IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Championship has no real global appeal does it?

I'd say Rangers probably have much more global appeal. People much more likely to watch Steven Gerrard's Rangers than Steven Gerrard's Bristol City surely.

Interested if someone can look into it..as it might not even be true that he generates the club loads of money.

I’d say neither the Championship nor the SPL have much global appeal. But certainly you’re more likely to see a Rangers top on your foreign holiday than you are a City one, not least of all because of the Irish connections.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Gregor and the Bristol Post are saying Gerrard is number 1 target simply as clickbait.

They never usually know much more than the rest of us

I disagree with this. I think Gregor is straight-up and reports what he finds. He doesn’t do sensationalism or clickbait, and he doesn’t make bold claims.

The article says Gerrard is the target but that they will likely struggle to prize him away from Rangers - fair enough. As the number one independent City journalist he will have his contacts close to the club and it’s not in his interests to reveal them.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I disagree with this. I think Gregor is straight-up and reports what he finds. He doesn’t do sensationalism or clickbait, and he doesn’t make bold claims.

The article says Gerrard is the target but that they will likely struggle to prize him away from Rangers - fair enough. As the number one independent City journalist he will have his contacts close to the club and it’s not in his interests to reveal them.

I think Gregor noted that 2 sources had suggested that the Gerrard interest is still in play and I don't see any reason to think that he made that up.

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I am talking media rights Jon. The Championship is shown in far more countries than the SPL which gives the club more bargaining appeal to companies that want to use advertising space etc. I don't know if the Gerrard rumours are true or not but from a business point of view I can see its merits.

Don't know about other countries but here in Thailand both are almost non-existent. Never tried to watch SPL but finding a legitimate way of watching City is near impossible. 

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’d say neither the Championship nor the SPL have much global appeal. But certainly you’re more likely to see a Rangers top on your foreign holiday than you are a City one, not least of all because of the Irish connections.

To clarify what I said here (because I’m getting some odd reactions) - is it not true to say Rangers have a large following amongst Protestants in Northern Ireland - and the small minority of Protestants in the Republic - while Celtic are obviously supported by Catholics north and south?

24 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

Don't know about other countries but here in Thailand both are almost non-existent. Never tried to watch SPL but finding a legitimate way of watching City is near impossible. 

We have pubs that show all the championship games.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In your undoubtedly promising career as a stand up comic, I wouldn’t open with that gag - bury it somewhere in the middle of the set, you might just get away with it ... ?

Save it for the grand finale?

7 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

It’s almost as if Lansdown knows what he’s doing and is practicing due diligence with a group of strong candidates.

No, wait. He has no plan hence why we don’t have a new man in yet. For a minute there I almost got carried away thinking our chairman was a successful, tactful and conscientious businessman!

Didn't say he wasn't?

Not sure if you're agreeing or arguing with yourself about something I haven't said?

As I said earlier:

Wasserman (Gerrard's agent) also represent Afobe, O'Dowda, Andi W, Walsh,Vyner and Hinds.  Ex-players such as Pack,Matthews,Rose are all Wasserman.

In fact - BCFC hold the current championship record of 6 transfers using Ashtons preferred agent (err...Wasserman Group) from the Wasserman Agency themselves. 

Yes BCFC used Wasserman 6 times to buy 6 Wasserman players......via Wasserman.

So, yes, if Gerrard was coming,  as his agent is commonly used (and preferred) by Ashton, then I'm certain we would know.

Seeing as once again we would be using the same agency to represent both sides.

Small world eh?

I have wondering about these leaks that claim Gerrard is first choice. Normally City are watertight on Managers. Could Gerrard be a smokescreen?

It would a

allow the club today we tried for Gerrard we really did when announce Lowe or Appleton

Just now, Busterrimes said:

I have wondering about these leaks that claim Gerrard is first choice. Normally City are watertight on Managers. Could Gerrard be a smokescreen?

It would allow the club today we tried for Gerrard we really did when announce Lowe or Appleton

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I dont, gregors problem isn't his story's its the fact he reports for the post, who want clickbait for the ad revenue, that's why his storys are generally from here or other papers daily and why many people don't pay that much attention,

It isn't gregors fault its the posts fault for being shit, I'm sure gmcg will move on and become a fine reporter but that won't happen while he reports for that sorry excuse for toilet paper and all its 10 footballers who lost millions you won't believe who is at number four links and pop ups

11 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Robins TV?

