IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

Los Angeles California United States of America 

Sounds like a postcard you send as a kid. you missed off World, galaxy and the universe ?

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd happily sell 2 or 3. Diedhiou, Eliasson. Maybe some others. But can't imagine us making 12 million next window.

£s were just an example. 

I'm more worried about us splashing out money we don't have.

so, if he spent what he generated, woukd you be ok with that?

Which would surprise me. But not so much if Gerrard comes as surely he will want big money to spend.

I guess we have to wait and see.

And then I'm worried about the pathway. Players really not getting games. LJ I thought could have given some more game time. Maybe not loaned out some like Moore, Vyner (this season), Morrell or Walsh maybe.

totally agree re LJ and the players you mention.  Again we’d have to wait and see if it were Gerrard.

But then he did play Moore a bit, Walsh a little bit when he wasn't ready

although he signed Walsh as being “ready”, yet 18 months later he wasn’t!

, Semenyo, Massengo, O'Leary. 

I worry Gerrard and not just Gerrard but other big names will not do that at all.

those are legitimate worries Jon, but imagine the alternate scenario too, that he loves Scouser Walsh, who is inspired under him (of course being Everton he might hate him!), etc.

2 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I haven't read one word on Follow Follow regarding Gerrard leaving for Bristol City or anywhere else. Where did this rumour begin?

It would be a strange move on Gerrard's part anyway. If he was looking for his first managerial job, like Lampard at Derby, but not when he's at Rangers.

The right posters on here are making the right noises about this one. You wouldn't necessarily know what to look for on here as a new poster/non City fan but based on who's talking about it it's pretty clear we're interested. 

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Scousers everywhere you look.

Interesting that Lowe was a great pal of Gerrard's in the Liverpool youth teams for several years before breaking his ankle and leaving in his mid teens, and they are still friends today.

Out of the 3 I'd still favour Cook for reasons given elsewhere, but wouldn't actually be upset if it was Lowe - proven managerial success, attacking football, a motivator, and he seems to be a winner to me.

Guessed that Lowe and SG would know each other pretty well

Got to be honest, I wasn't having Lowe at first, but it does fit the model and I wouldn't be adverse to him at all. I'd still prefer CH from all the contenders, but that looks unlikely now. We're a long way from an appointment, in football terms, there will be a couple more getting the marching orders over the next 48 / 72 hours. May be prudent to hang fire for another day or two

CH, SG, RL, PC, Cowley's - I can see plus points to all of them. It's really not an easy choice

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lowe as Gerrard's number 2 potentially? 

There was a great theory on here which I believe is true whereby people like Flynn and Lowe are being 'looked at', essentially as a favour, to help boost their profile so give them more grativas to demand better contracts and possibly to get interviews for other jobs. Both Plymouth and Newport have been feeder clubs for us for loan players and it helps keep that relationship sweet whilst boosting their profile. It then means in a year or two if we're looking again, we've already formed a network with these promising managers/coaches in case they're a good fit. 

That’s a good angle. ??

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sounds like a postcard you send as a kid. you missed off World, galaxy and the universe ?

Ha, wasn't just me then ?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lowe as Gerrard's number 2 potentially? 

There was a great theory on here which I believe is true whereby people like Flynn and Lowe are being 'looked at', essentially as a favour, to help boost their profile so give them more grativas to demand better contracts and possibly to get interviews for other jobs. Both Plymouth and Newport have been feeder clubs for us for loan players and it helps keep that relationship sweet whilst boosting their profile. It then means in a year or two if we're looking again, we've already formed a network with these promising managers/coaches in case they're a good fit. 

Like that, Foggy

19 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If you do, though. Thinking through managers who have been promoted and managers who have failed over recent years, I'm sceptical that a previous track record of managers' promotions makes any statistical difference to your odds of being promoted.

It would be very hard to do a statistical analysis given the small sample size and the other different characteristics.

But even taking a purely subjective view - which is what someone making the judgement about hiring a manager has to do and get right - it's hard to see how Gerrard would be more likely to be successful than someone with a lot more experience. 

The point I'm making is that the relatively small amount of cash difference pales by comparison to the reward of promotion so isn't part of the decision process either way.

Do people who have listened to Gerrard (or Terry) and Hughton talk really find themselves in any doubt about the better choice?  I find it hard to credit.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, we ended up with Wells instead, who also joined us permanently.

That LJ turned into a bench warming bit parter! But I am a fan. With the right bloke in charge he is a very good player. 

All this talk of Steven Gerrard, at this point, certainly feels like the BoD/MA/SL fancy him as their preferred man. For my tuppence, the past is not necessarily a guide to the future, but, its the best we have, so I understand the idea of Hughton over Gerrard, but Gerrard has done well making Rangers competitive. 

Both guys are proven winners at player level at least and in footy circles are household names, so its all set up for a foreigner from a European League!!

41 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's everything that comes with it. It'll probably help conference revenue and private box hire too which is a huge revenue driver. There are so many management consultancy/tech/financial firms in Bristol to tap into. Having a household name as manager is great for that as a revenue stream.

Pales into insignificance compared to the revenue from getting to the Prem. 

