IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Rocky

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I guess the issue comes when you need to sack him. If he signs a three year deal and we're in the mire 6 months in, we'd have to pay over £6m in compensation. We would also need to buy out his contract in Scotland which I imagine will be another few million so it could be a very expensive risk. 

I think this is the concern , if he joins us and we end up getting relegated that’s a huge financial hit to take on.

I just wonder if the club are thinking we’ll pay over the top for Gerrard with the expectation that we may be able to attract some Liverpool youngsters on loan, pay some of the wages plus a loan fee cheaper than permanent signings and cover the cost of Gerrard’s wages that way?

You don’t bring Steven Gerard in on nearly £3m a year without serious intentions to properly go for it. This could be the fuel that the project needs - what rising young star player wouldn’t want to play for Gerard?

Potentially extraordinary times ahead for us - maybe Mr L has finally decided now is the time.

I think over the years this is where city have failed massively not investing in a top management team,It's always been about signing players and spending millions and pretty much getting the same result. If thats what it takes to lure a top manager into the club then so be it..

Q

Just now, Street red said:

I think over the years this is where city have failed massively not investing in a top management team,It's always been about signing players and spending millions and pretty much getting the same result. If thats what it takes to lure a top manager into the club then so be it..

Absolutely. A top manager. SG hasn't come close to showing he is just that.

Am I correct in thinking that Coaches/Manager wages do not count towards FFP? Hence why Derby have paid Wayne to be a player coach? If that's the case, If SL wants to spend his money on SG then fair enough. 

As others have said the media hype and commercial aspects of getting SG would help attract players of a higher calibre... At least you'd hope. 

If he does come here, it won't be a sudden rooftop tweet, I expect it to be leaked everywhere before it happened.  Perhaps even Rangers kick up a massive fuss and their fans go into meltdown (which would be amazing entertainment btw).

12 minutes ago, Rocky said:

The commercial aspect of Gerrard coming here is huge. Extra income would be massive and probably pay for a lot of his ‘package’.

Depending on how long he stays and how the results go . It could be a nightmare if it doesn’t work out . High profile failure as opposed to under the radar failure.

27 minutes ago, chowie said:

Sources: Billionaire launches extraordinary offer to lure Rangers top earner from Ibrox

By
 Wayne Veysey
 -
21st July 2020 at 7:00am

Bristol City will make one final push to lure Steven Gerrard from Rangers by offering him a deal that would make him the highest-paid manager in the Championship next season, Football Insider understands.

Billionaire owner Steve Lansdown has not given up hope of trying to entice the 40-year-old from Ibrox ahead of the new Scottish campaign starting on 1 August.

A City source has told Football Insider the club are launching an extraordinary offer to Gerrard that would top his £2.5million-a-year Rangers package.

The Liverpool legend signed a new Rangers deal last December that runs until the summer of 2024.

That is equivalent to £50,000-a-week and higher than any Ibrox player under his command.

City are aware they face a huge battle to entice Gerrard as he is firmly fixed on his third season in Glasgow and stopping Celtic marching to 10-in-a-row.

The ambitious Championship club have not given up hope but will look elsewhere if they cannot persuade the Rangers manager by the end of this week.

As revealed by Football Insider, Gerrard has also been approached by Birmingham this summer but he knocked back the Championship outfit.

The highest paid manager currently in the Championship is Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa, who earns around £60,000-a-week.

Reports of Gerrard’s £2.5m salary are incorrect. 
His contract at Rangers is around £1m per year guaranteed, with up to £2.5m incentives (ie cup win, euro-progression etc). 
If we are to “top” his current salary, we could offer £1.2m (same as what Hughton wants), with a £2m promotion bonus. 

Reporters, not surprisingly, are reporting the ‘top end’ figure of a contract. 

23 minutes ago, Cardy said:

You don’t bring Steven Gerard in on nearly £3m a year without serious intentions to properly go for it. This could be the fuel that the project needs - what rising young star player wouldn’t want to play for Gerard?

Potentially extraordinary times ahead for us - maybe Mr L has finally decided now is the time.

Yeah, can see this type of conversation between Bristol City manager Gerrard and Liverpool FC

SG: Look, I'm now the highest paid manager in the Champ and for my future management career I simply have to get BC promoted.

Liverpool: Who you want Stevie. 

8 minutes ago, Street red said:

We don't even spend millions on signing good players, we just sign loads of mediocre players and longer term PUNTS that are literally yet to bear any fruit. The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of. Much of Lee Johnson's transfer activity was grossly incompetent in my view when considering we are a medium sized club at this level aiming to reach the play offs and yet it was sanctioned by both CEO (or whatever Ashton is titled) and Owner. Yet again clubs like Brentford, Millwall and Preston North End will out perform us on two thirds of the crowds we get because they are managed better than we are.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We don't even spend millions on signing good players, we just sign loads of mediocre players and longer term PUNTS that are literally yet to bear any fruit. The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of. Much of Lee Johnson's transfer activity was grossly incompetent in my view when considering we are a medium sized club at this level aiming to reach the play offs and yet it was sanctioned by both CEO (or whatever Ashton is titled) and Owner. Yet again clubs like Brentford, Millwall and Preston North End will out perform us on two thirds of the crowds we get because they are managed better than we are.

