IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

£100k for a televised home game. 
£120k if it’s a Sunday. 
£140k if a Thursday. 
£10k for an away game. 

Not only that but the media profile a name like Gerrard would bring to the club would be huge. He would also attract people to games who may never have watched us previously. I guess in many ways it’s no different to a high profile signing for example Rooney has brought profile and money into derby 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Not loads then. If he demands more than LJ was on, plus compensation for Rangers. I think they'd need to make millions more than that for that to be a reason

More a comparison of CH v SG, not LJ. 

Whichever of CH or SG come in, they’re gonna be on at least double what LJ was. But SG would likely pull in more revenue. 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Because of the commercial value Gerrard brings to the table. Simple as that. 

The money we would make on the back of having him in charge would easily pay for his salary and more 

We are a brand now sadly. They want the big name to lead that brand 

Hughton isn’t that name 

This doesn't make financial sense.

Having a big name like Gerrard might get you a few more Sky appearances and a bit more press.

Getting promoted is worth over £200m.

If you think we have a 10% change of getting promoted with Gerrard and a 11% chance with a seasoned manager like Hughton, you'd be financially better going with the latter.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah true. Or we could say SG vs Cowley, Lowe etc

But the others aren’t, to my knowledge, in the running. 
We’ve got Gerrard first choice and Hughton second choice. 
So the financial comparison is one I’m only currently making between those 2. 
If we end up with a Cowley/Lowe etc, then yes, this is a much cheaper option wages-wise, but also means zero additional revenue which comes with the ‘name’. 

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm certainly not chilled ?

How would we make loads commercially? A few extra sky games maybe. But that wouldn't make a huge difference.

I knew you wouldn’t be ?

40 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Sponsorship

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

£100k for a televised home game. 
£120k if it’s a Sunday. 
£140k if a Thursday. 
£10k for an away game. 

New commercial partners, etc.

Wasnt Lancer Scott something like £250k per annum, and Dunder significantly more?  Enough to buy out LS’s deal?

Only speculating.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not loads then. If he demands more than LJ was on, plus compensation for Rangers. I think they'd need to make millions more than that for that to be a reason

Would take more than live tv money I agree to make a dent.  

32 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Having a big name like Gerrard might get you a few more Sky appearances and a bit more press.

If you think we have a 10% change of getting promoted with Gerrard and a 11% chance with a seasoned manager like Hughton, you'd be financially better going with the latter.

Quite.

Which, again, highlights the enormous disparity between the two divisions and why getting promoted, effectively at all costs and notwithstanding FFP, is both essential and a no brainer. 

i.e. why would you gamble unnecessarily with that?

43 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Well we had a 0% chance of getting promoted under LJ....and we still appointed him...

So who knows their train of thought 

Just now, JonDolman said:

Well millions more and even I would consider him! ?

But I would still be worried about him wanting loads of new players. We really don't need much more imo.

Gold digger!! ?

I guess that’ll be one if the things you might judge him on should he come here -

• did he get more out of the current players
  • did he realise they weren’t what he wanted
  • did he replace at the cost of millions
  • did he trade well / or not doing it

If he bought in 6 players at £2m each, having sold 2 or 3 for £12m, would that kind of approach be ok in your eyes?

25 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Maybe Dunder will fund  SG’s wages as has happened with Rooney

I don't see why a deal couldn't be struck with Dunder. They get Stevie G as a poster boy and we get a supplement for what is probably an incredibly expensive appointment by our standards. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't see why a deal couldn't be struck with Dunder. They get Stevie G as a poster boy and we get a supplement for what is probably an incredibly expensive appointment by our standards. 

Aren't Dunder a gambling related company? It wouldn't surprise me if gambling/betting companies become persona non grata with football teams.

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Well we had a 0% chance of getting promoted under LJ....and we still appointed him...

So who knows their train of thought 

If the people claiming inside knowledge are right (big if) then we're witnessing another Lansdown managerial appointment train wreck in slow motion.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Aren't Dunder a gambling related company? It wouldn't surprise me if gambling/betting companies become persona non grata with football teams.

Undoubtedly. May as well barter whilst they're still grata though.

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

Ex Liverpool and LA Galaxy player. Now managing up in Scotland. 

Is the correct answer. You get £100 and you move to the double money round.

1 hour ago, 'Orns said:

All the talk of SG, CH and the Cowley brothers and Lowe is now odds on

Obviously could be affected by a couple of larger bets, but this link isn't going away. Anyone know anything on this? Looking at you @Kid in the Riot

Scousers everywhere you look.

Interesting that Lowe was a great pal of Gerrard's in the Liverpool youth teams for several years before breaking his ankle and leaving in his mid teens, and they are still friends today.

Out of the 3 I'd still favour Cook for reasons given elsewhere, but wouldn't actually be upset if it was Lowe - proven managerial success, attacking football, a motivator, and he seems to be a winner to me.

54 minutes ago, Nibor said:

If you do, though. Thinking through managers who have been promoted and managers who have failed over recent years, I'm sceptical that a previous track record of managers' promotions makes any statistical difference to your odds of being promoted. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'm certainly not chilled ?

How would we make loads commercially? A few extra sky games maybe. But that wouldn't make a huge difference.

It's everything that comes with it. It'll probably help conference revenue and private box hire too which is a huge revenue driver. There are so many management consultancy/tech/financial firms in Bristol to tap into. Having a household name as manager is great for that as a revenue stream.

I haven't read one word on Follow Follow regarding Gerrard leaving for Bristol City or anywhere else. Where did this rumour begin?

It would be a strange move on Gerrard's part anyway. If he was looking for his first managerial job, like Lampard at Derby, but not when he's at Rangers.

This protracted search for a new manager is got worrying similarities to attempts in the past to sign players. In that we know they are not interested but we carry on trying to get them to sign. If as the Post says they are trying to lure Gerrard down, then for me he is the wrong man. We want someone who really wants the job. Let's hope this is  the Post talking bo11acks . And we are focusing on Managers who want to come here not chasing people who don't and at the same time missing out on good managers, who have had enough of waiting.

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

This protracted search for a new manager is got worrying similarities to attempts in the past to sign players. In that we know they are not interested but we carry on trying to get them to sign. If as the Post says they are trying to lure Gerrard down, then for me he is the wrong man. We want someone who really wants the job. Let's hope this is  the Post talking bo11acks . And we are focusing on Managers who want to come here not chasing people who don't and at the same time missing out on good managers, who have had enough of waiting.

Whoever gets the job will give it their best shot. Remember Jon Stead turned us down once, ended up coming down and winning fans over because of his heart.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Scousers everywhere you look.

Interesting that Lowe was a great pal of Gerrard's in the Liverpool youth teams for several years before breaking his ankle and leaving in his mid teens, and they are still friends today.

Out of the 3 I'd still favour Cook for reasons given elsewhere, but wouldn't actually be upset if it was Lowe - proven managerial success, attacking football, a motivator, and he seems to be a winner to me.

Lowe as Gerrard's number 2 potentially? 

There was a great theory on here which I believe is true whereby people like Flynn and Lowe are being 'looked at', essentially as a favour, to help boost their profile so give them more grativas to demand better contracts and possibly to get interviews for other jobs. Both Plymouth and Newport have been feeder clubs for us for loan players and it helps keep that relationship sweet whilst boosting their profile. It then means in a year or two if we're looking again, we've already formed a network with these promising managers/coaches in case they're a good fit. 

Archived