45 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Guessed that Lowe and SG would know each other pretty well

Got to be honest, I wasn't having Lowe at first, but it does fit the model and I wouldn't be adverse to him at all. I'd still prefer CH from all the contenders, but that looks unlikely now. We're a long way from an appointment, in football terms, there will be a couple more getting the marching orders over the next 48 / 72 hours. May be prudent to hang fire for another day or two

CH, SG, RL, PC, Cowley's - I can see plus points to all of them. It's really not an easy choice

It’s almost as if Lansdown knows what he’s doing and is practicing due diligence with a group of strong candidates.

No, wait. He has no plan hence why we don’t have a new man in yet. For a minute there I almost got carried away thinking our chairman was a successful, tactful and conscientious businessman!

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know Walsh's favourite player is/was actually Gerrard. Said so in an interview. Said even though he's an Everton fan.

Is he? He was at Anfield the night they won the title according to his instagram stories

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

All this speculation is bol-locks.  Do you really think SL and his mates would not have had somebody lined up before they fired LJ?

I was thinking that too.

Then I realised it’s Bristol City we’re talking about. 

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

All this speculation is bol-locks.  Do you really think SL and his mates would not have had somebody lined up before they fired LJ?

I don't think they did. They sacked him safe in the knowledge there are plenty of capable replacements out there and that the role and the timing itself would generate a fair few applications.

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Because of the commercial value Gerrard brings to the table. Simple as that. 

The money we would make on the back of having him in charge would easily pay for his salary and more 

We are a brand now sadly. They want the big name to lead that brand 

Hughton isn’t that name 

Whether fans like it or not, you’re right. We are a brand, as are all football, rugby and cricket clubs that are / want to be successful. “Steven Gerrard’s Bristol City” has better branding than “Chris Hughton’s Bristol City”. That said, SL and MA wouldn’t be swayed just by branding. They must believe Gerrard has the ability to get City promoted. 

10 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I’m sure they had a list of potential candidates.  LJ and MA often talked about the long term planning they did to bring in new players so it would be the same with SL and MA regarding a new manager. Having a list is the easy bit. Getting the person who is top of the list to agree to come takes a bit longer. 

It's a statement like the Pat Lam Revolution that's why it's a massive appointment to make if we are serious about the next level.

I would guess that the board would've looked at what Frank Lampard did for Derby and we could hit on a similar format with him.

13 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Whether fans like it or not, you’re right. We are a brand, as are all football, rugby and cricket clubs that are / want to be successful. “Steven Gerrard’s Bristol City” has better branding than “Chris Hughton’s Bristol City”. That said, SL and MA wouldn’t be swayed just by branding. They must believe Gerrard has the ability to get City promoted. 

I wonder on what premise they might think that? 

18 minutes ago, Swede said:

It's a statement like the Pat Lam Revolution that's why it's a massive appointment to make if we are serious about the next level.

I would guess that the board would've looked at what Frank Lampard did for Derby and we could hit on a similar format with him.

One thing he didn’t do was get them promoted.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not loads then. If he demands more than LJ was on, plus compensation for Rangers. I think they'd need to make millions more than that for that to be a reason

I think you need to widen your horizons, we have already had games with odd kick off times, because people want to see some of our Foreign players, imagine the global TV rights that would suddenly be up for grabs for those wanting to see a SG managed side. That sort of exposure brings larger advertising revenue and so on. You could be looking at doubling our income for at least 5 or 6 games, maybe more if we are doing well, just prepared for some weird kick off times. :) 

24 minutes ago, Swede said:

People will say Lampard underperformed with Derby because he had Mount, Tomori and Wilson.

Maybe some truth in that but they were all very young and in first full year of English football professionally or second in Wilson’s case. 

Also they probably don’t get Mount, Tomori or Wilson without Lampard. Maybe one but not all. Keep in mind we possibly missed out on Marriott for that reason as well. 

Then you get to he lost in the final. That is a decent level of no success. Especially as the knocked out Leeds on the way. 

Perhaps Gerrard isn’t as talented as Lampard. Very possible or even probable but that doesn’t hide the fact that Gerrard would give the club a better profile and be more likely to get 1st choice in the transfer market

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Championship has no real global appeal does it?

I'd say Rangers probably have much more global appeal. People much more likely to watch Steven Gerrard's Rangers than Steven Gerrard's Bristol City surely.

Interested if someone can look into it..as it might not even be true that he generates the club loads of money.

Surely its "Ryan Lowe's Bristol City"

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Championship has no real global appeal does it?

I'd say Rangers probably have much more global appeal. People much more likely to watch Steven Gerrard's Rangers than Steven Gerrard's Bristol City surely.

Interested if someone can look into it..as it might not even be true that he generates the club loads of money.

I am talking media rights Jon. The Championship is shown in far more countries than the SPL which gives the club more bargaining appeal to companies that want to use advertising space etc. I don't know if the Gerrard rumours are true or not but from a business point of view I can see its merits.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Gerrard is represented by the same agency as Lee Johnson. Make of that what you will! 

KSM / Wasserman also represent Afobe, O'Dowda, Andi W and other BCFC players.

And ex-loanees such as Danny Rose

Plus Eddie Howe and Nathan Jones

One of their employees posts on here. Incognito of course.

Make of that what you will.

Archived