IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

13 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If failing as an assistant manager is the criteria then just give it to Holden

If by failing you include winning promotion from the Championship with Villa then I hope that he gets the chance to fail as badly with us. He has proved with his captaincy of Chelsea and England that he is a natural leader and is the sort of strong character that we have been crying out for. 

One of our main failings over recent seasons is that we tend to get bullied by physical teams. I can’t see that happening under Terry. We are said to be looking for a young manager who will develop our young players. Terry has mentored many of Chelsea’s young players, most notably Tammy so for me he ticks a good few of the boxes.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He has more experience than LJ as a player. That's not being a manager or even similar to being a manager.

No but everyone has to start somewhere we need the balls to appoint someone like JT it didn't do Derby or FL any harm did it

35 minutes ago, westonred said:

JT is far more experienced than LJ at club and Country level and has respect of others in the game it would massively raise the profile of the club.  JT could attract big names i think that half the problem with LJ was players just didn't have any respect for him as he has only ever played at a certain level. How can LJ boss/teach international players when he's never played  above Championship level himself.  JT would also have strong links with FL at Chelsea so would have 1st choice on quality loans  It would be a gamble yes but he has been taught by the best and with a couple of decent coaches brought in with him i could see it working

“How can LJ boss/teach international players when he's never played  above Championship level himself”. 

There literally hundreds and hundreds of examples of this happening, and hundreds of examples of big names failing as managers.
Don’t buy the hype

2 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

“How can LJ boss/teach international players when he's never played  above Championship level himself”. 

There literally hundreds and hundreds of examples of this happening, and hundreds of examples of big names failing as managers.
Don’t buy the hype

Yes very true some can do it others can't.  LJ was just like his Dad and was unable to manager higher caliber players and falls out with a lot of players.  if your getting a bollocking from a manager you would have more respect for him if he has won everything and led his club and country by example . 

49 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

What does he actually bring to the party? Villa fans certain wouldn’t accept him as the next manager 

Neither should we. If we appointed him as manager it would without doubt be the most ridiculous thing Lansdown has done since taking over 

Deceit, racism, a few Chelsea medals and limited experience of how to manage a football club 

I could just about see the logic of Gerrard but Terry would be a shocker of an appointment. No experience, horrible bloke.... it just wouldn’t make any sense.

He would surely want a big salary as well. Just appoint Hughton FFS. 

3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I would not like my club to be managed by such an unlikeable man.

Don’t think you are alone.

Can only hope this is wide of the mark, as well as being a deeply unpleasant individual Terry has no management experience at all.

Although they would not be in my top ten of realistic choices, I’d honestly rather we appointed Clough or Adkins than this lowlife.

So SL, who reportedly wanted rid of Ayling because the Cheltenham fiasco was unacceptable behaviour, is now considering employing someone who has a reputation for drinking, gambling, ******* his mates's wives and been on trial for making racist remarks? 

Can't see that myself. If he was manager and tried to talk to a young player about behaving professionally how much respect would he get there? 

I reckon he would split the fanbase in the same way as LJ. A lot of people would be against him right from day one, including me. 

1 hour ago, westonred said:

JT is far more experienced than LJ at club and Country level and has respect of others in the game it would massively raise the profile of the club.  JT could attract big names i think that half the problem with LJ was players just didn't have any respect for him as he has only ever played at a certain level. How can LJ boss/teach international players when he's never played  above Championship level himself.  JT would also have strong links with FL at Chelsea so would have 1st choice on quality loans  It would be a gamble yes but he has been taught by the best and with a couple of decent coaches brought in with him i could see it working

At what level did Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Chris Wilder and Eddie Howe play ?

A manager/coach's playing career only becomes an issue if he fails to earn the respect of the players through his work as their coach/manager.  

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A manager/coach's playing career only becomes an issue if he fails to earn the respect of the players through his work as their coach/manager.  

When the Chelsea Academy manager, Edwards was mentioned a few days ago it did make me think of John Terry being appointed possibly with this Edwards assisting.

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

When the Chelsea Academy manager, Edwards was mentioned a few days ago it did make me think of John Terry being appointed possibly with this Edwards assisting.

Sadly me, too.

9 hours ago, eric04 said:

Sunday Express says he’s turned us down and we now want John Terry. 

A Sunday Express “exclusive”. There’s a reason it’s “exclusive” and no other press are reporting it. Let’s have a guess whether it is:

a) the Sunday Express have excellent links into the hierarchy at Bristol City, and the authorisation to print this news; or

b) they made it up

You decide.

1 minute ago, WarksRobin said:

A Sunday Express “exclusive”. There’s a reason it’s “exclusive” and no other press are reporting it. Let’s have a guess whether it is:

a) the Sunday Express have excellent links into the hierarchy at Bristol City, and the authorisation to print this news; or

b) they made it up

You decide.

Not saying whether it’s true or not, but they wouldn’t need a hotline to then City hierarchy, but they probably know plenty of people at Rangers and Villa. And people in football talk to each other A LOT! 

1 hour ago, westonred said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

58 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Don’t buy the hype

✅

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

✅

Its LJ’s ability to man-manage, convey his thoughts etc that the players will decide upon, not what level he played at.

If he doesn’t get his theory and methods across well, players might then question if it’s because he’s not played top level or he hasn’t experienced playing for different managers other than his dad.

In the last day I’ve listened to Alex Neil and Paul Cook interviews.  Neither played internationally, Neil’s playing career probably at a lower level than LJ’s overall, Cook had a season and a bit at Coventry in the Prem, but mostly in Champ/Lg1.  I liked the way they talked, they talked football fan lingo.  In fairness I liked LJ’s interviews, but mainly his pre-match stuff.  His post-match stuff often left me feeling like he was spinning it, and lacked respect for the opposition.

18 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Of nearly all the names mentioned, John Terry would be the one appointment that really disappoints me. I hope this isn’t true.

I cant understand why this disappoints you. I think to many people are Looking at moral reasons and history rather than the quality and coaching skills he could bring any club lucky enough to get him 

14 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

It’s not your club though is it. It’s not mine either. The powers that be will make the decisions, and as long as the new manager says the right things in the boardroom, they won’t care about fan reaction. 

A manager is not employed to be liked, he's employed to be successful.

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

I cant understand why this disappoints you. I think to many people are Looking at moral reasons and history rather than the quality and coaching skills he could bring any club lucky enough to get him 

Would that be the same coaching and quality skills that see Aston Villa shipping goals left right and centre?

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

I can only speak for myself. I see nothing attractive in the appointment of John Terry. Everything I have ever read about him puts me off. And as he's never managed a professional club at any level and has been a coach for about 5 minutes I struggle to see why anyone other than his agent would be promoting him as Bristol City manager.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No evidence he has those skills though. Might be a useless manager like some other ex top players have been.

Literally a complete guess. It might be a disaster, and an expensive disaster.

Agree. But he was a better player than LJ. We all know what LJ capabilities were. Trying to compare the two would be impossible. A manager that was / is a high profile player would get the better out of the players in the club, especially the younger ones.

23 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

It’s not your club though is it. It’s not mine either. The powers that be will make the decisions, and as long as the new manager says the right things in the boardroom, they won’t care about fan reaction. 

I'm not so sure on both counts. First a football club is nothing without its supporters. We have more power than many think. It's just hard to mobilise it.

Second, Steve Lansdown likes to be liked and admired.

Archived