Yes. You are of course right though I have had abysmal luck in getting it to work when I have occasionally bought it and have given up on it. 

I meant legitimate TV coverage. There is none of the championship available in Thailand as far as I am aware. I can and do watch live streams of City when available but that's probably no more than 5 times a season when we are shown on Bein in some territories. 

In any event, the post I was responding to suggested that international media rights for the championship were substantially greater than for the Scottish premier league and the point I was trying to make (badly it seems) is that I doubt that they amount to much for either of them. 

8 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Didn't say he wasn't?

Not sure if you're agreeing or arguing with yourself about something I haven't said?

Sorry if that came across wrong, wasn’t a dig at you! I actually agree with your post, you’re spot on. 

Was more sarcastic dig at all of those who seems to think Lansdown doesn’t have a plan or any idea of what he’s doing. When in fact it’s totally normal to take your time with a managerial appointment, especially one that will make or break or progress as a club.

2 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Sorry if that came across wrong, wasn’t a dig at you! I actually agree with your post, you’re spot on. 

Was more sarcastic dig at all of those who seems to think Lansdown doesn’t have a plan or any idea of what he’s doing. When in fact it’s totally normal to take your time with a managerial appointment, especially one that will make or break or progress as a club.

Taking time to sack LJ certainly broke us.

32 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

In any event, the post I was responding to suggested that international media rights for the championship were substantially greater than for the Scottish premier league and the point I was trying to make (badly it seems) is that I doubt that they amount to much for either of them. 

It looks like the difference is quite stark. From a quick web search (so caveats etc):

EFL including L1 and L2 earns £52m from overseas tv rights per season.

And SPL earns £2m.

That's pretty amazing!

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/efl-seeks-advisors-to-assess-international-rights-strategy/

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/spfls-new-international-tv-deal-15786354

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In your undoubtedly promising career as a stand up comic, I wouldn’t open with that gag - bury it somewhere in the middle of the set, you might just get away with it ... ?

you’ve lost me BS4. I’m not a stand up comic. I was chatting to Dave about postcards. He brought it up, not me. Not sure what you’re on about TBh. 

14 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It looks like the difference is quite stark. From a quick web search (so caveats etc):

EFL including L1 and L2 earns £52m from overseas tv rights per season.

And SPL earns £2m.

That's pretty amazing!

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/efl-seeks-advisors-to-assess-international-rights-strategy/

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/spfls-new-international-tv-deal-15786354

Amazing that anyone would pay 2m for SPL football? :)

7 hours ago, SX227 said:

As I said earlier:

Wasserman (Gerrard's agent) also represent Afobe, O'Dowda, Andi W, Walsh,Vyner and Hinds.  Ex-players such as Pack,Matthews,Rose are all Wasserman.

In fact - BCFC hold the current championship record of 6 transfers using Ashtons preferred agent (err...Wasserman Group) from the Wasserman Agency themselves. 

Yes BCFC used Wasserman 6 times to buy 6 Wasserman players......via Wasserman.

So, yes, if Gerrard was coming,  as his agent is commonly used (and preferred) by Ashton, then I'm certain we would know.

Seeing as once again we would be using the same agency to represent both sides.

Small world eh?

I was just about to look this up, so you saved me the time - thanks ?

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

Ha - it was very late when I saw it, couldn't work out if my post had come across the wrong way!

I've said many times in the last couple of weeks, we must be a very attractive option to certain managers. This is such a massive decision, I don't care if it takes another month, wouldn't be ideal - but you get my point

Another day or two and Villa, Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle et al have big decisions to make. The market place could look very different by the weekend

Exciting times

1 minute ago, 'Orns said:

Ha - it was very late when I saw it, couldn't work out if my post had come across the wrong way!

I've said many times in the last couple of weeks, we must be a very attractive option to certain managers. This is such a massive decision, I don't care if it takes another month, wouldn't be ideal - but you get my point

Another day or two and Villa, Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle et al have big decisions to make. The market place could look very different by the weekend

Exciting times

Can anyone really identify what Gérard would bring to the club - - other than the glitz - has he proved himself in the management game? 

Archived