Kalas? Wells? DaSilva? Palmer? 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster’s. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of.

Kodja? Bought for around £3m & sold for £11m or thereabouts, if my memory is correct.

I mean it would be a little bit exciting, especially for me if by any chance Lowe is assistant as someone speculated. 

Totally Bristol City thing to do though if we don't go for Hughton and shows that promotion to the PL is obviously not the highest priority.

17 minutes ago, chowie said:

Yeah, can see this type of conversation between Bristol City manager Gerrard and Liverpool FC

SG: Look, I'm now the highest paid manager in the Champ and for my future management career I simply have to get BC promoted.

Liverpool: Who you want Stevie. 

Bielsa is technically still a championship manager atm..... rumoured to be on £65,000 a week

1 hour ago, extonsred said:

Can anyone really identify what Gérard would bring to the club - - other than the glitz - has he proved himself in the management game? 

Listening to the Peter Crouch podcast, there was a bit talking about his first day of training at Liverpool, where his touch let him down. Immediately Gerrard was on to him, essentially pressing the fact that every minute of every training session needed to be 100%. I also read that he’s a consummate professional in all aspects of his work. As I try and convince myself, I’d say his plus points are:

- professionalism in himself and those around him, which will spread onto his players and staff. People like CoD will be given short reign if they do not transfer their training form onto match days. People who don’t perform in training will just be fked off

- man management, something we’ve lacked for a long time, and that no other candidate can match  

- wants to promote youth, as an ethos, again the stand out candidate on this front

- will get the absolute best out of the kids in our midfield (Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, Nagy)

- marketability for additional £££ and branding, ultimately resulting in more money to be reinvested into the club and players

However, he lacks in tactical nous, and potentially from knowledge of the championship having never worked here.
He also comes as a short to mid term option, he will not still be here in 3 years time, whether that be due to poaching or sacking. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We don't even spend millions on signing good players, we just sign loads of mediocre players and longer term PUNTS that are literally yet to bear any fruit. The only transfer activity we have made significant money on are Academy players and Adam Webster. Not one punt has done anything meaningful that I can think of. Much of Lee Johnson's transfer activity was grossly incompetent 

Josh Brownhill? Cost £200k in compensation to PNE, then sold for £9m?

LJ made plenty of mistakes, but just like his positional switch of Reid which netted us £10m for someone we would have gladly released a couple of years before, Brownhill was all down to him.

Just totting up the various threads regarding SG, CH, Cowleys, Cook, other general debating threads regarding who the new manager might be, I have tallied over 150 pages of pure speculation.

That's almost 4,500 posts of fluff and guff.... and I LOVE IT!

This is what OTIB lives for! It's an escape from the mundane. 

Keep it coming you beautiful people!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No definitely not. Some Rangers fans even want him gone.

Seems like he's done okay. Improved a team with bigger budget than previous manager. 

Ended up 2nd with the 2nd highest budget in the SPL.

Not won a cup yet. Went on terrible run after winter break.

Budget was increased but so was income.  Made a smaller loss under Gerrard, generates more money from transfer fees that previous manager whilst keeping to amortisation constant, no mean feat....ours is growing exponentially at the mo’.

Looks like budget directly proportionate to getting through the Europa cup qualifying rounds (both seasons) as income increased, but so are policing costs (staggeringly high).  Look at their previous recent attempts (of course some years they weren’t in Scottish Prem).

C5F7AE6A-242A-4351-ADAB-DB64DAE1BAD8.thumb.jpeg.3cb72571b349ab0bbab5f224a6fb9c2b.jpeg

Don't get me wrong, he’s been well backed, but from looking at the accounts he’s used that backing more efficiently than the previous manager.  But too many basing their view on finishing second in a league where they are playing a huge game of catch up to Celtic.

From a Europa Cup point of view he’s been a success....and he’s earned Rangers £14.3m extra in 18/19 just by getting to the Group Stages.  I don’t think that should be readily dismissed.  He’s done that twice in two years.  This season he got them out of the group, beat Braga in the last 32...and into the last 16 where they look likely to go out to Leverkusen.  Will be more than £14.3m this year.

Most of us are sat here not being close enough to how he’s done really.  A bit of digging finds out lots of stuff.

If he leaves, he’ll be leaving them in a much better state than they were in when he joined.  That deserves some credit.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Josh Brownhill? Cost £200k in compensation to PNE, then sold for £9m?

LJ made plenty of mistakes, but just like his positional switch of Reid which netted us £10m for someone we would have gladly released a couple of years before, Brownhill was all down to him.

Great signing but definitely NOT a punt as Brownhill had Championship experience prior to coming to us. When you look at the amount of money we have spent on lower league or Premier League Academy punts including wages we could have brought in significantly more quality and maybe achieved the aims of the owner...........rather than having a squad of 40+ with nineteen (yes 19) midfield and wide players in it and the likes of Rene Gilmartin who is just a complete and utter waste of a wage, however modest, for a club our size but with our ambitions.

Archived