IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Take it you don't like him then ?

To be honest I am not keen on him as a person. But i'd have him here if I could see any evidence of him being a great manager.

And that final bit you say is exactly what LJ often did! Don't want that again!

There was obviously a huge fuss when he rocked up at Ibrox, just because of his name, but he is the only Rangers manager to keep his job after two trophyless years , personal preferences aside , I really don't get the hype.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But ZZ did....he managed Real Madrid B (Castilla) for 2 seasons before getting let loose on the full team. For the 4 years before getting the B Team job, he worked under Mourinho and Ancelotti with the first team.  

He served an apprenticeship!!!  He did his time.

They rarely get it handed on a plate.  They have drive and desire to get to the top, but they know they have to do the hard yards first.

Plus, he clearly took time out at an undertakers, which is admirable.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Then shouldn't there be some evidence of this huge advantage Rangers have in having Gerrard's presence in charge?

They have done okay under him, or not even okay according to some Rangers fans.

Saying Gerrard could motivate/inspire our players more because of how good he was as a player means that any top quality ex pro can do the same doesn't it? If that's how it works.

I think the game has changed now. Footballers are far more professional, and okay teams can suffer lack of confidence at times, but generally as long as a manager has not lost the dressing room, most players give their all under any competent manager.

I believe now the tactics are so much more important than the old days of the 1990s 442 with balls that absorbed water, making them heavier and muddy pitches and players being allowed to kick each other.

But even then Fergie won league titles largely because of so many other things than just being a presence.

He was tactically very clever. He built teams and set them up in ways that played great football and won trophies.

And Fergie was a great manager because of who he was...a great manager, not a great player.

There’s a difference between between ‘was a great player’ and ‘has presence or charisma as a manager’. Steve Coppell wouldn’t motivate me particularly but Steven Gerrard would. Both great players.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I watch both yes.

Well at least you got your choices 50% right. As a City and Celtic fan I’ve done a little better. You won’t get many kudos for being a Celtic fan here as I have found out before. You and I know, however, that they are an exceptional club. What they have achieved in the face of sustained bigotry and hatred is truly remarkable. 

As for Stevie G he was a great footballer but like Roy Keane he doesn’t seem to have the man management skills to be a great manager. Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy would be the better options for City. 

3 minutes ago, Irishred said:

Well at least you got your choices 50% right. As a City and Celtic fan I’ve done a little better. You won’t get many kudos for being a Celtic fan here as I have found out before. You and I know, however, that they are an exceptional club. What they have achieved in the face of sustained bigotry and hatred is truly remarkable. 

As for Stevie G he was a great footballer but like Roy Keane he doesn’t seem to have the man management skills to be a great manager. Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy would be the better options for City. 

Do you actually go to Celtic games, the songs they sing especially at European games are disgusting, typical Celtic fan always the victims , there’s a lot of real victims at Celtic over the decades  but you lot don’t acknowledge that .

14 minutes ago, Irishred said:

Well said but I wouldn't bother wasting your time on here trying to educate people

3 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Well said but I wouldn't bother wasting your time on here trying to educate people

What do we need ‘educating’ On?  Do you believe that Celtic are victims of bigotry but not purveyors of it?  Old Firm games are an object lesson in hatred. Rangers may well be just as bad but the idea that Celtic are ‘wonderful’ is rather hard to accept. 

13 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Do you actually go to Celtic games, the songs they sing especially at European games are disgusting, typical Celtic fan always the victims , there’s a lot of real victims at Celtic over the decades  but you lot don’t acknowledge that .

That Lee Rigby song eh? Vermin. 

Green Brigade still tolerated there? 

Archived