons before getting let loose on the full team. For the 4 years before getting the B Team job, he worked under Mourinho and Ancelotti with the first team.  

He served an apprenticeship!!!  He did his time.

They rarely get it handed on a plate.  They have drive and desire to get to the top, but they know they have to do the hard yards first.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I interpret it as there's no way any other Championship club would have entertained the idea for one moment of making such an inexperienced and very average lower league manager their head coach.

Not sure how much his long and mostly unproductive stint at City has impressed the wider football world and it'll be interesting to see if any clubs at our level employ him a similar position him in future.

I think its almost a guarantee he'll get another championship job, teams like Middlesbrough, Stoke, Wednesday etc would look at the job he did with us taking us from a relegation fight to being a solid top half team where 12th was considered failure and would be very happy for him to take over and do a similar job if they had a vacancy.

7 minutes ago, swanker said:

So Gerrard is going to leave Rangers and manage Bristol City. Does anyone actually believe that?

I do not. It was never an option, just some miss informed dreamers posting crap over the past 3 weeks. It’s Dowie or Robbie Fowler my money is on.

11 minutes ago, swanker said:

So Gerrard is going to leave Rangers and manage Bristol City. Does anyone actually believe that?

I don't think size of the clubs comes into it, I think it would honestly depend on what he thinks would be the easier way to get a premier league job. At Rangers for as long as they stay behind Celtic many will probably view it as a failure despite the wage budget difference, so 2nd place there won't help him and a cup win or two would probably only placate some. Moving to the championship with someone like us (or even Cardiff, Swansea, Derby etc) and getting us in the play offs at least would do more for his chances of a premier league job. FWIW I don't think he will be coming here though.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think LJ had looked more impressive when we took him on than Gerrard currently does.

Did a superb job at Oldham and had them playing fantastic football at that level. Josh Brownhill said he joined us because of seeing how LJs Oldham team played against him. He made some very clever signings there.

At Barnsley he went on an awful run but then went on a great run with a side that went on to get promoted. They were in superb form when he left.

Gerrard has spent more money than the previous manager. Improved them a bit which is to be expected with bigger budget than previous manager, and got them 2nd to the only side with a bigger budget.

From what I've read Rangers fans that want him to stay mainly do so because they want to see how he can do, giving him more time. Not because he has done a really good job so far.

But also fans want him to go or don't mind him going.

Like I said the other day, if it was any ex player and not Gerrard doing that job at Rangers, no one would want him here.

Gerrard has done the square root of **** all at Rangers. I will give him that they were desperately unlucky to lose the League Cup Final (that was funny) , and the last game I went to up there I was just happy that Celtic only got beat 2-1 and Morelos didn't score, but they have been woeful in many other games. Turning up on the odd occasion against Celtic, does not make him a good manager.

I love his post match interviews. they invariably start with him saying 'I take full responsibility' before he spends the next 5 minutes throwing his players under the bus. Snidey ****** who I couldn't dislike more (Unless he is your next manager of course :))

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Gerrard has done the square root of **** all at Rangers. I will give him that they were desperately unlucky to lose the League Cup Final (that was funny) , and the last game I went to up there I was just happy that Celtic only got beat 2-1 and Morelos didn't score, but they have been woeful in many other games. Turning up on the odd occasion against Celtic, does not make him a good manager.

I love his post match interviews. they invariably start with him saying 'I take full responsibility' before he spends the next 5 minutes throwing his players under the bus. Snidey ****** who I couldn't dislike more (Unless he is your next manager of course :))

You’re gas and Celtic?

Archived